Attention all camp seekers: How 'Bout Last Minute Camp!

Attention all camp seekers: How 'Bout Last Minute Camp!

Postby donnydip » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:36 pm

So its less than three weeks and I am on line looking for a camp for me and my friends to join, last minute, as always. All interesting, low population, low key camps are closed. Then a thought hit me as I read all these posts of people looking for a camp.... how about we all get together, pool our resources and form a Last Minute Camp! We all grab a spot either the 4th or 5th street out from the Esplenade, and meld our little groups together into a sponatneous, original camp. No camp fees, no obligations other than the general adherance BM etiquette, like MOOP. We can all take turns sharing a meal or two, and between all of us we might be able to create a shade structure, etc. Anyway, its an idea! There's five of us (two virgins, three 2 and 6 year burners) and we wanna know if anybody's game. Holla!

Donn aka le Freak
818-915-9944 or donnswaby@sbcglobal.net
donnydip

And with that cheeseburger you get ...

Postby donnydip » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 pm

We can contribute music, as we are all musicians (guitar, bass, tamborine, cooking pot and spoon, clapping hands). We are awesome chefs as well and plan to whip up some spontaneous concoctions on the playa for your taste buds' pleasure.
donnydip

Postby Tiffanie5366 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:04 am

This sounds like something I might be interested in. I am a first time burner coming from West County....Sonoma County and am going up just me and boy. If I wasn't part of a camp what would my process of pitching a tent look like?
"Peace & Prosperity to you, your families,
and everything you own."
Tiffanie5366

Postby sktELEMENT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Hey whats the guy to girl ratio? And Age? This sounds fun.
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:13 pm

I have a group of four two guys two girls we are interested...
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:13 pm

I have a group of four two guys two girls we are interested...
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:16 pm

I have a group of four two guys two girls we are interested...[b][/b]
sktELEMENT

Postby zabsinth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 pm

I have a group of four three girl guys two we are interested [u][/b]
zabsinth

Postby lokione » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:49 am

So is the camp going to happen?
lokione

interested as well!

Postby peacenrock » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:05 am

My husband and I are BM virgins also looking for a last minute camp to join, this could be it! How do we make this happen?
Nikki
peacenrock

two girls one dude

Postby sunnysideup » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:59 pm

hey there a group of two ladies and one guy were planning to camp on our own but as burning man approaches i think it would be fun to be part of a larger group, so i'd be down to meet up with some others last minute for a casual kind of camp. let's make it happen!
sunnysideup

Postby VALION » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 am

I was wondering if this camp is going to happen. If so I'd love to get in on this.

THanks!
VALION

Postby ant80 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 am

I am one guy coming in from Missouri. Unfortunately all my friends chickened out on me. I'd love to get in on this.
The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
ant80

Postby sunnysideup » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:30 pm

well i can assure you that we are definitely going to be there - the three of us, jennifer, marcy, and andy! we are looking out for sign "Last Minute Camp" around the 4th or 5th street in between 3:00 and 3:30. we plan to roll in Wed night. i'm a little worried about the dark - so who ever makes the sign, can you please put some flashlights near it so that we can find you? :) i can't wait to go the Playa!
sunnysideup

Postby funkymonkey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 pm

I'm game. Single female. Anyone arriving Monday?
funkymonkey

last minute

Postby well » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:29 pm

ya looks like i might need a last minute camp too. first burn. ill be arriving monday in one of the veggie bus shuttles from reno. i think everyone should make a last minute camp sign so we can spot eachother.
well

Postby Ratcatcher » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 am

Is this a different camp then the refugee camp from the other thread? Perhaps we should merge?

Anyway, I'm campless and looking for a good home. One guy, leaving from SF area and planning to arrive on Wed :-) My second burn.
Ratcatcher

Postby funkymonkey » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 am

I was looking to camp around 4:00. Looks like there should be some open space on Corvair between 4:00-3:00. [url]http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.78119&lon=-119.2147&zoom=16&layers=B00FTF[/url]

Since this is my first time, I'm not sure how the whole start-a-camp-thing works. Do I just pull up, hang a sign and hope there's enough room left for everyone?

I'm leaving LA Sunday night and should be there sometime on Monday. I'll scout the area first. If I don't see any Last Minute Camp signs, then I’ll park. I'll register on the camp computers listing Last Minute Camp, FunkyMonkey and Charlie (my RW name). I'll try to throw together a quick LMC sign tonight, but there will also be a street bike silhouette (black on white poster board) sign in the front window of my rv.

If anyone has any suggestions or a different plan, I’m all for it. Please just let me know. (I’m just makin’ this up as I go).
funkymonkey

Last Minute Camp it is!

Postby wayneal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:00 pm

So it's on people, let's combine our resources! I have lots of instruments (drums bass, guitars, circuits bent noises and PA system), a Huge Ass Tent, giveydo's and more...

What are the time/space coordinates of location?
=Corvair between 4:00-3:00?

My bro and I are coming in Tuesday from LA and will be down for setting up a stage, a kitchen and the American Dream.

Let's Do it! How many folks are in on it? Stand up and be counted!
Sound...Light...Contact
wayneal

Postby Ratcatcher » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:53 pm

I vote for somewhere in the vicinity of 9 o'clock, but I think whoever comes there first will be better equipped to make a judgement.
Ratcatcher

Postby Ratcatcher » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:07 pm

[quote="funkymonkey"]
Since this is my first time, I'm not sure how the whole start-a-camp-thing works. Do I just pull up, hang a sign and hope there's enough room left for everyone?[/quote]

given the last minute nature of the camp - yep, I think this is how it is going to work. We'll need some honking big sign so that others can find a camp, and whoever pins the location should register it in the central camp. Last year the computers there were down way too often, so I suggest that you register it in the computer AND hang a note on the message board.

BTW, is there a good place to park a car near the center camp while I go check messages/computer?
Ratcatcher

Postby Ratcatcher » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Oh, btw - I think there might be computers with inet access or wifi at the central camp. So, if possible - it would also be nice to update this thread with the playa address of the camp.
Ratcatcher

Postby AdamM83085 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Total new guy here; I am trying to pull this off in the last minute so I can spend my birthday on the playa; I don't have a tent, but if somebody has some spare room in their tent, I'll gladly cook a few meals and help with whatever you need to get done. I'll contribute cash if it's needed, and bring food and water (of course!)

My cell is 603-477-2749, name is Adam.
AdamM83085

Postby chris9602 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:35 pm

I've never been to burning man and I just received a ticket from my friend this morning... Sooo looks like no one I know is going so I have no idea how this whole theme camp works. Is there still room in this camp? I can provide my own shelter and food but would need to share a fire or something. When campin at burning man are there any fees I need to pay for?
chris9602

Postby sunnysideup » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 am

i'm glad this camp is growing! i've already posted that three of us are for sure coming, so you can count us in. can we just make sure that we decide on a definite location? it seems like a few people are suggesting good places to camp, i just want to makes sure that we've all decided on one area. as of now, i'm assuming that we setting up camp between 3:00 and 3:30 the fourth for fifth street in. also, just remind everyone we are not going to get there until late wed night, so please if you can make sure the signs are lit up so we know who are you! i look forward to meeting everyone at the playa.
sunnysideup

Monday arrival

Postby VALION » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Hey,
I'm getting there monday (late afternoon). I'm shooting at 3:00 and 3:30 the fourth for fifth street in (Corvair or Dart). I'll look for a sign but if I don't see one, I'll head for some open space. If you plan on getting there earlier have a sign "LMC" something w/e. If you come later, come find us. After I've set up shop I'll head straight to Center Camp and register or w/e. See you out there! This will be awesome!
VALION

LMC 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby ESCAPE_REALITY » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey All,
Just wanted to say hello. I was in communication with the original proposer of LMC, but not the whole group, and so just wanted to shout out a warm 'hello' to all my soon to be camp-mates. My boyfriend and I will be arriving early evening Weds. Hopefully we'll find ya. Worst case, we meet a slew of other new friends while asking around for LCM's location.

Anne (and Curtis)

Ps. I do like the idea of posting the location on ePlaya once it has been formed, should that be possible. There seems to be enough later in the week arrivals in this string for it to be very helpful.
ESCAPE_REALITY

Postby funkymonkey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm heading out now, 9:30p. Traveling from LA. I look forward to meeting all of you. Valion ... I'll look for you first before setting up camp. I have a sign "Last Minute Camp" .. it's not huge, but hopefully you'll know you've made it to the right place when you arrive.
funkymonkey

Postby Ratcatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:24 am

funkymonkey - have a safe drive and see you on the playa! :-)
Ratcatcher

Return to 2008 Theme Camps