FLATTEST route from Los Angeles to BRC?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

FLATTEST route from Los Angeles to BRC?

Postby PatternInterrupt » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:24 pm

I drive an old school bus. Uphills = 15mph and the big downhills of the Sierra Nevadas are pretty scary. :shock:

Any ideas about a flatter way?
PatternInterrupt

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Gamelan X

Postby Trixy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:56 pm

I-15 to Las Vegas, to 95 North all the way to I-80.

Now, that's way more flat than thru the mountains, and there's still some hills, but much more flat than I-80 over mountains, or 395 up the back of the mountains.

It's going to be HOT and boring! So prepare and leave early, try to travel at night if possible, best of luck to you.

See you on the green playa!
Chillax, dude.
Trixy

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm

What Trixy said...

As a general rule, stick to the inter-state where you can. Those roads are designed with tractor trailers in mind, and the grade/incline is generally a lot less steep than some of the smaller roads.

Good luck!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Token » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:26 pm

LA to BRC via 395 - ~ 530 miles.
LA to BRC via Vegas and 95 ~ 770 miles.

With my 8 Mpg rig this is a difference of $220 round trip.

I just do what the big trucks do; drive slow and in low gear on the steep grades, up-hill as well as down-hill.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby PatternInterrupt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Do you prefer 395 to the 5? I get about the same mileage with my bus. The only thing I'm really worried about is curvy downhills. I get the bus professionally inspected every year, of course, but a runaway bus still haunts my dreams sometimes.

Although, in the dreams sometimes it starts flying... :D
PatternInterrupt

Camp Name: Gamelan X

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:59 pm

I-15 to Las Vegas, to 95 North all the way to I-80.

Trixy nailed this one. The same issue came up with a friend who posted the same question last week. This is probably the flattest route. Two things which were brought up to consider is 1) sometimes the wind can be an issue and 2) August heat can be a scorcher on this particular route.

Hwy 395 is another option but heading north after Bishop you start climbing into the old lava fields which in some places can be a 15 degree uphill slant which is NOT the best thing in the world for an old bus to have to tackle.[/quote]
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Token » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't remember twisty downhill on 395, at least not ones with a huge grade. Nothing like Donner Pass toward Sacramento

The big steep downhill part is a straight shot down into the Mojave on the trip back.

395 is my favorite. We camp on the way up and on the way back and soak in the hot springs. It makes the ride much nicer when you stop after 350 miles and enjoy God Country for a night.

Ultimately, just downshift on those high grades and take it slow. No need to race either up to BRC or back.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby wedeliver » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:50 pm

I checked the mileage and from Los Angeles to Gerlach via Reno, nv is 575 miles give or take...
If that be true, and "Google" map works, here is the shortest and flattest hwy system route to BRC from Los Angeles, CA take Hwy 395 to Bishop. Then take the Benton Crossing, Hwy 6 to Nevada Hwy 95, north to Fernley, etc... total about 550 miles. Not a major hill to climb or desend that I can think of.

I5 to I80 is 625 miles...

If you take 395 you have a least 2 major hills to pull, Sherwin Grade (7,000' above sea level) after Bishop, and then Conway Summit (8100' above sea level) after Lee Vining. You will be driving at 6,000 feet or higher for several hours. How will that effect your vehicle? Although here is a thought, if you find the mountain driving is hard you could take the Hawthorne Road after Lee Vining (at the base of Conway) Hwy 167 turns into hwy 359 in Nevada to Hawthorne Nevada then North on Hwy 95 to Fernley.

(there is a remote hot springs, one off of hwy 6 in Nevada (can't think of the name) and just a few miles south of Tonopah (Silver Peak hot springs).
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 am

That's how I'd go. If ya don't mind pulling the climb out of Bishop, you can turn right at... 167 (Becomes 359 in Nevada) and pick up 95 at Hawthorne. Otherwise do the highway 6 to 95.

There is a cutoff (Hwy... 360) that knocks off a few miles between 6 and 95. It's desolate but pretty. Puts ya in south of Mina.

(Man, I miss that area!!!)

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Flattest route from SF bay area?

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Didn't think it needed a separate thread...

What's the flattest route from the SF bay area? Or where can I find the info myself? Thanks

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:44 pm

It's a long haul...

SF area up 80 to 505 north to 5 north. Go a shitload of miles to the Redding area. From there go east on State Highway 32 or 36 (either works - it all becomes 36 eventually) to Susanville. Die in Susanville. Get up the next morning, go south on 395 to Reno, then north on Pyramid Way(445) to the lake, right at 446, and left at 447.

It's the flattest. It's also about a 2 day drive - one to Susanville, second to BRC via Reno. I've done both legs, each is a full drive. And about twice what it is via 80. Maybe more, But it's relatively flat the whole way there.

(Um - If you try to go via alturas, north on 385 from Susanville and across, beware... The Cedarville/alturas road is a steep, windy, nasty road. You can go that way but if your brakes fail don't whine to me).

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:It's a long haul...

SF area up 80 to 505 north to 5 north. Go a shitload of miles to the Redding area. From there go east on State Highway 32 or 36 (either works - it all becomes 36 eventually) to Susanville. Die in Susanville. Get up the next morning, go south on 395 to Reno, then north on Pyramid Way(445) to the lake, right at 446, and left at 447.

It's the flattest. It's also about a 2 day drive - one to Susanville, second to BRC via Reno. I've done both legs, each is a full drive. And about twice what it is via 80. Maybe more, But it's relatively flat the whole way there.

(Um - If you try to go via alturas, north on 385 from Susanville and across, beware... The Cedarville/alturas road is a steep, windy, nasty road. You can go that way but if your brakes fail don't whine to me).

bb

Ugg... Sounds like taking the normal route and multiplying the distance by 4. I guess I'll stick to Donner Pass. Thanks BBS. *hug*

EDIT: Hmm... ok, not quite as bad as I thought...
Donner Pass = 315 mi – about 5 hours 16 mins
Flat route = 475 mi – about 8 hours 12 mins

BTW, Looks like the road to Alturas is 385, not 395. I'll make sure to avoid it. :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:40 pm

wedeliver wrote:I checked the mileage and from Los Angeles to Gerlach via Reno, nv is 575 miles give or take...
If that be true, and "Google" map works, here is the shortest and flattest hwy system route to BRC from Los Angeles, CA take Hwy 395 to Bishop. Then take the Benton Crossing, Hwy 6 to Nevada Hwy 95, north to Fernley, etc... total about 550 miles. Not a major hill to climb or desend that I can think of.

From the Burning Man website:

Option Three: Spooky Desert

Route 395 North to Bishop
US-6 North to Basalt
NV-360 to Tonopah Junction
US-95 North to Schurz
alt-US-95 North to Silver Springs, and onward to Fernley
under I-80, alt-95 becomes NV-427, which connects to 447 at Wadsworth.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS ROUTE. IN 2005 SEVERAL PARTICIPANTS REPORTED THAT THE TRIBAL POLICE IN SCHURZ HARASSED AND ARRESTED THEM WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE.

Considering I will be towing a Art Car on a open trailer, anyone use this route in 2006?

Thanks!
"Do not follow where the path may lead; go instead, where there is no
path and leave a trail of clothes." - Pastor Philip
Charlie_in_OC

Postby wedeliver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:57 pm

capjbadger wrote: ...BTW, Looks like the road to Alturas is 385, not 395. I'll make sure to avoid it. :)Badger

Hwy 395 follows the Eastern Sierra to Eastern Cascades. I don't know of a California hwy numbered 385.

BBS was talking about Hwy 299 going East into Cedarville, CA Hwy 395 and 299 combine for a few miles North from Alturas, then 395 goes on North and 299 goes over the mountain to Cedarville. Then its a straight shot to BRC. The "steep" road BBS mentioned is actually very short, 2 or 3 miles I think. Much shorter then Donner. There are Cedarville people here that could answer that.

If you end up in the Alturas area, take a short detour north toward Klamath Falls 50 miles to Tionesta, CA. (not on 395, but on Hwy 139) Thats where we are at. if you wanna break in the drive. Camp here.. free camp, shower, water. fun.

I have always wanted to meet the famous badger.... if not here see ya in BRC

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I think she was talking about the bit of 385 between Susanville and Altras.

I think you're I little out of my way, but you'll be able to find me over with Lamplighter (and my 2 story dome).

The famous Badger?? haha I think you might be thinking of the other Badger on here. I think he's with the Rangers (?).

Badger
The younger

capjbadger

Postby wedeliver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Charlie_in_OC wrote:
From the Burning Man website:

Option Three: Spooky Desert

Route 395 North to Bishop
US-6 North to Basalt
NV-360 to Tonopah Junction
US-95 North to Schurz
alt-US-95 North to Silver Springs, and onward to Fernley
under I-80, alt-95 becomes NV-427, which connects to 447 at Wadsworth.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS ROUTE. IN 2005 SEVERAL PARTICIPANTS REPORTED THAT THE TRIBAL POLICE IN SCHURZ HARASSED AND ARRESTED THEM WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE.

Considering I will be towing a Art Car on a open trailer, anyone use this route in 2006?

Thanks!

I have driven Hwy 95 through Schurz for years, my daughters played soccer in Yerrington when we lived in Silver Springs. I would think it would be wise to follow all driving laws as you go through Schurz, Yerrington, Lyons county, but I don't think they are any more vicious then the Nixon tribal police. I even got help one night when a trailer light went out, probably '03.

So, if you take Hwy 95, slow down on Reservatons!

Here is a reservation map.. http://ndep.nv.gov/tribe/tribal.map03.pdf

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby MrMullen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 pm

wedeliver wrote:I have driven Hwy 95 through Schurz for years, my daughters played soccer in Yerrington when we lived in Silver Springs. I would think it would be wise to follow all driving laws as you go through Schurz, Yerrington, Lyons county, but I don't think they are any more vicious then the Nixon tribal police. I even got help one night when a trailer light went out, probably '03.

So, if you take Hwy 95, slow down on Reservatons!

Here is a reservation map.. http://ndep.nv.gov/tribe/tribal.map03.pdf

I took the 395->6->95 route and I think it is the least hilly of them all. I liked it a lot and reported no problems driving. Just keep your speed down on the reservation like all reservations. Your just not driving on their land but possibly a nice little profit center to them.

In general, you should be driving the speed limit, be cleaned up, dressed properly and very polite on your way up to Burningman. Don't give the cops any reason to search you.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks