Best route/travel times for LA to BRC drive?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Best route/travel times for LA to BRC drive?

Postby HughMungus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:37 am

What's the best route? Looks like 600-something miles. How long does it really take?
HughMungus

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:04 pm

I have heard some from LA say thay they like to head East or Northeast out of LA and pick up US 395 up the back side of the Sierras to Reno.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby HughMungus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:15 pm

geekster wrote:I have heard some from LA say thay they like to head East or Northeast out of LA and pick up US 395 up the back side of the Sierras to Reno.

Interesting. I'm assuming that traffic along that route would be less than driving up I-5 (?) to Sacramento, SF, etc., right? Looks like it might be shorter, too. Any downside?
HughMungus

Postby Ivy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:09 pm

There are three common routes from LA to BM:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... o_brc.html

I drove the 5 my first two years and up the 395 through Carson City last year. never done option three, but I've had friends do it and I've heard it recommended to avoid traffic in Carson City and word has it it's a flatter route, for trailers and the like.

My $0.02: if you're driving at night, go up the 5, more stuff open 24/7 that way. Aside from that, I really liked the 395 drive last year and will probably be going that way again. Going up the 5 takes me ~5-6 hours to Sacramento + ~2-3 hours to Reno + ~2 hours to BRC. Last year I think we left LA around 9 a.m and got to Reno around 6, but we stopped a few times for lunch and snacks.

Hope that helps.
Ivy

Postby HughMungus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:12 pm

We're actually picking up our RV a day early just so we can hit the road the next morning and not have to drive too much at night. Great link, Ivy, thanks. I think it'll be 395.

Funny, this will be the 5th different route to burning man for me in 6 years.
HughMungus

Postby Gatecrasher » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Go to yahoo maps and enter 'black rock city, nv' for the destination to get a driving distance.
Gatecrasher

Postby squish » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:06 am

If you have time, check out Mono Lake near Lee Vining, if you've never been there.
There's also a good restaurant in the Mobil station in Lee Vining.
And no, I'm not pulling your leg!
squish

Burning Since: 1999

Postby hunter S » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:50 am

Dallas, sqawh is right on. Mono Lake is a must stop, I make that drive once a month min. if you gas up in Mojave prices are still fair, try to make next fuel stop in Bishop (carry exstra gas if possible, gas between Bishop and NV. border is some of the highest you'll ever see. pumps are priced in 1/2 gal if that tells ya anything) minden /gardnerville are the cheapest,lower taxes. Reno is about .25 gal more. things to see Mt. whitney (look lest at lone pine) Tully Elk herd in field lft side of rd. at fish creek just before big pine. great hot springs for a refresh behinde mammoth air port(well marked great road 6mi deversion) if time allows you might detuor out to Bodie (gost town) when you get to Walker, hit the walker burger (yum!) next thing you know your in topaz NV. been some road delays should be about done buy now. good luck enjoy the side of the sierras that grt over looked by most.
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!
hunter S

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:11 am

Yes, the drive from about Bishop to Mono Lake is through one of the most geologically active places in the continental US. There are several hot springs (some hot enough to boil you) around the Long Valley Caldera.

The road West from Lee Vining is also called Tioga Pass Road and is the back way into Yosemite.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby stuart » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:40 am

Dallas, I have done that drive 5 years in an R.V.

1st year I did 395 during the day. I have done the 5 at night ever since. Last year I made it from doorstep to playa in eleven hours in a bounder. As per mileage, L.A. is a big place but 600 plus or minus a few is correct for the I-5 route. It's a matter of taste. If you want to sight see, meander, what have you don't do the 5. If you just want to get to the playa as soon as possible take I-5 leaving Los angeles between 8 p.m. and midnight. This gives you a traffic free drive the whole way, gas and food are frequent, and it gets you on the playa before it starts getting hot. The only drawback is the donner pass in a big RV. Driving an RV up the 5 or 405 during the daytime in L.A. sucks. Skinny lanes, slow ass traffic.
call me baby
stuart

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks