CHECKPOINT DREAMYOURTOPIA

Postby dadara » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Okay, so I guess this post is the official coming out of my project:

-a border control checkpoint to enter your own dreams-

Below you'll find the description, ideas and philosophy behind it all and some pictures.
I will use this thread to post any new developments that will occur and hope to get some feedback, inspiration, advice, assistance, etc.
Coming from the Netherlands will add an extra challenge, since all the infrastructure we have at home won't be readily available at our second home away from home :?

Being abroad basically means we won't have all our tools, we will need to rent a truck, RV's, cars, generator, sleep in motels etc.
At the same time there's all the stuff apart from building on site that we'll need to do to make this project as perfect as possible. Print stuff, make T-shirts, design a website, print more stuff, etc. Any hints/tips/advice/help on these topics appreciated as well. And probably there's zillions of things I haven't thought about yet.

Well, this is about it. Check the project here below. You'll keep hearing from me ........

THE AMERICAN DREAM FROM A FOREIGNERS VIEW

Looking at the American Dream theme as the foreigner that I am, my starting point was the fact that for millions of people around the world the American Dream still exists, but it is becoming more and more impossible to achieve because of increasingly fierce border controls, visa regulations, etc. All of them are trying to cross the border in order to chase the rainbow in search of the eternal pot of gold. (Of course this is becoming a universal phenomenon in our global age, as more and more people around the world are trying to enter their promised land , trying to outclever the border patrols at the Mexican border, or embarking with way too many people on an uncertain dangerous journey in small boats trying to reach the European shores from Africa.)
For some, it is an opportunity to achieve more prosperity than they could in their countries of origin; for others, it is an opportunity for their children to grow up with an education and career opportunities; for still others, it is an opportunity to be an individual without the constraints imposed by class, caste, race, gender or ethnicity. People might work harder and longer hours to get bigger cars, fancier homes and other fruits of prosperity for their families, leaving them with less time to enjoy their prosperity. Others may look toward a new American Dream with less focus on financial gain and more emphasis on living a fulfilling and fun life.

This emphasis on the individuals dream became my focus in this new project:

BORDER CROSSING TO YOUR DREAMS

A border control checkpoint, where you leave the American Dream to enter the world of your own dreams…………

Thus it might make you realize that not only crossing the real borders between countries to enrich your life in whatever sense can be a difficult task. Also crossing the boundaries inside the system of your own heart and life might mean a big leap into the unknown, full of dangers as well as pleasures.

Though it will be a symbolic border crossing, the look and feel of it will in many ways be very real. Once you pass the guard, you’ll enter a small interrogation house where the customs officer will await you in an archetypical grey environment. Once you have completed all formal procedures, the boom barrier will open and you may cross the
borderline into the surreal and colorful other half of the house.

The walls of the compound will act as a blank canvas for Burners to express themselves. Similar to the aesthetics the Berlin Wall in the past and the Palestinian Wall nowadays, these expressions might vary from urban graffiti/street art to idealistic thoughts and slogans.

I would like to combine the above concept with another idea of mine. Last summer I toured several festivals in Holland with "my bar is your bar", a small (1,2 x 1,6 metres) red-brick house, which is a café, creating a very intimate atmosphere for one-on-one interaction (though on occasion 14 people would party inside……).
Depending on which door you enter, you're either a bartender or the local drunk.
So after completing custom procedures you could continue your way to the local dive in the wild border town. Like Tijuana next to the Mexican border.

PASSPORT TO THE LAND OF DREAMS

I’m also designing a special passport for this Land of Dreams, you are about to enter.
This passport will have a hardcover and 20 pages inside.
Apart from featuring thoughts and art about having dreams and a designated area for your entrance visa, it will also have several blank pages that can be used to collect stamps, stickers, etc. from other theme camps, installations and participants. An interactive companion accompanying you on your adventures in the desert.

It can be used by the immigration officer on duty. But also a border patrol officer wandering across the Playa might hand it over to you and summon you to get it stamped.

Examples of possible texts inside:

*The bearer of this document is entitled to enter and live his own dream as he/she pleases until further notice. For re-entry into living your life as you’re told to, please obtain form 56217.43A from your immigration officer .

*You have entered your Dreamworld, which is unique and entirely yours.
It can contain one big dream or several smaller ones, it might be extremely expensive or dirt cheap to follow these dreams, but for sure it’ll require you to be persistent. It might be hard emotional or physical work and you’ll have to keep the faith.

*And though your Dreamworld does not necessarily have to have any connection with the real world as we know it and with the systems imposed upon us, (un)fortunately you’ll have to live it inside that same real world.

*This dream of yours has not been franchised to you by a big company, nor has it been imposed upon you by your country, your president, your religion, your teachers or your parents, but might have been inspired by all of them (or by your rebellion against them).

*The stamp in this passport is only a symbolic permission to enter and live your dream.

*Warning: you might have already entered your Dreamworld long time ago!

Once you’ve finished procedures and leave the compound into your Dream. I wanto to give the feeling as if it all never happened. You’ll turn around and where you left, you won’t see a door, but a clothing cabinet...............

WOW! I'm impressed: you made it to the bottom of my post and read it all :D
dadara

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:39 pm

My god that is excellent. I don't feel snarky anymore. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BitterDan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm

I don't feel snarky anymore.

I do. To quote oneeyeddick:
That will never work. Nope. Nope, never.

Just playing. That's a great idea!
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby jc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 pm

love it.
do it.
jc

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Very Excellent and Ambitious project!! The Dreamland must be secured at all costs.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby dadara » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:43 am

Yes, Dreamland Security is very important indeed: we don't want the wrong people entering their and our dreams.......

A recent exciting development : Central Track, the Artist Residency of the Dallas University in Texas invited me for an artist in residence stay. They liked this project and we were thinking it would be nice to bring it over to Texas. I’ll present the project at the opening exhibition of Central Track on the 17th of April. I am also in contact with the Texas Burner community on that part of the project.

I'm now thinking of taking it even one step further and trying to get the Checkpoint back to Europe as well. I think it would be really cool to have a border checkpoint travelling and crossing borders itself as well!
(Will it manage to obtain the necessary visa??)

Also looking with some people into the possibility of tracking my whole journey through gps, mobile and internet technology. Also keeping track of who entered their dreams and when they did it:http://bliin.com/share/10985

BIG DREAMER IS WATCHING YOU

Now I still have to find someone who is willing to build a cool website, so I can communicate it and maybe even have online forms you have to fill in to be able to obtain a visa for your dreams........

dadara

Rock On :)

Postby Fysche » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 am

We look Forward to
Falling Into
a Burning Ring of Fire
at DreamTopia
and Also
rockin' some of T's Designs for the Uniforms!

Love from the Sunshine in Winter.
"Lesson learned
Wish me Luck
Soothe The Burn
Wake me Up"
-Kurdt Donald Cobain
Fysche

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:26 pm

You're coming to Dallas?

Will you be needing volunteers?
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Careful, Smashy.... You could get seriously wrapped up into a totally fooking kewl project......... May DOOM be with you!!.......... 8)
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby pinemom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 pm

this is..................SO DAMNED COOL!
kuddo's
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby dadara » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:11 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Careful, Smashy.... You could get seriously wrapped up into a totally fooking kewl project......... May DOOM be with you!!.......... 8)

Yes, volunteering for Dreamland Security certainly has its risks.......

But any help offered specifically in the Dallas area is very much appreciated and might earn you a swift shortcut around Dreamyourtopia visa procedures into your dreams!
But be warned: you might have entered your Dreamworld long time ago!

I am also very happy with the support already offered to me because of this thread for designing the Dreamyourtopia website and printing the Passport to the land of your Dreams :D

I'm still looking for any advice/help on how to truck the whole project out to the desert and to Dallas and also want to find out more about the possibilities of internet connections from the Playa to support the technical Big Brother part of the project :
http://bliin.com/share/10985

I'm also in the process of designing the costumes for the guards and special Checkpoint shirts. I want to design special "brainpattern" textiles (like the skull structure) and have that printed and costumes made. My girlfriend will be going to Bali shortly to have those made.
I'm also looking for somebody who could silkscreen print textiles for all the graphics and shirts.

back to work now. Hopefully a dreamyourtopia site will be up in the not so distant future

dadara

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:16 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Careful, Smashy.... You could get seriously wrapped up into a totally fooking kewl project......... May DOOM be with you!!.......... 8)

SHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... don't give it away that I'm one of those crazy DOOM merchants.
CapSmashy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:49 am

See, imaginative people from overseas can work with the theme.
Ugly Dougly

Re: CHECKPOINT DREAMYOURTOPIA

Postby shibumi2 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:11 pm

Glad to see Dadara is back on the playa with a new, wildly subversive and delightful fantasy. Be part of his dream ... oh, you already are!
What makes you happy makes you wise.
shibumi2

Postby dadara » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:57 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:See, imaginative people from overseas can work with the theme.

I'm really happy I am collaborating with some imaginative Americans as well on this!
Initially the theme indeed didn't inspire me as a non-American.
Once though I started taking it not literally, but as a starting point of thought it did become inspiring and became the initial spark that ignited the Dreamyourtopia dream.
Now I actually really like the theme, especially the thought-provoking part of it!

In the Passport to the Land of Dreams I also want to incude famous and not so famous thoughts and quotes about Dreams.
possible ones I have been thinking about are:

Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.
Galileo Galilei

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
James Dean

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

We all know that art is not the truth, art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.
Pablo Picasso

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I am open to any suggestions for more thought provoking and inspiring quotes!
dadara

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:25 am

I have three that come to mind.

I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.
-Calvin and Hobbes

After my Burn last year, this quote took on new meaning for me since the people I met are physically so far away but always here in my dreams.

[i]“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.â€
CapSmashy

Postby pinemom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:24 am

fantastic!
pinemom

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 am

where does someone sign up to help?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby dadara » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:20 am

ygmir wrote:where does someone sign up to help?

Anybody wishing to sign up to help people entering their dreams, should send me a private message with their contact info and what they'd like to do or can offer for this project.

At the moment I'm putting a lot of energy into the preparatory stages.
I listed quite a few things in this thread which might help me a lot for now.
People wishing to volunteer during the festival can also pm me. I'll keep their contact info and then in a later stage we'll organize the running of the Checkpoint itself.

Thanking those burners who already have messaged me with some very kind offers! You're a great community, even off Playa.......
dadara

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:30 pm

With some of the feedback I have gotten from some of my non Burner friends, there will be an abundance of help once you get here. :)
CapSmashy

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:10 pm

dadara...

This is absolutley wonderful.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby DeepSpace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Beautiful
Just fucking beautiful!!
DeepSpace

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Sensational, Dadara! Can't wait to see it on the playa, and we'll all enjoy dreaming it with you 'till then.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby StevenGoodman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:39 pm

dadara wrote:In the Passport to the Land of Dreams I also want to incude famous and not so famous thoughts and quotes about Dreams.
possible ones I have been thinking about are:

"Just remember, where ever you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Which I guess is more about sideways reality?

"When I met you in the restaurant you could tell I was no debutante
You asked me what's my pleasure; "A movie or a measure"?
I'll have a cup of tea and tell you of my dreaming
Dreaming is free
I don't want to live on charity
Pleasure's real or is it fantasy?
Real to real is living rarity
People stop and stare at me we just walk on by
We just keep on dreaming
Feet, feet, walking a two mile
Meet meet, meet me at the turnstile
I never met him I'll never forget him
Dream, dream, even for a little while
Dream, dream, filling up an idle hour
Fade away radiate
I sit by and watch the river flow
I sit by and watch the traffic go
Imagine something of your very own; something you can have and hold
I'd build a road in gold just to have some dreaming
Dreaming is free"

Lyrics of the song Dreaming - Blondie

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby dadara » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 am

Okay All.

I wanted to let you know that after the " official " coming out of my project on this eplaya forum two weeks ago, Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia has now entered the "real" world as well!

The Checkpoint Dreamyourtopia site is up: http://www.dreamyourtopia.com

Special thanks to Scotto for making this part of the Dream come true :D
dadara

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:51 am

very nice start, Dadara.
I am hoping to volunteer for some duties......and will monitor this site for info.........

Thanks for doing this,
Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Rembrandt, Van Gogh...

Postby Fysche » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:21 am

...Dadara.
'Nuff Said ;)
"Lesson learned
Wish me Luck
Soothe The Burn
Wake me Up"
-Kurdt Donald Cobain
Fysche

Postby pinemom » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:55 am

CONGRATS on the art grant!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
pinemom

Postby lonestoner916 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:42 am

"I'm really happy I am collaborating with some imaginative Americans as well on this!
Initially the theme indeed didn't inspire me as a non-American.
Once though I started taking it not literally, but as a starting point of thought it did become inspiring and became the initial spark that ignited the Dreamyourtopia dream.
Now I actually really like the theme, especially the thought-provoking part of it!"

Your project is going to be great, I love it! You should definitely incorporate your "my bar is your bar" idea, that's genius all by itself, there should be one of those on every corner!

(If you guys build it, I promise to bring enough mini-bottles of assorted liquor to stock it up for a couple of nights! :twisted: )

“If the American dream is for Americans only, it will remain our dream and never be our destinyâ€
lonestoner916

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:54 am

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia")
Ugly Dougly

Next

Return to 2008 Art & Performance