Travel time from LA?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Travel time from LA?

Postby cdchang » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:27 pm

Yet another question... This is my daughters and my first time at BM, and we are caravaning with a guy who went last year, and a couple that has been a few times before. He wants to leave Santa Clarita, CA (just north of Los Angeles) at 3:00 a.m. Sunday. Now when I "google map" the drive, it says the drive it just under 10 hours. He said it's a 15 hour drive, and even then, that puts us at the gate at 6:00 p.m. We can't get in until 12:01. Does anyone know if you can just park and sleep?? I'm thinking this guy is a bit over zealous... But I don't know what traffic is like through those small towns, plus the amount of other burners driving through, etc. any thoughts???

Postby Thunder Monkey » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 pm

remember potty breaks and excessive traffic. your friend may be over zealous, but that is because they want to be prepared. you'll know exactly why they give that time frame when you get there.

i would rather have someone say it takes 15 hours and have it take 13 to 16 than to think it takes 10 hours and have it take 13 to 16.

then theres going to be a lot of people that showed up early also. ever shown up to a movie 30 minutes early to find out it was sold out an hour ago?

your friend means you no harm and simply wants to share their wisdom through their own experience. you are lucky to have them.
Thunder Monkey

Postby Token » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Sure, it is 10 hours at the speed limit with no stops and good traffic karma.

Add a couple shopping stops, several rest stops ... 15 hours is good time.

If you take US395 up it is quite scenic. Good old fashioned road trip.
If you take I5 up it is faster but boring cow country.

Either way, take your time and take in the sights. Be safe on the road.
Burning Since: 2001

Postby cdchang » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks guys. I told my daughter I would do whatever they wanted, as they have done this before, so like you said, I'll just head out and enjoy the ride. He has us traveling up the 5 so there's plenty of food/rest stops. See ya there!

Postby stuart » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:48 pm

I've done 10 hours from Venice up the 5. This includes two quick stops for gas and nothing else. This was in an RV so it's not like we were setting any speed records. Coming from SC shaves a bit less than an hour for you. So, 15 hours from where you are seems pretty extreme.
call me baby

Postby cdchang » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks, Stuart... I may chat with him to see if he's down for leaving later. Leaving at 3:00 a.m. gives us 21 hours before we can even get through the gate. Thanks for sharing your travel time!

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks