Jewelry Suggestions for Piercings

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Jewelry Suggestions for Piercings

Postby whitemistress » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:15 pm

I have a multitude of piercings, and was wondering if there are any known problems with any particular types of jewelry? I usually wear surgical steel CBRs and curved barbells, but have been known to wear cheapy nose bones (not just in my nose) and Bioplast. I've considered getting organic jewelry too (more likely horn or bone than bamboo). I'm not worried about taking care of new piercings while I'm out there...I shouldn't have any unhealed ones.
~Cetryn
whitemistress

Postby Sham » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:00 am

I am not sure if anyone on this forum is qualified to give any type of medical advice to you on your question about piercings.

Your best bet is to ask the person working the kiosk at the Piercing Pagoda making $7.25 per hour. They must have some sort of training and I personally would feel comfortable placing my life and health in the hands of this person--more so than asking on ePlaya.
Sham

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 am

This may not actually be the worst place to ask, but you may do better at www.bmezine.com

That being said, I'm a bit obsessive about all of my hobbies, so here it goes...

I wore a set of stainless pincers for the week this year, didn't have any issue, and kept using water/vinegar followed by lotion on the piercings.

I don't really like nose bones in general, but if I wore them I would leae them in, keep the stress to the piercing at a minimum.

I've never owned any horn or bone jewellery so can't help you there. I would stick with non-fragile stuff but I don't think it would be a real issue (although I bet the organic wouldn't look the same afterwards)

Honestly though, if your piercings are well healed, you don't fuck with them, and you keep them clean I don't think you'll have any issues.

It wouldn't surprise me if the people at BME knew what BM was and could give you better advice though.
Bluemandrew

Postby whitemistress » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Shambala wrote:I am not sure if anyone on this forum is qualified to give any type of medical advice to you on your question about piercings.

Your best bet is to ask the person working the kiosk at the Piercing Pagoda making $7.25 per hour. They must have some sort of training and I personally would feel comfortable placing my life and health in the hands of this person--more so than asking on ePlaya.

Actually, I'm more curious about other peoples experiences with various jewelry at burning man...like whether metal gets too hot or if Bioplast gets ruined. Sorry I forgot to specify that I was asking about what jewelry works best out there. I have plenty of experience with piercing care, so I'm not too worried about how my piercings themselves will fare, just what sorts of jewelry remain comfortable to wear through the burn.[/i]
~Cetryn
whitemistress

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Shambala wrote:Your best bet is to ask the person working the kiosk at the Piercing Pagoda making $7.25 per hour...

:twisted: >>snicker<< RUN RUN AWAY FROM PIERCING KIOSKS!!

anyways back OT for whitemistress I had 14gauge titanium anodized stainless captive ball rings (CBR's) in for the first time this burn and they did fine with a daily clean and occasional salt-spray misting. I too was worried how they'd fair but no fading/degrading of the metal and the ears were fine.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Token » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 pm

I personally won't wear anything but ASTM implant certified steel. Not just surgical steel used for scalpels and hemostats but implant certified.

AFAIK, teflon, tygon and titanium are also available with ASTM implant specs.

Bioplast is certified for surgical trays and whatnot because it is a plastic that survives the autoclave. Not an implant material. It degrades over time into the skin. Some people react to it, some don't. But it is really cheap so it is all the rage. Piercing is about making a buck.

As for any porous material like wood or bone, I would not use it on playa. Too dry.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

I have worn.

Postby trevkong » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I have worn everything from steel to redwood to bone out there and never had any issues in 3 years. The problems people have out on the playa are usually more related to their hydration level, and their *juicey* factor.

I get away with running around barefoot or in flip flops for a week with no problems, but some friends with dryish skin have to clean and lotion themselves silly and still are crunchy when we get back. Just drink a crapload of water and dont wear anything you cant afford to lose, you would not believe the weird circumstances that may lead you to lose anything on or in your body :)
trevkong

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:24 pm

I know a guy who had his nipple rind bitten off by a frisky lass... a random stranger ... while dancing. Yikes.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby justfred » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:48 pm

There's a well-traffic'd story - playa legend, or true, I'm not totally sure. But the story went that a guy with a large gauge PA was pounding rebar, and somehow stood up and ripped it out, had to be airlifted to Reno.

Jewelery doesn't get any hotter than your body. Biggest problem I've found is skin getting dry, and not getting washed as often as usual. Don't know about bioplast.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby JGibson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:12 am

AntiM wrote:I know a guy who had his nipple rind bitten off by a frisky lass... a random stranger ... while dancing. Yikes.

Ooops ... pretty bad ahh.. that's why people says if you have enemy or if you drink much don't ware piercings. I don't like doing that to my self (hurting my self for a bit of fashion),I use simple fasionable wearings like rings, knuckles necklace and non-piercing things. but it is better to go for a real doctor or saloon, other than trying to get help online.
JGibson

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 am

id reccomend simply finding some simple CBRs or labrets that you are comfortable leaving in place andnot fiddling with for an entire week.

the dust SHOULDNT cause issues, but that hasnt stopped people getting infections and injuries before.
klondike_bar

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 am

My Peircings last year:
Tounge
Industrial
Ears
Navel
Nose

There is definitley some gunk in them, but no irritation. I grabs some of the anticeptic wipes from a first aid kit and cleaned off my nose and industrial a few times. But the playa dust didnt bother me. I am not hyper-sensitive. If you have high sensitivity I reccommend washing it more often. GOOD LUCK =)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby trystanthegypsy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Ok I'm probably one of the better people to ask about this... I'm not a piercer but I've read a great deal of bmezine and been festival-ing for 6 years with various piercings.

Worst horror story: Roadtrip 2004- campground showers, sand-surfing in oregon, surfing wetsuit, poor diet, lots of dehydration... pretty similar to the burn. I was sick. My nipple piercings basically exploded in a tragic swollen breakdown. Why? because I was wearing perfectly-fitted barbells, with no room to swell or clean inside the piercing. I had to take one out and let it heal for like six months before i could re-pierce. The other one took at least a month to settle down. Rings are a much better choice.

Last year (my first burn): I lost like 3 earrings because I was always hooping and they would fall out. But my silicon Kaos plugs were perfect- actually they have always performed very well for me. I haven't worn acrylic or any plastics in years because they get too "funky". Even the kaos ones had to be pulled out and wiped off.

I have a microdermal anchor in my forehead ("bindi" piercing) and it was sort of problematic- I used a tissue stretched taut to slide around under the jewel and clean the dust and crusties out. Definitely had some irritation from dry skin, sunscreen, sweat, and dust. So:

Definitely bring some saline solution and little cups to soak the dust out of your piercings. I know its against most usual advice, but it's also worth it to bring some Lubriderm or other scent-free moisturizer to put AROUND your piercings- dry, flaky skin can be very irritating.

Try to leave spikes, danglys, etc. at home, because they will invariable get caught on your tutu/someones dreadlocks/your really cool fun fur outfit and get lost or irritated.

I didn't have any problems with my horn earrings other than I lost one :( so don't bring anything you are terribly attached to!

I think thats it. sorry i'm a rambler.
trystanthegypsy

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Don't let YOUR jewelery become moop, wear a hoop!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ragabashpup » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 pm

justfred wrote:There's a well-traffic'd story - playa legend, or true, I'm not totally sure. But the story went that a guy with a large gauge PA was pounding rebar, and somehow stood up and ripped it out, had to be airlifted to Reno.

Jewelery doesn't get any hotter than your body. Biggest problem I've found is skin getting dry, and not getting washed as often as usual. Don't know about bioplast.

The story that you speak of the possible playa legend is true. He is a friend of mine and I camped with him my virigin year. Really did get his nipple all sorts of gnawed up. Someone made him some really nice pasties and gave them to him in 06.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Return to Clothing & Playawear