Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Elorrum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay, I have cigar boxes that I wish to use as "dioramas". They are too small, but you can put together two boxes of the same size, take out the side and make a bigger shape.
My concern is with the "seam." I don't want a zone of near total weakness on my work, but I'm not sure how to strengthen them. The obvious (to me) is to have a 1 x 2 along the "seam" or attach the whole damn thing to a piece of plywood. The problem is the sawing. I don't have an electric saw and I'm pretty sure I don't have the room, or the itch for one.
Of course, this is totally futile, because I like the basics of the cigar boxes--cheap, easy to get hold of, a little retro... It has been suggested that I go and buy shadow boxes from Mic-hell's, but those are not cheap. So basically, I want a way to bend shape and time and it has to be cheap and easy.
So make suggestions, so I can sulk and not select them and complain about how nobody understands my art.
Actually, I will listen to ideas and but I may not actually follow them. This is some sort of brain-storming, so I'll see where it goes.

tongue depressor size flat sticks make good bracing material. glue across the gap on the back? or slats from wood blinds. There are lots left over when people resize them... maybe call a seven day blinds kind of place?
oh, edit to add: these can be cut with a boxcutter type blade, or small saw?
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:16 am

Does anyone know of a good source for tiny fabric scraps? I dont need anything larger than 6" and can use even as small as 2 x 2" Variety is more important than size.

After trying to revive my original patch pants but realizing that they would need to be let out several inches on every seam I just decided to make a new pair, but no longer have the fabric resources that were available to me in the 70's (mom no longer sews). Back then we also had a fairly large group that swapped patch fabrics as well.

Fabric store remnants / quilting cuts are just too pricey an option as I need a minimum of 100 - 200 different patterns for the proper look.

I miss my patch pants horribly, and through most of the 70's I wore them constantly - except when they were in the laundry. Although they would be way inappropriate in my default world life these days - I would love to get back into a pair for playa evening wear.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby ibdave » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am

Drawingablank wrote:Does anyone know of a good source for tiny fabric scraps? I dont need anything larger than 6" and can use even as small as 2 x 2" Variety is more important than size.

After trying to revive my original patch pants but realizing that they would need to be let out several inches on every seam I just decided to make a new pair, but no longer have the fabric resources that were available to me in the 70's (mom no longer sews). Back then we also had a fairly large group that swapped patch fabrics as well.

Fabric store remnants / quilting cuts are just too pricey an option as I need a minimum of 100 - 200 different patterns for the proper look.

I miss my patch pants horribly, and through most of the 70's I wore them constantly - except when they were in the laundry. Although they would be way inappropriate in my default world life these days - I would love to get back into a pair for playa evening wear.

I'd look into local quilting clubs. I know what my Mother-in-law house looks like... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am

Drawingablank wrote:Does anyone know of a good source for tiny fabric scraps? I dont need anything larger than 6" and can use even as small as 2 x 2" Variety is more important than size.

Thrift store, thrift store, thrift store. Also ask on Freecycle/Clist, for scraps/quilters' scraps.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elorrum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am

back to the cigar box project. I just hit myself in the head. how bout using the wood you removed from the box sides to put the boxes together as the strap/bracing on the back? drill a few holes, and wire them up with some copper wire perhaps, in addition to glue. I've been looking at cigar box guitars and wonder where you find the boxes?

I do projects on my desk. I have a workspace in the garage, but sometimes I'm just working here. I push the keyboard back, and start making a mess. If I need to make small alterations, I don't go to the electric tools. two non electric tools that are good desk top wood working things I really like for small tasks. I've only made a few holes in my desk.
1. yankee or push drill.
2. exacto razor saw
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Donna Matrix » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:58 am

Elorrum wrote:back to the cigar box project. I just hit myself in the head. how bout using the wood you removed from the box sides to put the boxes together as the strap/bracing on the back? drill a few holes, and wire them up with some copper wire perhaps, in addition to glue. I've been looking at cigar box guitars and wonder where you find the boxes?

I do projects on my desk. I have a workspace in the garage, but sometimes I'm just working here. I push the keyboard back, and start making a mess. If I need to make small alterations, I don't go to the electric tools. two non electric tools that are good desk top wood working things I really like for small tasks. I've only made a few holes in my desk.
1. yankee or push drill.
2. exacto razor saw

do you have pictures of what you're creating?
Donna Matrix

Burning Since: 2004

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Not all the cigar boxes are made from wood. I guess it's some sort of press board, and I'm wondering how strong it is intrinsically. Of course, if I'm thinking of buying masonite then maybe there's no fucking difference.
You buy them from your local tobacconist, or from evil, multi-tentacled web-based auction sites.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Not all the cigar boxes are made from wood. I guess it's some sort of press board, and I'm wondering how strong it is intrinsically. Of course, if I'm thinking of buying masonite then maybe there's no fucking difference.
You buy them from your local tobacconist, or from evil, multi-tentacled web-based auction sites.

Cigars International sells them for a dollar each (if you buy 10). Pretty ones, and at that price you could afford to wreck a few trying out different techniques maybe.
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:45 am

I'll take a look MDF. Ta.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Question: When attaching leather straps to fleece, is it better to stitch or rivet? Sewing through leather sucks, and I have a rivet machine. But, whatevers stronger Ill go with.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Damned double posts!
TomServo

Postby jella » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 pm

TomServo wrote:Question: When attaching leather straps to fleece, is it better to stitch or rivet? Sewing through leather sucks, and I have a rivet machine. But, whatevers stronger Ill go with.

Ooh I want a rivet machine ! Seems like that would hold well and look cool 8) win win
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm

TomServo wrote:Question: When attaching leather straps to fleece, is it better to stitch or rivet? Sewing through leather sucks, and I have a rivet machine. But, whatevers stronger Ill go with.

What kind of fleece are you working with?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:38 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:

Polar fleece? A heavier type. The stuff blankets are made from.
TomServo

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

The heavier stuff (200 +) should be okay with rivets. You mean blue-jean type rivets, right? The lighter stuff might pull right off, but the heavier stuff should hold.

Joining two materials of unequal strength is always tricky, especially if the strain is at a single point. Will there be more than one rivet per strap?

What are you making?

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Today's HOT tip:
MLP tramp stamps can be covered with sequin.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:20 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

The heavier stuff (200 +) should be okay with rivets. You mean blue-jean type rivets, right? The lighter stuff might pull right off, but the heavier stuff should hold.

Joining two materials of unequal strength is always tricky, especially if the strain is at a single point. Will there be more than one rivet per strap?

What are you making?

They are heavy duty rivets...not like jeans...and their will be several rivets per strap. Making a straight jacket.
TomServo

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 pm

TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:
TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

What are you making?

They are heavy duty rivets...not like jeans...and their will be several rivets per strap. Making a straight jacket.

Oh then that should be fine, as the force should be distributed pretty evenly and, if the rivets pop it won't be a serious wardrobe malfunction.

I hope you're aware, that type of restraint is rarely used any more because it isn't strangle-proof or even strangle-resistant. Safety Third, right? :lol:

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby TomServo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:
TomServo wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

What are you making?

Oh then that should be fine, as the force should be distributed pretty evenly and, if the rivets pop it won't be a serious wardrobe malfunction.

I hope you're aware, that type of restraint is rarely used any more because it isn't strangle-proof or even strangle-resistant. Safety Third, right? :lol:

Safety is not a concern. And their will be much more than the jacket!
TomServo

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:54 am

If there is going to be any stress on the strap at all standard practice is to both rivet and sew (look at any quality handbag).

Fleece is rather soft as though, so I would suggest sandwiching it between leather at the rivet points - sort of like using a washer on metal parts. Otherwise the rivets will pull through the fleece rather easily.

Hand sewing thick leather can be a PITA, but some shoe repair shops will machine sew it for a reasonable fee.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm going to get gluing that damn piece of wayward art that's been driving me crazy for a year. And once I have that set up, my old wood glue will show up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm

So, is it wrong to use this thread to report the little steps of getting our projects ready? (Instead of advice.) should we start one more like "one little action a day for the burn"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Trishntek » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Drawingablank wrote:

If there is going to be any stress on the strap at all standard practice is to both rivet and sew (look at any quality handbag).

Fleece is rather soft as though, so I would suggest sandwiching it between leather at the rivet points - sort of like using a washer on metal parts. Otherwise the rivets will pull through the fleece rather easily.

Hand sewing thick leather can be a PITA, but some shoe repair shops will machine sew it for a reasonable fee.

The guy creating our camps partitions/curtains out of sheets is reinforcing the edges with webbing,,,, like used with ratchet straps,,,, before attaching the grommets. You could just sew a bit of rip-stop nylon with the fleece sandwiched between. Only where the rivets are placed. Or,,,, possibly rivet through a grommet?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Fufa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, is it wrong to use this thread to report the little steps of getting our projects ready? (Instead of advice.) should we start one more like "one little action a day for the burn"?

It has seemed to morph into a hybrid of asking/answering and reporting. I like it.

Question time for me though! So I've pretty much committed to doing my hair in a ton of smaller braids this year, with yard dreads I've made tied in for added volume when the greasiness takes over. Got sick of the messy bun with a hat look last year. Now I started out making some bright green/yellow/teal/blue/brown/white dreads, and have got about 10 or so made. I hit a bit of a mental road block tonight though. My main costume themes have run along 2 major arteries so far:

The steampunk warrior fighting zombies in the desert during the apocalypse look, with leathers, browns, olive greens, khakis, neutrals etc. Toned down colours with lots of textures. Think Solara from The Book of Eli, but with less and thinner layers.

and

Rainbows on Crack. Tutus, fabric flowers in warm tones of reds/pinks/oranges/yellows, white cowboy boots, that whole deal. LED flowers on my head. Even have a ton of vibrant purple fun fur for my bike.

There is no way I'm going to remove and reinstall dreads everytime I change outfits so which colour scheme do you think I should go for with the dreads?
a) au natural: Shades of brown and beige to match the zombie killer
b) rainbows on crack: every colour the thriftshops and yardsales offer me

I'm currently leaning towards a), but I would love some second, third, and fourth opinions! :D
Fufa

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 pm

I think those are both great ideas, Fufa; I have to admit I like choice "A" a little more too, as I've seen (slightly) more of "B". "A" is also easier to maintain in the dust and looks very organic.

I also think it would be easier to dress up A and add brighter colors or accessories on top of the neutrals for a change than to dress down "B".

You could start with your basic palette and then think ""okay, what colors and textures and highlights would make sense on top of this, when I want to morph into sparkly and light?"
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

Fufa wrote:Got sick of the messy bun with a hat look last year.

My advice?

Don't take a mirror this year.
Then you won't know what you look like, problem solved--and for less effort.
Typical Fishy snark
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby DanusLight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, is it wrong to use this thread to report the little steps of getting our projects ready? (Instead of advice.) should we start one more like "one little action a day for the burn"?

I like the direction of this thread. Little steps lead to experiments. Experimenting is good!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Donna Matrix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Fufa wrote:

There is no way I'm going to remove and reinstall dreads everytime I change outfits so which colour scheme do you think I should go for with the dreads?
a) au natural: Shades of brown and beige to match the zombie killer
b) rainbows on crack: every colour the thriftshops and yardsales offer me

I'm currently leaning towards a), but I would love some second, third, and fourth opinions! :D

I've thought about this.... maybe shave one's head and have wigs? That would be WAY cool... but after the burn it would not be so cool. Hair does get in the way up there.
Donna Matrix

Burning Since: 2004

Postby geospyder » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

My head is shaved. I bring a wig and wear it at least one day. I'd be talking to someone, reach up, remove the wig, scratch my head making a comment about not being used to hair. The expressions on their faces are hilarious when they see me remove the wig.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Fishy: too vain to go mirrorless, and I can imagine how disasterous my mascara would end up. :P

Donna Matrix & geospyder: a worthy suggestion but I got lots of love for this hair of mine! Plus the Mr has a heart attack at the mere mention of making a drastic change to it. Poor dear.
Fufa

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear