Minnesota?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Minnesota?

Postby lookout » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:56 am

I haven't seen too much from the folks of Minnesota.
Anybody out there?
We have a dome and a van.

Lot's o love for all of you.

Lookout!
lookout

Changes...

Postby lookout » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:41 am

We lost the van. Somewhere near Austin it just wandered off into the woods mumbling something about how a Ford cargo van doesn't get the respect it deserves.
So I have hooked up a class I hitch to the mighty VW Jetta to which we will attach a 4x6 trailer. Hopefully this should prove to be enough to haul our home and toys to the playa.
Still have not heard from anyone in Minnesota or the surrounding states. Any Iowinians out there? We will be coming down I-35 to I-80 on the 28th.

Lots of love,
lookout
lookout

Postby PaulinMN » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Hey Lookout-

Yep, things are always fairly quiet here in MN. I'm actually the regional contact for the state, and it's always been hard to find other local burners, although I know they're here....

So is this your first trip to BRC? This year will be my 6th. How many are in your camp? Do you have a theme camp? We've had a theme camp for the last 3 years, but we're not doing it this year - this is supposed to be the "back to basics" year for us.

BTW,I'm trying to find a travel companion for my drive out - if you know or hear of anyone please send them my way!

Happy Trails - drive safely and all that-
Paul G
PaulinMN

BM revisited

Postby lookout » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:20 pm

Hey Paul,
If everything works out this will be my second trip to the playa. I have tried to go every year since 99' but have always had to cancel or turn around. In 2002 I made it as far as Casper, WY. when my motorcycle decided to have a major meltdown, so I limped back on 3 cyclinders, trailer in tow to Nebraska were I rented a truch and hauled my sorry butt home.
We are planning on being a part of Hushville this year, a couple folks from 99' will be there and it is in relativly close to the action (5:00 Earth).
Having been through the duststorms of 99 I am bringing a geodesic dome that could survive an atomic attack.
Stop by for a bourbon sour and a chat.

lookout
lookout

Postby bdongray » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:29 pm

I live in Hopkins (actually I'm about to move to Minnetonka - I close on Aug 27 - Cutting it a little close - oh well.)

You?

PaulinMN wrote:Yep, things are always fairly quiet here in MN. I'm actually the regional contact for the state, and it's always been hard to find other local burners, although I know they're here....

I didn't know we had a regional contact for the state. Hello Paul!

I've only ever found a few BM people around here, and somehow all related to the band "All The Pretty Horses" (I met Emily out there, and she knows Cali and a few others). In my old neighborhood (very suburbian Lakeville) I was a curiosity, there was extreme interest in the creativity I'd do, but why would I go to some hippy event - they just couldn't understand it! :D

I think we should have a "<I>MinnesotaBurningMan</I>" discussion group on Yahoo? Do you want me to set it up, or is there something similar already? Advertize it on eplaya, and maybe we'd get quite a few people sign up (and be active chatting) to be able to do a regional get-together every now and then?

PaulinMN wrote:So is this your first trip to BRC? This year will be my 6th. How many are in your camp? Do you have a theme camp? We've had a theme camp for the last 3 years, but we're not doing it this year - this is supposed to be the "back to basics" year for us.

It's my 3rd year (although I was trying to go since 1998). I'm camping with the GF, I hope to RV it, but she think we'd be ok with a "popup". I know... a little chaos in my planning!

I am making an art exhibit out on the Playa (I have registered, etc, and got my spot), so I'm planning to haul a generator (which I need to get or rent), and I still need to build a fair bit of the exhibit ...
Hmmm... I seem to be showing my character, I am <B>*so*</B> a last minute planner type of person! And all while buying a house! And just a month or so after going through a divorce (ok, the paperwork is still going through the courts). Talk about juggling everything!

PaulinMN wrote:BTW,I'm trying to find a travel companion for my drive out - if you know or hear of anyone please send them my way!

Sorry, I need to drive myself with all my (tons of) stuff:
+ Leaving Friday night, expecting to arrive early Monday (to setup the art).
+ Starting my return Monday morning (estimating to get back Wednesday night).

I did the drive last year, hauling a big 12x8 trailer, so had to keep to about 55-60mph. It took me 30 hours drive time. Quite a nice drive I thought. I think I might be able to do the limit this time. I also want to put some obvious signs to tell other Burners on the road 8)

Both years I bought my ticket at the gate, as a "sort of" insurance in case I didn't get there, I keep thinking I should buy one before, but I just know I won't. Maybe someone will have a low-cost ticket at the gate because someone couldn't come.
--
Bryan
bdongray

Postby lookout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:43 am

Anyone up for meeting for an afternoon late lunch or a beverage?
Any place in the twin cities is good for me.
I vote for Paul to set this up so he can retain his crown of Regional Contact.

lookout

Whoops! I accidently posted this on the main board too. I need more coffee....
lookout

Hook or Crook

Postby thedukesutton » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:19 pm

I first heard about Burning Man in 2000 and have wanted to go ever since. Every single year I have had to cancel my plans because of work, but not this year - I just quit my job and am desperately attempting to find a ride to BM 2004.

If anyone has a bit of space to help me out, I can help out with money, gas, supplies, or whatever. I don't smell, I dig on road trips, and can roll with whatever time frame or help is needed.

I saw a post on this thread from PaulG about having room but it was posted so long ago I'm not sure if he still has room.

If you have any leads, please email Carl_G_Jung@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Duke
thedukesutton

I'm in MN!

Postby pixiecup » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I live in an eastern 'burb, and I'm a first-time Burner this year!

I'm flying in, so I'm just going to take what I can, and I'm planning to camp alone, even though I'm a little bit nervous.

I can't wait!! :)

Nice to see a FEW other Minnesotans on here. :)

--Jess
pixiecup

Are we there yet?

Postby lookout » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:37 am

This is getting ridiculous, I cannot wait anymore!
The dome is done, the trailer is parked in the garage awaiting supplies, costumes?... still got a couple to finish.
We are camping at Hushville which is at 5:00 Earth, I invite everyone to swing by and say hello and have a cup of tea.

Lookout
lookout

last minute, I know...

Postby grid » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:33 pm

OK, so it's last minute, I know, but I'm very serious about making it to burning man this year. (I've never been before, though I've always wanted to go.)

I would make a great travel companion, I hope.

Please email me asap if you have room.
-marty
grid [AT] livingtech.net
grid

Welcome Home

Postby PaulinMN » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:00 am

Hello Fellow MN Burners!

I hope that you all made it home safely.

I'd like to try and plan a decompression for this year and am looking for ideas and suggestions as to where and how we might do this. We (my wife and I) have always had a decompression party at our house, but the emphasis usually ends up being on "party"...

Anyway, if any of you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. I think I'll post this as its own topic here as well.

Also, anyone interested in meeting for coffee or coctails sometime soon to share pictures and stories from this year's event?

Let me know.

And BTW, the "default" world sucks.
PaulinMN

Postby pixiecup » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:21 am

I'd totally love a decompression party/get-together/whatever. It's not easy being back here.

I'm in an eastern suburb, but I'll go wherever. I don't know anyone else in MN who went to Bman, but I'd love meet some local burners!
pixiecup

Postby DangerMouse » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:25 pm

There are actually Iowans that went. I know of at least two, which includes myself and my camp mate. *shrug*
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

freezing but still burning

Postby Blue Jester » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:36 pm

I am very pleased that there are a # of other burners in minnesota. I always new there had to be. I first heard of burning man in 2000 but my first year was 2004. I did not know if i would be totally down with the whole situation but it turns out i did not even know what the situation was, but it turns out I love it. When I got back i was yearning for more but did not know where to start. well I think I found it on eplaya. anyway, I would really like to get involved in any way i could. I just know there are so many people in the twin cities and all over minnesota who would really dig this whole scene if they knew it existed.
Blue Jester

Return to Regionals & Events