Improv Comedy in BRC

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Improv Comedy in BRC

Postby Ozone » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:42 pm

Looking to join and / or start an improv group on the playa. I mostly play long form, and would be looking to play with people who perhaps have studied improv at a theater such as improv olympic, second city, comedy sportz, the groundlings, UCB, etc. I imagine my 35 or so campmates would like to see a show, and then maybe take it to one of the stages, possibly the spoken-word stage in Center Camp.

I have played for about three years in Chicago, studying/playing at Second City, Improv Olympic, the Annoyance theaters.

Playa improvisors--holler in this direction. Or e-mail me:
ryanastone@yahoo.com
Ozone

---

Postby Natalia Von Magpie » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:52 am

you know what would maybe be fun?? finding a few other "trained" type people to help you out, but to somehow make it interactive.

I dont at all fancy myself an "actor" but I've taken a few acting classes where we did really fun, and really hilarious exercises. .. like where two or three people are in a scene, and then the leader keeps yelling "freeze!", and a new person jumps in to replace the old. all I remember is becoming some kind of hesher frog, jumping, headbanging, and singing the "mama talkin to me" song from up in smoke... (and that is me NOT on drugs)

maybe these are dumb ideas (im full of them), and I'm not an acTOR, and you really just want to do a performance for the civillians.. but i keep reading about all this "participating' and "interaction" stuff..

or maybe you could ask visitors to fill out cards filled with various words/phrases that could later be yelled out and integrated into the scene on command - then the acTORs could still be performing but the audience would have a way to interact. i would hang out for that.
Natalia Von Magpie

Postby Ozone » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:49 pm

Yes to all of that. Improv is very open to audience participation, be it overt or even at it's most tacit.

What you describe is closer to short form, the kind of stuff you see on Who's Line is it Anyway? That's funny stuff and those guys are great, but longform is fairly different and can really go into larger themes and push limits further. There is plenty to be learned from those excercises, though.

It's something I definitely want to share with BRC, both as a performer, and yes, if desired, as a teacher. And certainly, improv is something anyone can do. But it can also be like playing a instrument. A well trained jazz combo can do things first-timers couldn't.

Yeah, so can I get a suggestion of a wacky use for a waffle iron? Thanks. Boiyoyiyoiyoinoinoinoinng!!!
Ozone

Try the BRCPO

Postby spank » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:54 pm

The black rock city post office is the most fun one on one theatrical improv I've ever experienced.

we're always seeking actors, 24 hours a day.

www.souplove.org

or com. i'm not sure.

Spank!
SPANK!
BRCPO
Burners for Kerry - www.burners4kerry.com
spank

PlayaProv

Postby Lostfolio » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:03 pm

Hey there, Ozone. I'm a Chicago trained and hardened imrpvisor in Seattle these days. I was just posting to Yesand.cm about improv on the playa. I think long form is the way to go with this. I camp with Flight To Mars and we have a courtyard in the structure this year that would be perfect for hmmmmm.....
Love pussy, hate Bush
Lostfolio

Postby Ozone » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:03 am

Yes, have some.

I'll check out yesand.

We should know our address soon, but I'm camping witht he Ornsbee for Mayor camp. Plenty of hijinks. you can e-mail me at ryanastone@yahoo.com with ideas. We don't have a stage, but I imagine we could still put on a show at our camp. I'd also like to do one at center camp if spoken word acts can go for a half hour.

Shit you guys got ballcrawls and whatnot at Flight to Mars? That's hot.

The post office is a good idea, too. I went there last year and it's funny. Maybe too much of a reminder of the real world, though. It's barely worse than the actual post office. You need to smack people in the mouth and package bomb them the second they ask for help. Also, you should give them real letters to deliver to various playa addresses, and there could be instructions for getting in touch later. Then see how many actually found their addressees and compare to the USPS. I bet you'd win.
Ozone

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:14 am

I did theatersports for a couple of years... a decade ago. I would love to shake some rust off and exercise those muscles.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:59 pm

Ozone,

If you guys want to broadcast some of your comedy I would be more than happy to do it. my site is ready for all that want to broadcast their art.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Lostfolio » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:48 am

So, I've been giving this whole improv on the playa thing some thought and this is what I came up with:

I think some kind of fairly unstructured long form would work best. Sort of a scenic expansion or a Movie. Maybe do awaya with the audience suggestion and while we're at it, the audience: just consider the people watching (if any) to be set pieces or slightly reluctant players. I've been working with a DJ in my improv ensemble here in Seattle in place of a keyboardist. Maybe that would work playa side as well?

Thoughts? Opinions? Erotic Poetry?
Love pussy, hate Bush
Lostfolio

Postby Ozone » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:52 pm

"some kind of fairly unstructured long form ... Sort of a scenic expansion or a Movie. Maybe do awaya with the audience suggestion and while we're at it, the audience: just consider the people watching (if any) to be set pieces or slightly reluctant players."

That's a pretty good description of life, I think. Which is funny and good. Then again, Thunderdome is like life too, just extra. That's what good improv is, too.
Ozone

Improv at The Lost Penguin

Postby KitchenGodDave » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:29 am

Hey Ozone,

I've been doing improv for about six years now. I trained at the Second City here in Toronto and went all the way through their conservatory program. I also have some very experienced and funny improv frineds that will be on playa too. We have a stage at The Lost Penguin and are always looking for acts to fill it. Long form sounds good to me.

Kitchen God Dave
KitchenGodDave

Postby Ozone » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:58 pm

Right on, KitchenGodDave.

Except Canadians aren't funny. We all know this.

Huhhuh. The first season of Kids in the Hall is making my summer (and that's all of Canadian comedy, right?....right?). This sounds great.

So I'll send you a privatized message or an e-mail and maybe we can find a time to meet earlier in the week and pick a show time or two. It doesn't matter too much, but then I can tell my camp when and where.

I'm willing to get as ambitious or laid back about a show(s) as would serve the group. If people are looking to crack out a long form set or two, that would be hot. Others, (as you can see above) have suggested classes. I have never taught before, but I would be willing to, or to tell people about any classes you're having. What a great way to discover improv. Could be quite a playa gift to some (or a curse, yes?). Perhaps BRC should somehow participate in creating a new form. Maybe playa stories are the sources in monologue (something like an Amando Diaz Experience or the Mosaic) but with non-improvisor sources.

My mind reels.

So you can e-mail me at ryanastone@yahoo.com if you've got suggestions for a meeting time/place early in the week. Cool.

-Stone
Ozone

CINEMASPORTS AT BURING MAN: MOVIES MADE ON THE PLAYA IN ONE

Postby jin » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:11 am

I hope all you all consider participating in an event that I organize called Cinemasports. It motivates people to make a movie on the playa in a day. Sign up for more info, or just show up at the kick-off. Hope to see you there.

Jin

CINEMASPORTS AT BURING MAN: MOVIES MADE ON THE PLAYA IN ONE DAY

Cinemasports is the iron chef of filmmaking. Cinemasports starts with the announcement of "ingredients" on Wednesday afternoon. Teams have one day to complete a movie with those ingredients. Finished movies screen on Thursday evening.

For Example, can teams make a 3 minute movie that includes a tattoo artist, a watermelon seed, and a conversation about hair replacement? We explore how the same ingredients inspire different creative minds. San Francisco Magazine says, "...the results are crazed but inspired."

Anyone can participate. Filmmakers, actors, and those who wish they were. Bring you own team or come alone, and bring a video camera if you have one.

KICK-OFF MEETING FOR PARTICIPANTING FILMMAKERS AND ACTORS
We announce ingredents and guidelines on
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1
2PM at The Man at the Center of Black Rock City
(6:00 side facing center camp)

SCREENING OF FINISHED MOVIES
The entire public is invited.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3
8:30PM Camp Videogasm
Located at Snowflake Villiage
Esplanade@ 8:00

Any questions?

http://www.cinemasports.com
info@cinemasports.com
On the playa Information is available at Camp Videogasm in Snowflake Village (Esplanade @ 8:00).
jin

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities