17%
No, but maybe I can cancel everything else and try
No votes
I realize this is a joke
83%

Total votes : 6

Make my art for me because I'm a slacker

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi. I'm an idiot and I have a stupid art/music/theme camp idea that I insist you execute for me. I will try to be cute and funny as I make you do my bidding, which is a poorly thought out, malformed, unrealistic idea that will make everybody love me. I hope it helps that I'm making this demand so late in the game as I have been very busy not doing lots of other things. You will need to give me a generator, some tents, a PA system, and some candy. I rock.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby saint_al » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 am

Talk to the folks at Clear Channel. You'll have lotsa "music", too.
"New Dawn Fades" feeds me.
saint_al

Location: Carterville, Illinois (Our anagram: ILL EVIL IN SOIL CRATER)

Re: Make my art for me because I'm a slacker

Postby robotland » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:23 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Hi. I'm an idiot and I have a stupid art/music/theme camp idea that I insist you execute for me. I will try to be cute and funny as I make you do my bidding, which is a poorly thought out, malformed, unrealistic idea that will make everybody love me. I hope it helps that I'm making this demand so late in the game as I have been very busy not doing lots of other things. You will need to give me a generator, some tents, a PA system, and some candy. I rock.

Okay.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:11 am

Gimme Gimme Gimme. I want my fucking gift! I want you to help me practice LNT. I make the mess, you do the LNT pickup. Oh and that generator needs to be fully fueled and will you stick around to fire it up when I need it? And I want no less than 9 kinds of candy along with free alcohol, and can you make sure that tent is setup by Monday afternoon? And I hope it's no trouble that I'm asking for even more with only 30 days to go. Gimme, gimme, gimme, I want my fucking gifts! What'cha saying you won't help me? Don't you have community spirit you freakin slacker and self-centered freak? Give me my fucking gifts and my setup! </sarcasm>((And unfortunately for some it's not far from the truth))
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:15 am

Okay 37 broken beads, 3 used shoelaces, a moldy leather jacket, 17 dust bunnies, half a bottle of oversweet cassis, some rusty rebar, and a Little Orphan Annie sheet (contour/fitted) for your shade structure. You're a real camp now...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:23 am

Whoops! I almost forgot the most important part, half a bottle of half dried out Gorilla Glue!

They'll be lining up around the block to participate at your place!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:01 am

Oh man ohman ohmanohman... >>giggles<<

Y'know, if I was doing my own camp this year I'd bring all that cra... er... stuff up, and try to make some kind of camp outta it. Now *that's* art!

You forgot the going from camp to camp to bum water, 'cuz it's too much hassle to bring your own. Oh, and feed me, too! But it has to be food I like. Don't forget all the booze you're gonna bring for me...

At least I now know where my moldy leather jacket went to... been looking for that for years!!

(Edited once for typos)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Re: Make my art for me because I'm a slacker

Postby HughMungus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:03 am

Everyone who buys a ticket is paying for someone else's art concept. I hate it that the "art" that's funded by burning man is some of the LEAST particapatory concepts at Burning Man (spinning boulders, give me a fucking break) -- especially compared to theme camps and individual actions which are the most particapatory concepts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: let's get back to basics.
HughMungus

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:24 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: let's get back to basics

I propose a $100.00 art grant payable to every participant in the form of a reduced ticket price, you can find the money by taking the man off that stupid pedestal he's on every year since, uhh.. what? 2000?
Chai Guy

Postby HughMungus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Chai Guy wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: let's get back to basics

I propose a $100.00 art grant payable to every participant in the form of a reduced ticket price, you can find the money by taking the man off that stupid pedestal he's on every year since, uhh.. what? 2000?

Couldn't agree more. Not only a waste of money but it's basically destroyed the ambiance that used to exist at the foot of the man. Now every square foot near The Man is bicycle parking.

BORG, you listening?
HughMungus

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:56 pm

I happen to like the pedestals including the Aztec style pyramid base with the seriously steep steps from '03. At least the man was visible. Heck I could even see him from Jungo Road that year. Don't scrap the pedestals!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby stuart » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:18 pm

looks pretty damned participatory to me

guess you missed the mog party out there in '03

I find the big art is kind of like a visual punctuation to the experience as a whole. It's good to have sensory detail happening in varying scales in order to enrich the experience.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:00 pm

you can find the money by taking the man off that stupid pedestal

Different people, different years and different experience.

I rememeber the times when the Man just stood like the rest of us on the playa.

The best moments being when the Man was raised using a big ass hawser rope and the children were encourage to PULLL!!!!.

It was a lovely thing.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby HughMungus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:46 am

stuart wrote:looks pretty damned participatory to me

guess you missed the mog party out there in '03

I find the big art is kind of like a visual punctuation to the experience as a whole. It's good to have sensory detail happening in varying scales in order to enrich the experience.

With all due respect, stuart, I don't see the end result. You spin a boulder or you climb onto a slab of rock. What have you done other than spun a boulder and climbed onto a slab of rock?
HughMungus

Postby Ranger Genius » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:53 am

Cooperated with the other people who climbed that slab of rock to get it swinging hard? Helped others onto or off of the sculpture? Formed a permanent bond with someone who gave you a hand up?

I did.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:13 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Gimme Gimme Gimme. I want my fucking gift! I want you to help me practice LNT. I make the mess, you do the LNT pickup. Oh and that generator needs to be fully fueled and will you stick around to fire it up when I need it? And I want no less than 9 kinds of candy along with free alcohol, and can you make sure that tent is setup by Monday afternoon? And I hope it's no trouble that I'm asking for even more with only 30 days to go. Gimme, gimme, gimme, I want my fucking gifts! What'cha saying you won't help me? Don't you have community spirit you freakin slacker and self-centered freak? Give me my fucking gifts and my setup! </sarcasm>((And unfortunately for some it's not far from the truth))

I'm quoting this becuase Kinetic IV was so good you simply must read it again.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby HughMungus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:22 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Cooperated with the other people who climbed that slab of rock to get it swinging hard? Helped others onto or off of the sculpture? Formed a permanent bond with someone who gave you a hand up?

I did.

Um...can I get a grant if I help my neighbors setup their shelter? It's the same thing. Participants should not have to spend part of their hard-earned money for some "art" that re-creates the same participatory environments found all over the playa (that were not funded by the participants). I'd rather have lower ticket prices which allows more types of people to attend (and meet them and interact with them) than public "art" that adds basically nothing new to the participatory nature of the event.
HughMungus

Postby stuart » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:48 am

I've helped put up structures and I've partied on those rocks. Not the same.

I remember when I first saw that thing, early on and in the dead of night. I loved the look of it but would not get anywhere near the rocks. I was way too fucking scared for that. I would have loved to have been there when the first person braved climbing it. I would have loved to have been there when the first couple climbed up onto a boulder in solitude. I would have loved to have been there when the first impromptu swinging boulder dance party erupted. That piece was not only lovely IMNSHO it, through the magic of burning man, was a fulcrum for a variety of wacky social and personal experiences. If 3 bucks outta my ticket went to help make it happen I am happy for it. I don't like all the big art out there. Just like I don't like all the music, all the smaller art, all the crafts, and certainly not all the people. But as I said before, to get rid of the variety of scale and experience would, in my mind, be quite a diminishment.

I cried my eyes out at the temple the first year it was up. Last year I gazed upon Jabba D2, or whatever, and said WTF? YMMV but it is the V part that I don't want to give up.
call me baby
stuart

Postby HughMungus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:15 pm

stuart wrote:YMMV but it is the V part that I don't want to give up.

I hear ya. I just think the money would be better-spent elsewhere. I doubt we'll ever resolve these opinions. :D
HughMungus

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:08 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:<snip>I doubt we'll ever resolve these opinions. :D
Then I must die unfulfilled.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 pm

*bump*
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:49 am

crap, reminds me I have to note you jellybeans...
spectabillis

tallbikes and choppers and rickshaws oh my!!

Postby Desert Duck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:20 pm

As someone who directly benefits from funds made available by grants and backing of various kinds, I am O.K. with things the way they are. I don't expect anyone to clean up after me, quite the opposite, but if it hadn't been for art grants, I wouldn't have been able to participate in the creation of a project that when put to use was beneficial to the public, interactive, caused people to think, and also to interact with each other in a way that would not have been otherwise possible. Sometimes it's a matter of scale. Or something like that.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby robotland » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:08 pm

I, on the other hand, have only been made The Recipient of A General Grant by virtue of taking my roll pennies to the bank and asking the teller for a fifty.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Desert Duck » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Good thing you didn't drop 'em on the way there!! So, how'd you get that load in, wheelbarrow? :lol:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 am

The world owes me a buzz... and some candy.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby RingO'Fire » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:The world owes me a buzz... and some candy.

Damn straight! You're way too cute to buy your own drinks!
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

bippity boppity bockbock

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm

I've got LOTS of candy, and I've got drinks. I need a SHRUBBERY!
Can you help? Oh, wait. Here it is. Okay, then...can I get an AMEN?
Oh, yeah. Lemme get a hallelujah!!

I am no longer Desert Duck...I am now THE FIST ! :evil:
thanks jellyfish :lol:
Desert Duck

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Where's my flying car?! I was promised flying cars!!!
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:50 pm

Not until I get a HALLELUJAH!!
Then you can have TWO flying cars.
Here, drink this(hands bottle of absinthe)
Now hold this(hands steering wheel coated with LSD and DMSO)
Now don't forget to use your turn signals. :shock:

OOOhhhh. I feel funny. Heehee heh hhUUUUUUGGGCCCHHHH!!!!!! :o
Desert Duck

Next

Return to Open Discussion