Destiny Lounge for 2008!

Destiny Lounge for 2008!

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey there fellow eplayans!

The Destiny Lounge will be returning once more to the playa, hopefully in the 3:00 plaza area where we were last year across from our friends in Terminal City! Our plans are still developing but here are some highlights so far:

We're going to have our comfy shady lounge area once more, carpet, couches, futons and the like. We will once again offer some of the finest lemonade and iced tea in BRC each day! We served up several hundred gallons last year!

The Fling of Destiny will return, freshly reborn and enhanced! This is our massive arcade game where you get to take a shot at flinging the world towards its fate!

And for music, we are once again expecting our DJ TGe as well as several guest DJs to spin their magic. Additionally we're going to have some live music events and probably a small stage with a piano, drumset and a couple of amps and PA and we will be encouraging jam sessions and performances at some to be announced times!

We're looking for a few interested folks who would enjoy our fairly mellow fun vibe. For camp members we offer a large private shade area for tents and hanging out, generously outfitted community kitchen, water, handwash, shower and a warm fuzzy feeling (batteries not included)! We're mainly based in the Los Angeles area, but others are welcome to join up if you think you might be a good fit! All members of our camp are expected to participate in general camp upkeep, cleanup and tear down (on Sunday). A lucky group will receive the privilege of earning their setup stripes and gain early entry in the process. We will have a schedule of "camp watchers" and all will be expected to take some shifts so we're never completely abandoned. Our target number for members is 25. There will be a camp fee for membership as yet undetermined. We have a pretty extensive camp infrastructure and we all pitch in to help pay the way. There will also be some building projects here in LA as we get closer to August and its always nice to have help!

If you would like a glimpse of our silliness from last year, you can check out our webpage here: http://destinylounge.outtatheway.com/DestinyLounge It'll be getting updated as we get closer and we start cementing our plans!

Looking forward to seeing all of you out on the playa!!

Doggy
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby changoloco » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Your camp looks gorgeous. I just wanted to let you know that none of the pictures on your website are showing up. I looked at some of the flicker photos. Stay in touch with me I may be interested in spinning/making some music at your camp. I play all sorts of on the 1's and 2's and I also play music.

Peace and love,
Chango
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Burning Since: 1997

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey thanks for the post! Keep an eye out for updates about our plans! I checked our page and the images seemed to be loading fine. Anyone else having an issue with that link?

bigbluedoggy

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:54 am

We'll stop by again this year Doggy...

This time we'll bring some rum.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks Le Chat! I'm looking forward to seeing you and Karine again!!! Talk soon!!

bigbluedoggy

Postby changoloco » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:57 pm

I just checked again and they are loading. However, they are loading very very slowly. Sorry about telling you they weren't loading.
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Burning Since: 1997

Postby ohmissfigurazh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:56 pm

wow! that's amazing.
I am very interested in joining but need more info, sice ive never been to the playa :oops:

several questions, pardon me for being such a noob about this:
how do i join? and how many people are allowed to join with me? {say i'm bringing my bf along}
how much is the ballpark of the fee to be in the theme camp and is this a per person fee or per group?
what is expected of me other than helping out around the theme camp, cleaning up, and watching the camp every now and then if on schedule?

Much appreciated, thanks so much.
ohmissfigurazh

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 am

pictures on your website will not load on my Microshit IE 7
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 am

they will load on Fire Fox
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey Teo! Thanks for that info.... weirdness.

Ohmissfigurazh: we are still in the very early planning stages for this year and not too sure of the camp fees until some sort of budget is assembled. Many large items were purchased and/or built last year in a big burst of "American Dream" consumerism (damn was I broke) which luckily means we now have a lot of this stuff. We are also still working out whether we will do group meals or do what we did this past year and just put in a kitchen and let people make use of it as they will. I am for the latter as people are rarely all in camp at the same time to deal with mass meals. I can tell you that it costs at least a few thousand dollars in truck rentals (2), fuel, miscellaneous construction materials, drink supplies (its an awful lot of lemonade and tea) and other camp infrastructure stuff. The more people we can split those costs among the less it costs everyone. What you get for jumping in and helping out is a really comfy camp to call home with a great mellow vibe and some pretty nice folks to share it all with.

Currently I think that at least 8-10 of last years campers will be back and hopefully a few more. We Burners tend to procrastinate on making that big decision until the crunch is on though! I suspect we will have room for 8 - 10 new members this year, so given that, we would very likely have room for you and your bf. Drop me a PM and we can connect a bit further to see if your vibe coincides with ours! We are a seriously "NO DRAMA" group, ranging in age from 18 to 60+

As a virgin to the playa, you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to read the Survival Guide and First Timers FAQ from cover to cover... several times. Almost every question you could have is addressed in there, including whether or not being a part of a theme camp is a good idea for your first year. I was in a theme camp my first year and I loved it! Others will tell you that its good to just show up on your own and take it all in your first time and not worry about volunteering or joining a theme camp. There is validity to both schools of thought and it is a personal choice you will need to make. My first burn was in '06 and I was fortunate to be a part of a theme camp with many seasoned vets who were very helpful. I also took some volunteer shifts and loved it! As any of my friends can tell you, BM was a life changer for me and I intend to be back every year! Actually, they will just tell you I'm crazy and have gone off the deep end, but that's another story! :-P

If you decide that we sound like a good fun place to be and you want in, there is no official entrance form, but cash will help ;-) and we will be looking for that probably by the end of July. In the meantime, we should chat some more offline and see if it "clicks"! I will tell you that everyone in our camp last year thought we had the best theme camp out there (I think everyone thinks that about their camp though)! We had a blast and I wish it was August already!!! Woof!!!

Doggy

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:53 am

Hi all,
I did a little update to our camp website tonite. Nothing major, just added a few pics and stuff. Check it out if you like! http://destinylounge.outtatheway.com/DestinyLounge

We have some neat stuff brewing for this year... :wink:

bigbluedoggy

Postby lonestoner916 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:36 am

You guys were great last year, I am very glad to see you'll be back in '08 it just wouldn't be the same without you! :D
lonestoner916

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Awww shucks! *blush* Thanks!

bigbluedoggy

Postby DeepSpace » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 am

Three words:
Fab U Luss!

See you in about 23 weeks.

XXX
DeepSpace

Sneak Preview!

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:36 am

Hey to all my eplaya friends! Destiny Lounge proudly presents you with a sneak preview of our new game for BM2008! RockYerBalls is a two player challenge game along the lines of those small table labyrinths we played as kids. This is the adult size model with a twist: both players have parallel controls for tilting and rocking the table! The idea is to get 2 of the 3 balls into holes of your color. Oh, by the way, all 3 balls are in play at once! There's more to it but that will hopefully get you intrigued! And so we present Rock Yer Balls!

This is a concept drawing and the colors don't mean much at this point. Construction started this weekend and here's a peek at the progress so far:

We still have a few openings in our camp membership for those who may be interested. August is a long way off still but we will probably fill up soon! If you want to be part of a fun group with some unique offerings (just like everyone else) drop me a note!!

Woof!

bigbluedoggy

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:00 am

Lookin' good blue doggy!!!

I used to spend lots of time playing that game as a kid. This might even be more fun that the giant lightbrite!!
LeChatNoir

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 am

Lookin' good blue doggy!!!

That's just because you have a need to jump up on the table and chase the ball around ...like cats do.

Nice blue dog.
MozyBonz

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks guys! I can't really compete with steam driven contraptions but I like to do my part in the ways I can ;-) Cheers!!

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Another progress update with a link to some construction pics. Feels good to get a jump so early on playa construction! Enjoy!

http://destinylounge.outtatheway.com/RockYerBalls_Photos

bigbluedoggy

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:46 pm

That looks like fun.

Anyonew know if the giant 3D puzzle will be out there again. They were at about 830 and esplanade. I had a blast figuring out those things.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby ragabashpup » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Wow it looks like construction is booking right along. Looks great so far can't wait to see it playaside.
ragabashpup

Postby nogganoodle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm

That looks pretty cool.

I miss the giant Kerplunk though. That thing was awesome!
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich
nogganoodle

Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Aww... Giant Kerplunk was a bit of an ordeal... the balls kept getting away and blowing across the street. Not to mention it was constantly in need of being reset. Most people played and then just left it pulled apart. There were a few kind souls who did reset it after they played though!

And then there was the Great Ball Kidnapping Escapade complete with ransom note... I think I've shared that on here before! I believe the balls made their way to the dumpster a few months ago... there was a huge pile of them and they were going pretty flat... so sad :-( I'm hoping the new game will make up for it!

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:28 pm

I do love a project! Here's a pic from this weekends efforts!
Zipping right along! Woof!!

bigbluedoggy

Postby CLARKcon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Holy smokes bigbluedoggy! I loved Destiny in 07' (and playing The Fling of Destiny---made 1 shot after about 6 tries :D ) Me and my buddy danced there a couple nights before going to The Booby Bar, nice night atmosphere/ DJ'ing. Look forward to seeing ya'll out and the new games in 08'!!
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby T-Burner » Sat May 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Doggy I sat at your camp for the eclipse and played the Fling of Destiny all night great fun thats also where I saw the Man burn the first time what a f.in night .I lived around the corner at camp gallavant Look forward to playing your new game thanks for all your hard work
T-Burner

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun May 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks Clark and T-Burner! make sure you guys find me this year and say hi!!! I should be at the eplaya meet and greet on Thursday too!

bigbluedoggy

New Website Up!

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun May 11, 2008 2:16 am

Howdy do! Just finished throwing together our webpage for this year! If you'd like to see the latest and greatest plans for our camp check out the link! http://destinylounge.outtatheway.com Still looking for a few interested people looking to be a part of our fun! Woof!!

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:33 pm

*Bump* Here's another pic of the ongoing game construction. So much to do...!!!!Image

Woof!!

bigbluedoggy

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat May 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Its looking really great, doggy!!

Wow…

I can’t wait to give it a tilt. back when I was little, my granddad had one of those table top games and I would sit and fiddle away the afternoon with it. What a great memory. I can’t wait to play it again, but HUGE!!!

The playa (and the people who paint it) allows me to be a kid again in ways I never thought possible.
LeChatNoir

Next

Return to 2008 Theme Camps