Getting around for the physically challenged (ankles?)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Getting around for the physically challenged (ankles?)

Postby littlemissfancypants » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 am

First off, I'm not in a wheelchair, so please don't point me to that page on the BM site, I've already read it.

Around the end of May, I broke my left ankle. I will be getting my cast off July 11th, at which point I'll be told by my surgeon if I can put full weight, or partial weight on my ankle.

I will probably have a cane and hobbling until who knows when.

So, how can I get around the playa? I've heard bikes are a good idea, I'm just not sure if that's something advisable for someone with a tender ankle.

I could bring a wheelchair, but the only one I could get would be a free one from the Red Cross (so not at all like the customizability of one if I were confined to one).

I was told maybe to hitch rides on art cars? ;)
littlemissfancypants

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:26 am

I love the name.

Bring a chair or scooter if you can.
You can do all sorts of temporary decoration.
It needs to be visible on all sides at night.
Hot Wheelz has a limited number of chairs, but they never have enough.

Bring medical paperwork if you can for the dmv.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 am

Make the art cars your personal bus service.. I'm sure you would be an added attraction for them..

Read thruogh the lists and make contact with them before going may work..

WEar your cane.. The ground gets rough after a millon wheels or so.. Go to your local DMV and doctor for a temperary disability pemitt.. Buy, barrow or steal a scooter

A rong step off a bike could mess the ankle up.. Skip the bike.. See if you can peddle a trike..

I find riding my trike is more fun.. I can go along slow, meet greet people and stop to look at more stuff..
unjonharley

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 am

Yep, second vote for a pedal power trike.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:31 am

Tell your Dr. about the festival and ask for a temporary disabled placard. That will allow you to get a license from the Department of Mutant Vehicles for your vehicle, minibike, whatever....just in case your ankle gets angry at you during the event.

Most art cars will let you ride, especially if you have an ouchie, but it's hard to count on that to get you around to what you want to see.
mojo

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Good advice from folks so far.

I'd emphasize that *if* you elect to bring a motorized scooter, quad or art car that you absolutely have to have a 'disabled' placard issued from the DMV of whichever state you're coming from. A doctor's note won't cut it as far as getting a BRC DMV driving permit.
Isotopia

Postby littlemissfancypants » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice!!

Actually I'm coming in from Vancouver, Canada...

Tricycle? That sounds like crazy amounts of fun! :D
littlemissfancypants

Postby robotland » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:23 am

Remember to be as nice to that ankle as you can. BRC is an unusually hostile environment (although the locals are unusually non-hostile) so do everything that your doctor and your commonsense tells you about resting, elevation and extra support. It's SOOO tempting to just run around like a lunatic, given that the only way to NOT see something fascinating is to close your eyes....
Bring extra ankle tape and ibuprofen, and check the thrifts for some nice jump boots or something else with good ankle support. Careful about overdoing it pedaling a bike, even a trike.
If you're no longer wearing a cast, perhaps a fake one would get you more artcar rides...That, and leaving your tops at home. In my experience, they don't exactly stop for you like metro busses.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby phil » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Louise broke her leg badly in May or so of 2000. Total break of tibia, spiral fracture of fibula. They ran a rod through the tib and screwed a plate to the fib. No cast. She was on a walking cast by the Burn, but couldn't bear full weight, so she was on crutches. I emailed BMOrg and got permission for her to use a go-cart, which I rented at a local store that rented such toys - ATVs, go-peds, and so forth.

The go-cart was a mild hassle as the rangers always stopped us, but Louise had the proper placard which they never noticed till pointed out.

If your ankle is broken, I really recommend powered transportation, and if you're going for a week, that means gas-power. Please don't wreck your ankle by putting too much stress on it. If you can't get powered transportation, bring crutches - a cane won't be enough to relieve your ankle when you do too much. Crutches and wheel chairs will cost a great deal of effort. I've camped with guys who are full-time chair users, and coming back against the wind is very exhausting.

Rely on the kindness of strangers. Get help whenever you need it merely by asking. Get help before you need it. See you there, though - you'll have a ball.
phil

Postby phil » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:37 am

Get one of these -
and people will _beg_ to pedal you around. :->

(You sit in front.)
phil

Postby Hoolie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:56 pm

You could try to find a handcycle. They are recumbent bikes that you pedal with your hands. They are generally pretty pricey though, so you'd have to look around for something affordable. I assume you also need some good arm strength, but I've never used one. Might not be too bad on the flat playa.

You could try to find an old tandem bike and have the other rider do most of the pedaling.

Or you could incorporate this problem into a project. How about making a bicycle sidecar? Perhaps a scooter or small go-cart made into an art piece? (I think those cupcakes are basically just little motorized trikes.)

Picture here:
http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?image=23944
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby plowman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:51 pm

I shattered my left leg at burnung man in 05. My tibia spiderwebbed at the bottom (My heel foot and ankle were Ok) then spiraled to within 2 inches of my knee. The Doc at the Med tent was fantastic. He told me it was bad but didn't know how bad because he couldnt xray my leg. He splinted it and gave me crutches, and told me to go home as soon as possible. This happened on Tuesday night. I found someone to drive me East but not until Monday (thanks agian Colo. burners).
Don't depend on the bar or art cars, they are not taxis and you never know when they will stop for the night or where.
I was busted up all week but it was still a great time. I think one of the best times because I received more assistance than I ever emagined. but I still rubbed my underarms raw from the crutches.
A helping hand is great but be prepared to motivate on the playa on your own power.
The best therapy for me is to walk and ride my bike, it strengthens the muscles that antropied.
I still have my walking cast, If you want it let me know and I'll bring it with me
plowman

Postby skygod » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:23 am

plowman wrote: I was busted up all week but it was still a great time.

You spent the week at BM with an untreated, uncasted broken leg?
Wow!
I am not going to complain about anything ever again.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby littlemissfancypants » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:39 pm

I was actually now considering getting a hold of a little red wagon and whipping people on bikes to bring me around. ;) I need to look into prices...

You're all right though, I definitely need something that I can use on my own without help from anyone. I'm a very dependent person and I can't stand bugging people to help me out, even when it is legit.

I'll still have my crutches and walking cast after being told I can put weight on it.

We'll see...my funds are very limited; I'm arriving on a scholarship ticket. I've been asking around locally to see who has what in terms of...anything!

Thanks sooo so so much for the tips everyone!! *big hugz*
littlemissfancypants

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Since you're from Vancouver, be sure to follow the requirements of the Canadian Identity Act while on federal land.

viewtopic.php?t=16297

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby plowman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Couldn't drive my truck, (manual). So rather than sit in camp and bitch about the pain and feel sorry for myself, I went out and had fun. If I had known how bad it was broken I might have tried harder to go home but I couldn't afford an 11,000 dollar helicopter ride and I didn't want to leave my stuff out on the playa. Besides, I came to see the Man BURN and the Temple And the waffle burn and thats all there is to that. The Doc Was Pissed though
plowman

Postby plowman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Check out "Vedges and Gimps"
plowman

Postby skygod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Maybe there should be a "rides" area at center camp where people can stick up pieces up paper saying where and when they want to give rides to people.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:45 pm

There is.
It isn't organized though.

gyre

Postby littlemissfancypants » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 pm

[quote="plowman"]Check out "Vedges and Gimps"[/quote]

On the ePlaya or the BM site?
littlemissfancypants

Postby plowman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 pm

eplaya 2007 theme camps
plowman

FancyPants HEY!

Postby munney » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:24 pm

:cry: Hey Little Miss Gimpy Pants.... :cry:

:cry: I am all for the , Lets get Your eyeballs around to see everything, aspect, I just keep remembering the Radical SELF reliance aspect of BRC. :cry:

:cry: It would seem that knowing that you will be limited in your mobility, Keep a couple things in mind:::: :cry:

:x A. No Breakdancing :oops:
:x B. If you wanna Get around, make the arangements yourself, beforhand, with some Authority! :oops:
:x C. This is a Do-Ocracy, so if there should be a place in center camp for :x Rides, then make one, organize it, and or provide it yourself ... :oops:
:x D. WE are the Power that Be! :oops:
:x E. Get Creative, be you a Kajillionaire, or just a poor slob, there is free stuff and always a way If there is a will. :oops:

With Love. :lol:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"
munney

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks