rickshaw building plans?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

rickshaw building plans?

Postby LunaBear » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm partially disabled and I thought it would be fun for my friends and I to build a rickshaw to cart ourselves (well, me) around the playa in. After following google leads for a few hours, I'm not finding any helpful plans. Can anybody out there steer me in the right direction? My friends are welders, but I wanted to help out by providing a basic plan to start with. Help! and thanks!
"But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer." K. Kesey
LunaBear

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 am

I started building one last year - it is trickier than it looks. The 2 wheels in front can be hard to steer if they are not aligned properly. From my experiments, it seems one of the keys is to have the front steering column be vertical, so that as the front wheels are turned it does not change the geometry of the frame/wheels/ground. Try looking at photos of 3rd world rickshaws and you will see what I mean....if you do build something, post some photos!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:58 am

I have just started a ric-shaw.. This one will be set on a vehicle that is peddled from the passangers seat.. A Burning Man/stick man will appear to be pulling

The outside/ric-shaw will be made up over the top of the vehicle..

First two large wheels with axel.. The seat is a wicker arm chair.. The shaffes are attached to the chair along the bottom.. They are attached with a cut of plywood shaped to follow the lines of the chair bottom sides..The plywood is shaped down at the rear to below the chair with a hole to fit the axel..Any other goodys are just window dressings, paint, dragons and lights..

Hope this will help.. I will start adding pictures as i go along..
unjonharley

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:13 am

Not exactly what you are looking for but:

http://www.americanspeedster.com/index.htm
"Do not follow where the path may lead; go instead, where there is no
path and leave a trail of clothes." - Pastor Philip
Charlie_in_OC

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:22 pm

here are a few of my past experiments (that did not work so well)

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby LunaBear » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 am

Thanks all, for your responses- I had in mind a bicycle-pulled, one or two seater. Your pics are helpful, please post more. I'd like the rickshaw to attach to the bike like those small utility trailers do, so we can switch off cyclists when necessary. Once we get started, I'll post pics
:D
"But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer." K. Kesey
LunaBear

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:39 am

LunaBear wrote:Thanks all, for your responses- I had in mind a bicycle-pulled, one or two seater. Your pics are helpful, please post more. I'd like the rickshaw to attach to the bike like those small utility trailers do, so we can switch off cyclists when necessary. Once we get started, I'll post pics
:D

\/
Pictures this afternoon.. A two seater would mean a load of up to 400lb..????
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 am

We don't have a pic, but in the past larry put a bracket on the side/back of his bike which would pull a modified garden cart, four wheels for stability, and high box sides. I sat in it and he'd pedal or even pull it by hand. Unhooked easily with a pin/loop mechanism.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Traditional bicycle rickshaws

Postby porterico » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:15 pm

From the land of bicycle rickshaws...
these are tried and true people carriers... :wink:

porterico

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks