Showering nude?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Showering nude?

Postby Totoro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 am

I've seen a lot of posts about showers with enclosures. I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I plan to bring a very simple shower that I can hang on my roof rack. (Still working on some sort of water catching/evaporating deal.) I thought I would just shower nude -- I don't have a great body but I don't care if people see me.

No one else cares at burning man, right? People just shower naked, and in fact walk around naked, all the time?

Thanks everyone!
Totoro

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:55 am

Yup.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby oleg8888 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Or, how they say in Cancun "Nobody knows you, nobody gives a f***k"
:twisted:
oleg8888

Re: Showering nude?

Postby LostinReno » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Totoro wrote:I've seen a lot of posts about showers with enclosures. I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I plan to bring a very simple shower that I can hang on my roof rack. (Still working on some sort of water catching/evaporating deal.) I thought I would just shower nude -- I don't have a great body but I don't care if people see me.

No one else cares at burning man, right? People just shower naked, and in fact walk around naked, all the time?

Thanks everyone!

Wait until you see people chasing water trucks! :lol:
I'd say your all good!
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Slutsy_Goat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Our camp has specifically prohibited any shower curtains or visual barriers on our shower.
Slutsy_Goat

Postby Ginger » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Do you normally shower fully clothed?
Ginger

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Ginger wrote:Do you normally shower fully clothed?

Do you normally strip in public?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Is there going to be a carcass wash this year? for me, sponge baths were only good for a few days until I was REALLY wanting a shower. I also have a solar shower but a little uneasy about showering out in the open. somehow the carcass wash seems different. Kind of like dancing with no partner.. you can just bury yourself in the middle of the dance floor and be ok. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Please use a shower curtain if you are really ugly and do things in the shower we don't want to see.
Marscrumbs

Postby justfred » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 pm

"I don't have a great body..."

The shower isn't about how you look, it's about how you smell. Showering should not be a spectator sport (unless it's designed to be so, or if it's a public boundary lesson, like Human Carcass Wash).

I like to set up my open-air shower somewhere around the back of my camp, where I'm not out in the open, but it's nice to be able to air-dry. You've got to be able to sponge off the stinky bits without being too self-conscious.

Oh, and please don't pee in the shower, it makes the evap stink, worse yet if someone has to deal with the grey water.

"Please use a shower curtain if you are really ugly and do things in the shower we don't want to see."

Please don't watch people showering if 1) they haven't invited you to watch, and 2) you have an attitude like this.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Thanks everyone!

Postby Totoro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey Slutsy Goat -- can't wait to check out Club Horny. ("Hor-nay")

I think I'll be OK with some sponge baths, the occasional minimal shower on a large tarp.

Maybe I'll chase the truck once or so.

The carcass wash sounds great and convenient. But I if I understand it correctly -- there's lots of water and people wash you -- then I'd be mortified of getting -- how shall I put it delicately -- a raging boner.

Isn't that a possibility? Ever happen to anyone?

Thanks everyone so much for all the advice!
Totoro

Re: Thanks everyone!

Postby BrotherDan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Totoro wrote:Hey Slutsy Goat -- can't wait to check out Club Horny. ("Hor-nay")

I think I'll be OK with some sponge baths, the occasional minimal shower on a large tarp.

Maybe I'll chase the truck once or so.

The carcass wash sounds great and convenient. But I if I understand it correctly -- there's lots of water and people wash you -- then I'd be mortified of getting -- how shall I put it delicately -- a raging boner.

Isn't that a possibility? Ever happen to anyone?

Thanks everyone so much for all the advice!

I don't think it's an issue. Once the intimacy has been taken out of the situation (i.e. in a big group getting scrubbed) it tends to kill my erection urge. Plus performance anxiety over the fact that you DON'T want to get an erection will probably stop it anyway :D
BrotherDan

Re: Thanks everyone!

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Totoro wrote:-- there's lots of water and people wash you --

there is not lots of water...hand held bottle sprayers are used...you're washed using less than a cup of water...but the diluted Dr Bronners feels great!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Oldguy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Aren't you expected to bring water, and help wash and dry a few folks after you get in the wash line?
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am

LostinReno wrote:
Totoro wrote:I've seen a lot of posts about showers with enclosures. I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Wait until you see people chasing water trucks! :lol:
I'd say your all good!

Don't chase the water trucks! If you only knew what we do to that water in the off season...
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Hoolie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 am

The walls of my shower are cotton sheets, with the idea that they'd catch some of the water, which will subsequently evaporate off them, making a bit less water in the evap pond. However, some users appreciate the privacy they afford. Even if they're comfortable with nudity, they might prefer to keep their crotch washing from public view.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby justfred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

Oldguy wrote:Aren't you expected to bring water, and help wash and dry a few folks after you get in the wash line?

Yes.

Bringing water is a great idea.

You actually wash, rinse, dry others before being washed yourself (unless you're first in line!). It's an assembly line, like a car wash, with stations for each function. Yes, you have to touch and be touched by people of your same gender/orientation/that you aren't attracted to/that you aren't attractive to, deal with it or don't participate (that is, if this breaks your boundaries this exercise isn't for you).

The point of the wash, as the organizer will tell you, is to practice defining your boundaries. You have to communicate with others about what they can and can't do to you; they communicate about what they will and won't do.

Favorite things I've heard there:
"Don't touch my cooter."
"I don't want to get my feet wet."
"Don't go farther than the first knuckle."
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 am

Beware the video cameras. Every year, Youtube has hundreds of videos of people taking showers in public at Burningman.

If you must shower, wear a mask to avoid embarrassment.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Beware the video cameras. Every year, Youtube has hundreds of videos of people taking showers in public at Burningman.

If you must shower, wear a mask to avoid embarrassment.

or, for some, a thimble.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 am

That water was cold, what can I say?
Ugly Dougly

Why shower with your clothes on?

Postby ricoinsfbay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Naked showering is the accepted method at Burningman. No one cares if you are naked but they might care if you smell so... a clean naked body is a beautiful naked body. :) ENJOY yourself, be yourself, be clean. But most of all...Have Fun!
ricoinsfbay

Postby phil » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:27 pm

LostinReno wrote:Wait until you see people chasing water trucks! :lol:
I'd say your all good!

From "UN Declares “Burning Manâ€
phil

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm

What, and expose your shortcomings?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:What, and expose your shortcomings?

I thought short-comings only happened to teenaged boys, before they mature.
Artemis

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks