SF - car rental suggestions

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

question about Enterprise

Postby lizg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Hey all,

I just called Enterprise to book a reservation and they said they are going to charge everyone playa-bound a $1000 detailing deposit, which they said you may or may not get back. Wtf?? I have rented from them twice for BM with no problems, I pressure washed the crap out of it before i returned it both times. I would have lied when he asked me if I am going to BM except they use GPS to track rental cars nowadays and it does no good to lie. Are yall just going to pay the deposit, I am kind of at a loss for what to do now.

gracias!
lizg

Postby mmmagenta » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:33 am

lizg- that really sucks. I've got my rental for 3 weeks, one before and one after the event. I don't think they realize where I'm going. I have heard of cancellations on people, so this may be their way of avoiding that. If you reserve without them knowing and get the damage waiver, it shouldn't be a problem unless it's truly thrashed.

I'm forgoing the insurance and using the coverage provided by discover card. I'm also being super cautious by covering everything with sheets, closing the vents once i get to empire, and leaving the car sitting for the two weeks i'm on the playa.

You might want to reserve without mentioning it. Say you're going to the Tahoe area. That's a somewhat truth!

Best of luck!
mmmagenta

Postby bodieman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:16 am

Hi, I am coming down from the great white north. Mind you hasn't been white in years except for amybe a two hour snowstorm once or twice a winter with this global warming. Anyway. I internet reserved a compact from Budget for a stay in 'Frisco before going out with someone else auto to Burning man. If anyone needs a rider from the bay area but not back it's me.
anyway any one know of a discount code for a budget rent a car rental.?
thanks
Bodie
Vancouver BC
bodieman

Postby lizg » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks mmmagenta, we decided to just go with Thrifty instead. I just hope they have notified other Burners and people don't get a surprise day of. The whole thing sounded fishy to me though, it costs more like 200 to detail a truck so why they would be charging people 1000 on their credit card on top of the rental cost I don't understand. BTW there are usually 2 different kinds of insurance you need on the rental - supplemental liability and collision damage waiver. Credit cards usually only cover one, I hope your Discover covers both.

I actually took the time to look it up and California forbids rental car companies from using GPS to track cars after a 2005 ruling so if the rental company ask you if you are going to BM answer "no" and learn from my mistake.

See you on the playa players!
lizg

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:14 pm

I suggest you complain to the national office and point out your past record of car care.
Mention you have posted on the web of this behavior.
They always love that.
gyre

Postby skygod » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Snapovski wrote:This must be the most helpful forum I've ever been on. It's also the first.

You never forget your first forum.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks