Great Shade Structure Source!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Great Shade Structure Source!

Postby Sharky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:46 am

We decided to retire our dome after four years on the Playa and find a new shade structure that would be quick and easy for two people to set up and break down, pack, and is easy to transport........ oh yes, and the cost couldn't break the bank.
Well I think we found it! We bought a large shade structure with a footprint of 30' x 30' and a height of 12 1/2 feet. It has a single center pole and is configured like a "tipi". It arrived the other day and, let me tell you, this baby is HEAVY DUTY! It weighs in a 40 pounds total and comes in an expandable duffle bag. The center pole is extremely heavy with some of the heaviest spring latches I've ever seen....... no need to make a new pole for the Playa! The fabric is heavy duty and sewed with sail seams. And the best part is the price! $120.00 off Ebay or $184.00 off of the company website.
The company lists one tent on Ebay and when it sells, immediately lists another......... so take turns and don't start bidding against each other :)
I called the company a couple of weeks ago and they said that they had 50 in stock.
If you go the Ebay route, do a search in the tent section for North Pole Shade Event Tent
If you decide to check out the company web site (Just Camp, in Nebraska) go to : http://www.justcamp.com

I have a full description of the tent with pictures, some Playa musings and gear new aquisitions on my blog: Four Bees http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2008/02/burnin-hot-shade.html

Can't wait to set this thing up and give it a shakedown before the Playa!

[/img]
Last edited by Sharky on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To travel, to experience and learn - that is to live"
Sharky

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 am

That looks very promising.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 pm

The main advantage might be that you'd only need to pull down the single pole to furl the shade in the event of high winds. Good luck.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby sputnik » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm

The ePlaya bar had a similar shade structure in 06. It withstood the elements well. Mozy Bonz was the gent behind it. It was a commercial grade tension structure, so I really don't know how it would compare to this.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Mozy's shade would be a Rolls Royce being compared to a Pinto between these two.

I am not belittling this very affordable structure, but I helped set up Mozy's star last year and it is impressively stout and unphased by the elements.

With the right stakes, this one should have no problems since it shares the same kind of pass through and over design prevalent in tensile structures.
CapSmashy

Postby Sharky » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 am

We camped across from a large, commercial grade version of this last year, about half again as big, and it did fantastic. I know that it is a "lighter" version, but I have no problems placing my bets on this one. The center pole is twice as heavy as a "Costco Parking Tent" and about the same diameter. The fabric is not the average tent fabric, much heavier. We've been using a PVC, sched.40, parachute dome, (14' x14'), and having been on the Playa the last four years, have seen what the wind can do to structures. I think this shape lends itself to lower wind resistance and the open nature helps as well. I think with it well staked down with rebar, it'll come through in stellar fashion! Oh yes, and the price is right!
We'll see....................only time will tell!
Sharky

Postby MozyBonz » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:22 pm

* Portable and durable tension tents.
* Quick & Simple set-up with only 2 people.(I have put it up by my self)
* Unique and innovative patented design.
* Compacts for trouble-free storage.
* Free carry bags with all complete units.
* Highest quality products and materials in the industry.
* Eight fabric colors: red, blue, white, black, purple, green, yellow and cream.
* Tops are Water Resistant, Fire Retardant CPAI-84, and UV Protected.

thanks guys.
Its a great tent http://military.kdkanopy.com/tension-tents/tents.php

Cap I think you have a pic of it all by it self in full wind...looks like its a spider walking out on the playa.
MozyBonz

Postby wedeliver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:45 pm

This was posted somewhere last year... Looks like the same tent for $149.00.

http://www.nizamcanvas.com/tentmarket/buying_a_tent.htm

their site has a whole bunch of interesting things. They have something that looks like a cock warmer. I believe that if you warm that lower extemities you will feel warm all over.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 am

You are correct Moz:

:)
CapSmashy

Postby Sharky » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:05 am

Hey I recognize that shade structure! We camped across the street from MozyBonz, in Hushville last year. We had the army green parachute dome! We were totally sold on these structures after seeing yours in action on the Playa! We went for the budget model this year (couldn't pass up that price).
See ya' on the Playa!

Sharky

[img][img]http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/37706/2430979600051098713S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/img]
Sharky

Postby Sharky » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:58 am

After looking at the dimensional photo-diagram of MozyBonz's tent, and comparing it to the North Pole Shade Tent specs., they appear to be very similar in size and dimension.
The North Pole Tent is only 12.5 feet high as compared to 16.5 for the Star Tent. The North Pole Tent is 30 feet by 30 feet and the Star Tent is 21.5. They both are six sided with a center pole.............
Funny how hind-sight is, I thought MozyBonz's tent was much larger! Now I'm really anxious to set up this new tent to see how much real estate it actually covers, and how much standing head-room area it has. The lower height of the North Pole Tent might actually lend itself to a lower wind resistance................
Hmmmmmm.......... this is all very interesting :)
Sharky

Postby MozyBonz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 am

Sharky wrote:After looking at the dimensional photo-diagram of MozyBonz's tent, and comparing it to the North Pole Shade Tent specs., they appear to be very similar in size and dimension.
The North Pole Tent is only 12.5 feet high as compared to 16.5 for the Star Tent. The North Pole Tent is 30 feet by 30 feet and the Star Tent is 21.5. They both are six sided with a center pole.............
Funny how hind-sight is, I thought MozyBonz's tent was much larger! Now I'm really anxious to set up this new tent to see how much real estate it actually covers, and how much standing head-room area it has. The lower height of the North Pole Tent might actually lend itself to a lower wind resistance................
Hmmmmmm.......... this is all very interesting :)

Hey thats my tent! The star tent has a 43 foot diameter set-up the 21 foot is between the stakes.
I like your tent.
For the price I think you got a good deal also. I may need a couple for my self.
MozyBonz

Postby Sharky » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 am

Hey there neighbor!
Our campmates camped next to you last year..........little travel trailer and the mobile theater ....(we were right across the street). Sounds like we may run into you again next year! If you drop me an email off-thread, I'll email a couple of pics I have of "the old neighborhood" and your tent from last year's big dust storm.

Sharky
Sharky

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 am

I was around the corner, still in Hushville, across from the potty bank.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby MozyBonz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Sharky wrote:Hey there neighbor!
Our campmates camped next to you last year..........little travel trailer and the mobile theater ....(we were right across the street). Sounds like we may run into you again next year! If you drop me an email off-thread, I'll email a couple of pics I have of "the old neighborhood" and your tent from last year's big dust storm.

Sharky

Hey ya… sure I remember.

I think I have a green man from them.

And AntiM gave the greatest alpha white-out hugs...not just art at that location.
MozyBonz

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Man!!! Neighbors everywhere in this thread!!

Sharky…

Your campmates made our side of the street really fun. We laid on the futon and watched movies several evenings and the last night… Um, Sunday night it was… things were starting to clear out a bit and just laying there watching the movie was a terrific time that made a terrific memory for me. Wonderful gift... Will you please tell them I said “Thanks“? And I have one of their Green Man necklaces on the truck’s rearview mirror.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby makoona » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey! That's us. Your friendly, thirsty neighbors! (technically we were squatters, thanks again for your generosity).

That mozy shade was amazing, and so sweet to look at. I'll never forget showing up one afternoon and seeing that beautiful white sculpture had sprouted up. Mozy, you thinking of bringing that back to camp Contraption/Junto this year? :-) If we happen to be anywhere nearby, it would be fun to project on that thing!

Nice to know there are some greenmen still lurking about. I tried to make those trinkets just nice enough so they wouldn't turn into moop.
makoona

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Squatters!!!

I'd forgotten about that...

Not sure where we'll have the dome this year, but it'll be there somewhere. Karine and I talked about if you all weren't close by in 08, we'd have to load up The Contraption and drive it over for a movie night. It's getting a steam engine upgrade this year!! (If you want, you may keep up with the upgrade progress in this thread here... look for an update soon).

And if Mozy makes it to the playa this year, he'd better know that he's very very much more than welcome to pitch the StarTent right beside that dome yet again. Better yet... he's invited (an maybe will be even coerced if necessary).

On a side note, Karine scored some white camo netting today... looks like about 25' x 25', but we'll measure it gets here.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby magicmarty » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi All,

I too was in Hushville and saw the projection site and the tent. Very impressive. AntiM was my neighbor but I am not sure that we met. I plan to be in Hushville again in 2008 and hope we all get to say hi!

I'm shooting to get some old climbing ropes to use for tiedowns with three quarter inch rebar. The Costco structure that has zippered sides sounds as though it can provide both sun shade and some protection from the wind and dust. That is appealing, but so far I haven't yet seen such an animal. All this structure info is soooo helpful. Thanks!

magicmarty
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby MozyBonz » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Never can tell where mozy might pop up.

That's what makes him mysterious.

Mwah ha ha ha!!

it would be fun to project on that thing!

I think that would look brilliant!!
MozyBonz

Postby robotland » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:23 am

Jeez...all I wanted to do was camp with Mr. Jellyfish on the Esplanade, and I missed all these good neighbors! (I was a four-year Hushville vet up to last year.)
At least I'll be within two miles of you THIS time.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

can the Starshade or NorthPole be erected by one person?

Postby rbasso » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi:

I was wondering if someone can post a set instructions for the above mentioned structures? I will be attending myself so want to make sure this might be something a first timer can accomplish.

BTW, I am only 5' 1" and female - hopefully my height will not prevent me from being able to set it up.

Any other advice for shade solution that can [b]easily be set up by one person[/b] is appreciated.
As always, thanks in advance for your help.
~Robyn
rbasso

Re: can the Starshade or NorthPole be erected by one person?

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 pm

rbasso wrote:Hi:

I was wondering if someone can post a set instructions for the above mentioned structures? I will be attending myself so want to make sure this might be something a first timer can accomplish.

BTW, I am only 5' 1" and female - hopefully my height will not prevent me from being able to set it up.

Any other advice for shade solution that can easily be set up by one person is appreciated.

Ummm which tent?
MozyBonz

Postby phil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Robyn, there are lots of shade structures that can be set up by one person. Here's Louise's and my Moss Parawing:

It has four lines you stake out, then put the two poles into place and raise each one - the tension keeps the thing upright, like those huge shades Sharky and Mozy Bones use. As you can see, though, the parawing is considerably smaller.

Pick a size that fits your needs, then practice with it till you can do it by yourself. OR - count on your neighbors to pitch in and help. It's Burning Man.
phil

Re: can the Starshade or NorthPole be erected by one person?

Postby rbasso » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:55 pm

[quote="MozyBonz"][quote="rbasso"]Hi:

Any other advice for shade solution that can [b]easily be set up by one person[/b] is appreciated.[/quote]

Ummm which tent?[/quote]

Either the North Pole per Sharky or the Star Shade per Mozy.
As always, thanks in advance for your help.
~Robyn
rbasso

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Well I have to tell you that the star shade is a $3500 commercial shade.

As far as the one that Sharky has it is most likely similar in set up.
You have a center point. With a string or cable you layout the stake placement from that center point. Then you hook the legs to the stakes. Then you stick the pole inside and stand it up. With the star shade the center pole has a crank on it to tension the tent.

I have to 2nd what Phil said thou.
MozyBonz

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Some manufacturers post instructions online, or used to. The US Army did, but apparently putting up a fucking army tent is all classified now.

Try REI, they might let you peak at the instructions for the Kelty or MSR type shade thingies. Try a scouting or sailing manual. In general you'd likely want to amend the usual instructions by using heavier stakes, possibly extra stakes & cord, and figure out how to pin the base of the poles so they don't wander or jump around. Try setting up at the beach or an open field on a windy day to test it out. Your height shouldn't be much of an issue, because you can set up the poles from underneath. Maybe bring a sturdy bucket you can stand on to reach corner poles. The DPW gal who sets up the med tent at the event isn't much taller than you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby phil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Bob wrote:>SNIP<
by using heavier stakes, possibly extra stakes & cord,
>SNIP<
Maybe bring a sturdy bucket you can stand on to reach corner poles.

Both quoted comments are excellent advice. The stakes for the parawing were just wire about six or eight inches long - I used rebar instead. I don't think any tent pegs that come with any tent or shade are worth using in general, and they definitely won't hold at Burning Man.

After people telling me for years to bring a little plastic stool I finally did last year. I sit on it to pull rebar (I'm 60, so I need to sit while I pull rebar), and the stools are also excellent for standing on to reach stuff that's just out of reach. A plastic five-gallon bucket is higher, but I'm heavier than some 5' 1" women, so I prefer the stool. :-> A bucket or stool is excellent advice I should have taken years ago.

Remember - everyone tells you what works for them, and they assume it'll work for you, too.
phil

Postby wedeliver » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:23 pm

phil wrote:[....After people telling me for years to bring a little plastic stool I finally did last year. I sit on it to pull rebar (I'm 60, so I need to sit while I pull rebar), and the stools are also excellent for standing on to reach stuff that's just out of reach. A plastic five-gallon bucket is higher, but I'm heavier than some 5' 1" women, so I prefer the stool. :-> A bucket or stool is excellent advice I should have taken years ago.

Remember - everyone tells you what works for them, and they assume it'll work for you, too.

These are expensive but your ol' back would probably cost more..

http://www.stakepuller.com/products.asp (or make your own using the same design) (I have used foot operated stake pullers on job sites)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby oldsoul » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 am

I'm thinking I might retire my playa-proven, but large and bulky pvc dome and go with one of these for 2008. Very nice price on something that space efficient.

The saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," comes to mind, but what the hell, if the thing falls down I'll have fun trying to jury rig it to stay up.

Does it come with a base to secure the center pole into? Or would you even want something like that? I have no experience with these types of structures.
oldsoul

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping