LIVE FREE - Libertarian Party Theme Camp?!?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: LIVE FREE - Libertarian Party Theme Camp?!?

Postby Nipple » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:why would having a political sign in your camp area be any more annoying than a PETA or Che Guevara camp?

I totally rolled by the Vegan camp last year.

That place was pure bummer. Here I am at the biggest party on the planet, and some dudes are peeing in the punch bowl by hanging a bunch of posters that say things like, "THIS SHEEP WAS SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER" and "BLAH BLAH BLAH MURDER".

Man... I ostensibly AGREE with these folks, but the message and the medium left me cold.

I think it would be rad if you brought something to the playa that celebrated your orthodoxy, however it's going to be tough. You have to do it in a way that isn't shilling, and puts your message out there as part of the celebration. Can you put your message out there with some art to it, so it doesn't feel like you're getting hit in the face with an STI phallus? (Last thing I want is Ron Paul herpes.)

If you want my opinion... AND MORE THAN ANYTHING I AM SURE THAT YOU DO: Do it! (as long as you can do it without being awful, and it is SUPER easy to be awful with this kind of stuff.)
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Whenever I, a self-acknoledged douche, think of giving and sharing with the community, I first think of food and beverages, ice cones, coffee camps, pancakes, then I think about the gift of labor, sweating for another, next comes laughs and art and live music, free hugs are in here, somewhere way down that list are dj's. Oh well, someone's political beliefs as to the solutions to all our concerns.......I'm sure someone will welcome that heartfelt gift. Heck, I got some of that to give also !

As for expression, I'm all for that. Put up yard signs for the other competeing candidates also, in a row, as performance art, I'm sure that will bring in conversation and even more questions about the less known candidates and parties. It'll be a lively exchange of ideas. Sort of like here......

And that evening, Spartans vs. Libertarians, In The DOME !!!!

There are politics and there are politics, my little furry white friend.
To whom do we owe our loyalty? Our family, our closest proven friends, yes, of course!
To some theory of economics or some faraway office in DC? To a political party that seems more interested in dividing the country rather than solving actual problems?
To my friends and family, there I pledge my allegiance. The big organizations, I just try to stay out of their way.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

Daughter? Hell - that sheep might have been someones girlfriend ! :shock:

CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Nipple » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am

I don't know what your platform is but you have my vote this November, Mr. Senator.
Nipple

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am

I'm moving this over to Open Discussion, which fits the current posts in this thread much better.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am

HandJamMasterC wrote:Daughter? Hell - that sheep might have been someones girlfriend ! :shock:

yo, i'd hit that.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Man, I read this 3 or 4 times trying to figure out what the hell I was reading.

HandJamMasterC wrote:Daughter? Hell - that sheep might have been lonesomebri's girlfriend ! :shock:

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Tengerguy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Lonesomebri,

I love the ideas here. Gotten back to feeling glad I posted this again. If Gary Johnson, Joe Biden, and whoever the Green Party candidate is, fought Homer Simpson, Pat Paulsen (he's "middle of the bird"), and the Architect from the Matrix movies for a seat on the Supreme Court, in a six round jello wrestling match with President Obama as the judge of "fairness in jello allocation" and with the CPD keeping everyone out who didn't climb the fireman's pole at least 15 feet . . . . THEN I might have a theme camp.

Got it.

:-)
Tengerguy

Postby 1durphul » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Joe, I too am a political junkie.

But is the playa really the place for real world politics? If you are there and thinking about the world outside, maybe you're not letting your imagination carry you as far from your troubles as it could if you just forgot about the outside world for a week.

Most of us are glad to not have cell phones, computers, and TVs out there. Why do you think that is? Because we are on a vacation not just from our jobs but reality as a whole.

I remember a few years ago this guy wandered up to our camp, and asked if he could talk to us about something he had on his mind. He then went on a 2-3 minute completely coherent rant about fossil fuels, and the evils of modern american politics (Bush was president at the time.) And I remember looking around our shade structure and everybody in it just seemed completely disinterested, and i was too. But I know in the real world all these people would have agreed with the guy and wanted to talk more. Just... out there these things don't matter, they don't exist, and we only have one week out of the year for them not to exist.

So Joe, as much as you love your libertarianism, I suspect you'll find a certain level in disappointment when even like minded people avoid discussing it on the playa. Who wants to think about that stuff when there is so much fun to be had? So many new experiences to experience. What would be worse for your experience is they didn't just avoid discussing it, they started to avoid you. Despite being like minded.

Just a thought.
1durphul

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Isn't it kind of redundant on the playa?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Go Giants.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:44 am

Tyler Perry will be at Burning Man next year.
Ugly Dougly

Previous

Return to Open Discussion