Root Society is so ready to burn!!

Root Society is so ready to burn!!

Postby jefr » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 am

Thought you might like an update:
Yes, The Crystal Method is playing on Friday night at Root Society-they've never been to the desert before :)

We are going to show the full length 2002 edit of Metropolis on our giant video screen (56wx28h)at dusk on wed night...the sound track is amazing and you've never watched a movie on this kind of sound system!

A few observations on our camp's placement.
We have been on the 10:00 corner the last 4 years. Before that we had 3 years working hard, learning and earning our stripes with all the mistakes: bad wedding tents, bad music, etc. A couple of our camps took a week to build and only 14 people came. I have a very good relationship with the bm mgt team and before placement in 09 we discussed some alternatives to the corner(we ended up on the corner) and I sensed their desire to mix up the corners to allow for the natural growth of "up and coming" camps. Basically mirroring life--if you work hard good things are supposed to happen--at Burning man the corner location is perceived as the ultimate spot.

We began discussions in February of 2010 and collectively we agreed to move back a few streets because it was the right thing to do and I obviously didn't have the final say. My only request was to be able to build our stages across the road from our tipi camp. my theory, we'll see if it works, is to create with our huge dome(45 feet high) and video wall a new extended corner of sorts at 10:00 and Baghdad. I am curious if you all think this will work.

Mgt tells me there's a natural big sound camp life of about seven years. Some of you probably remember Sol System and more recently Deep End and being deeply in this Root Society experience I can tell you there is truth in this fact. Root Society has been my love and dream for as long as I remember. Ive been an electronic dj since 1979...and so at the center of all of this is a love for the music. In parallel I have developed friendships along the way that love to build with me. A number of them have joined me on this bizarre Burning man journey. We discussed after a very big year in 09, taking a year off...everyone was proud and tired.

As a side note--We own 4 domes and a Rolling Stone style concert sound system>>building up inventory slowly with a future goal to do a festival of our own. Doesn't seem totally crazy to dust off our baby and explore the world outside the playa walls!
Root Society outside burning man??? "Lets see if it will work"... so I introduced the idea to Ultra in Miami and we pulled off an amazing Root Society party in March 10. And they would like us back.

As the fog cleared, our vision for Metropolis became clear as well, we should do one more year at Burning Man and GO BIG AND GO "HOME"!
We have a fantastic camp layout, 3 stages with our brand new stage "The Tower of Babel" powered by 2 giant 20,000 Lumen projectors, 76 Dj's(all our DJ's are amazing and Ive worked countless hours using the proper channels to bring you artists from 8 countries) and at my count 160 people camping with us.

There are some challenges brought on completely by our own doing.
Try figuring out how many amps you need to power 3 kick ass stages combined with how many pancakes 160 people will eat on Sat morning...you get the idea.

Why is this our last year? One answer is simple (no attitude)...its time!
The other is exciting, and Simon had it right, my wife is due in Feb 11. She has been to the desert with me 4 times and and the last few years she has let me come out and do my thing. My turn to be there for her.
My captains and crew deserve much credit but in the end my dollars and hours glue it all together. Ive lived the motto "if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing" and I cant wait to bring our little piece of the party to the desert one last time!

please come by for a playa hug!
jefr
if it's worth doing<^> it's worth overdoing
jefr

gratitude love and respect

Postby elmagon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:04 am

Jfr,

Thank you for everything you have done
elmagon

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:33 am

Looking forward to it! Thank you jefr, for everything!

Oh...and congratulations!
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby dj_john69 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:51 pm

You rock Jefr !! Thanks for everything !! See ya out there man.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Miles » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 pm

thanks for the wicked parties!
Miles

Postby Elderberry » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Yup, lots of hard work making a baby, uh I mean hosting such a large theme camp. But seriously, thanks and congratulations "Dad"!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby alt12 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:49 pm

thanks Jefr and the whole Root Society team... I've always felt the love there and have enjoyed partying with you guys year after year.... Glad to hear you are going out in style!
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Its been a good run

Postby Patamon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for that update Jefr!

I'm an 11 year Burner, and have been amazed over the past few years at Root Society's transformation on the playa to what it has become today. I have burner friends who have only been coming the past few years so they have no perspective on the Pre-Root days.

You have a great camp that all us little guys aspire too. I don't know if Planet Earth will ever get to Root's level, but you have given us all an example of the possibilities on the playa.
Patamon

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks for all the years of music in an impressive environment. The best for future projects. Several camp production units have gone on to successful sustainable projects outside BM, notably El Circo-Lucent Dossier. BM is a tool for changing yourself, and maybe a little bit of the world. The more you are out in it, the greater the possibility for change.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Thank you from the DANCETRONAUTS!!

Postby centerofgravity » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 pm

First off let me say thank you for everything you have done..the Dancetronauts love you guys. You and your camp have been such an inspiration to help people follow their dreams. We have enjoyed partying in your camp for years and will try our best to keep your legend alive. This will be the sophomore year for the Dancetronauts and The center of gravity camp, and we are looking to make it a great one. We love to promote love through dance music and will always have respect for your style. Should Root Society ever want to do something with the Dancetronauts outside of burning man...you will be welcomed and our loved as we all share the same visions.

Thank you again...Root Society is legendary!

See you on the playa 3pm and Esplanade

centerofgravity

I'm angry!!!

Postby jefr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm feeling unsettled about the burn...i cant wait to hit the playa but at the same time I'm frustrated by the experience.

A simple example--at the gate yesterday we had 3 trucks from Ahern delivering our big equipment(our lull, scissor lift, light tower and cherry picker) that we need to build our domes At the burning man gate "they" wanted each truck to buy a ticket. We were told 2 weeks ago we had to purchase tickets for our deliveries. As ludicrous as this was, we purchased one for each vendor including this one. They would only let one truck in..."one ticket per truck" So after the first driver delivered one truck to our camp, the driver had to come back out to the gate and get a wrist band. Then that same driver had to get in the next truck and drive that one into our site. Then he drove back out and got in the third drivers truck and drove into our camp. The other choice was to buy a ticket for each truck. The vendor charged us 450.00 for the wait time. You can do the math...

Did i mention that this was only one of my seven vendors delivering the equipment(our lull, scissor lift, cherry picker), crane(separate co),sound system, food, scaffolding etc into our camp...did i mention that we pay for all this equipment ourselves so we can put on a volunteer party for all of you? We purposely do not use BM's equipment because we need this stuff in order to build our complicated camp. We do this because we love it but when it feels like you are getting taken advantage of it feels shitty!!!!!!!

I realize i can buy a ticket and pitch a tent and be home...
that's just not the way I've done it the last 8 years.
if I'm whining I'm sure you'll tell me>>
jefr
if it's worth doing<^> it's worth overdoing
jefr

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Wow. That is.. um. Just.. wow.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby RACESV » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 am

Sounds completely f'ed up. Even for all the people that will say the org does not owe you anything, they told you what to do, you did it, and then were screwed at the last possible second. IMO, you are not whining, did what you were told without complaining, it's only the *new* thing they sprung on you that pisses you and me off. Hopefully, they can clear everything up with you and get the rest of your vendors that make your kick ass camp possible.
RACESV

Re: I'm angry!!!

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:08 am

jefr wrote:I'm feeling unsettled about the burn...i cant wait to hit the playa but at the same time I'm frustrated by the experience.

A simple example--at the gate yesterday we had 3 trucks from Ahern delivering our big equipment(our lull, scissor lift, light tower and cherry picker) that we need to build our domes At the burning man gate "they" wanted each truck to buy a ticket. We were told 2 weeks ago we had to purchase tickets for our deliveries. As ludicrous as this was, we purchased one for each vendor including this one. They would only let one truck in..."one ticket per truck" So after the first driver delivered one truck to our camp, the driver had to come back out to the gate and get a wrist band. Then that same driver had to get in the next truck and drive that one into our site. Then he drove back out and got in the third drivers truck and drove into our camp. The other choice was to buy a ticket for each truck. The vendor charged us 450.00 for the wait time. You can do the math...

Did i mention that this was only one of my seven vendors delivering the equipment(our lull, scissor lift, cherry picker), crane(separate co),sound system, food, scaffolding etc into our camp...did i mention that we pay for all this equipment ourselves so we can put on a volunteer party for all of you? We purposely do not use BM's equipment because we need this stuff in order to build our complicated camp. We do this because we love it but when it feels like you are getting taken advantage of it feels shitty!!!!!!!

I realize i can buy a ticket and pitch a tent and be home...
that's just not the way I've done it the last 8 years.
if I'm whining I'm sure you'll tell me>>
jefr

Damn Jefr, that's fucked up !! I was at Ahern Rentals yesterday when the returned with 2 scissor lifts and a cherry picker...was that your equipment ?? Burning Man needs to get their heads outta their asses and quit being so fucking greedy !!
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Return to 2010 Theme Camps