CDJ's vs Playa Dust

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

CDJ's vs Playa Dust

Postby Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:36 pm

So I really really really wanna bring my CDJ's to burning man (this is my first time), but I can't think of any feasible method of keeping playa dust out. I've heard of a few contraptions explained verbally but haven't ever heard or seen anything else. I looked through 7 or 8 pages in this thread but couldn't find anything related. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
2k7 Booty Resin Space Camp (7 and J)
2k8 Emerald City Sound Camp (2 and D)
2k9 Camp John The Jew (8 and C)
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby phil » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:19 pm

I suspect there is no way other than sealing them before you come to Burning Man and never opening them. Seriously.
phil

Postby Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:24 pm

lol I was affraid of that answer.
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby Dork » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Am I right in assuming you mean something along these lines?
http://www.geminidj.com/cdj02.html

Dust will enter it through any gaps, especially the slider and CD slot but also around the buttons. If you depend on the ones you have for your livelihood and/or the possibility of a couple hundred bucks plus time for repairs after you get back scare you, it's probably best to leave them at home. If you can stand a little risk, there are ways you can minimize how much dust gets in and hope you get lucky:

Have a completely sealed container you can easily put it in when not in use. Be diligent about using the container - if you aren't actively using the CDJ and standing near to it, put it in the box. If it's not in the box, the box itself should be sealed so it doesn't fill with dust.

Perform from a sheltered location - top and 3 sides around you. The back of a box truck is great for this. A carport, yurt, etc would also work. I know of one DJ who built a huge steel and plastic cage to play inside - overkill, but pretty cool.

Have a backup music source you can switch to if the wind picks up or you want to leave your post for a while.

Some sort of shield around the unit would also help.
Dork

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:26 pm

OK.. I have a few ideas that may help.. these would also depend somewhat on your equipment.

Do you have an external and/or wireless control? If so than GREAT heres how you can seal that puppy.

Get yourself a hardcase like a Pelican or cheaper equivalent. Drill a few holes through for your wires and after putting your wires through seal the gaps with silicone sealant or something similar.

The alkali plays hell with circuitry so another option might be to just keep the works in a large enclosure that can be opened and closed when needed, airflow can be run with some filters and computer case fans.. if you use 12v fans you can use a car battery for power.

Another option would be to hunt down some used stuff on ebay/craigslist/newspaper etc that you wont get too upset about trashing.

A final idea would be to put all your stuff in mp3 format and use a palmtop pc/notebook pc/mp3 jukebox to output your audio.

A buddy of mine that likes to host houseparties has found this to be an optimal sound solution for long running audio needs.. you can also exceed the usual 80 mins and have something pre-mixed/edited and literally have HOURS and HOURS of nonstop audio running unattended. 20-60 gig will give ya plenty of audio.

These are things I would consider as options if faced with your needs.. hope this helps and good luck.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby K-mom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:22 pm

I'd agree w/ Toolmaker. If you're already planning to dj in digittal format invest in a couple of larger storage mp3 players, plus some nice protective casing. They'll be safe from both the natural and human elements of destruction, wear n' tear, whatever you can imagine.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby Dewey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:22 pm

those are great ideas. :-) thanks for the input..... after speaking with a few others I'm debating whether I should even bring the stuff or not. I know it's a huge risk and my cd-j's are my livelyhood. It would kill me to break them lol. A good friend of mine has an idea similar to the "DJ BUBBLE" mentioned above. It might actually work.....how to test it though is a totally different story. I'll look into gettin some cheapo's from the net, prolly end up bringing those and trash'm. hehe
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby dj_john69 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Dont bring 'em unless you want to buy new ones once you get home.

I did a rave camp in 2002. We had a semi-sealed dj booth but we still went through 4 pairs of CDJ's. We tried cleaning them with an air compressor each day but once they stopped working...they never worked the same again.

Unless you can guarantee yourself of a way to totally Playa dust proof your dj area...it's not worth it.

Buy some older ones from online and enjoy them until they die on the Playa.
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Dewey » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm

yeah that's pretty much what I've come to find. Our camp has a community cdj/mixer in a box that doesn't matter if it comes back working or not. :-) thanks for the helpful input.
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby Finnegan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I’ve been wondering if these waterproof ipod cases might stand up to the playa:

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_c ... 20gb_case/

Might be a good solution, but I have never tried one. When I have taken my ipod out there, I just put it in a ziplock bag, with the wires through the corner, then sealed with duct tape. So far so good.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:59 pm

I want one of these:

http://www.weatherconnection.com/produc ... mfg=&page=

Although since it is a Utah company, I can get it cheaper in the mall.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dewey » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:30 pm

wow that's really cool. I want one too :-) web site is sold out though....
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby gyre » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:06 pm

I can't believe you guys carry these electronics out there.
Just go all the way with these.

http://www.dadafootwear.com/
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby Djnos » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:30 pm

Dewey, still considering bringing the CDJs out to the Playa? I would have said go ahead and throw caution to the wind(and alkili) but I met some really cool people the other day who had been to Burning Man, as I was playing on this gentleman's turntables, we were DJing a lil party, I asked if he had taken them to the burn and he agreed, after closer observation and hands-on experience with his turntables afterward, I would now say don't even think about it man, let the other people with those means do it, ones that have been doing it for years, and have the tools to throw away :) I am wanting to spin out there too and do some good dance music, so I just took the high road and asked some other burners if I could dJ with them and it looks good!! ::) See everyone at home on the Playa.
Djnos

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:43 pm

I bring mine out, and so far they've survived (they live in flight cases, and I take really good care of them). But seriously, I recommend that you DO NOT bring them out with you during your first trip to the playa.

Not that you wouldn't be able to protect them, and not that they would never survive, but because you should have as few concerns/responsibilities in your first year as possible. Even if everything's okay, you'll have a hard time really letting go and enjoying whatever moment you're in if a dust storm should start to kick up and you're worried about your gear.

That's my 2 cents...

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Djnos » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:21 pm

2Cents noted and saved in memory :) I hear you and that's basically where I have been leaning toward, i'm heading down on a big school bus with 20 people who are all seasoned vet burners so it will be a good time, thanks for the help and advice and I agree the less responsibilities i have the more i can PARTY woohoo oh and burn things ofcourse ;)
Djnos

Postby phil » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Don't forget your Beats Per Minute DJ watch from Tokyo Flash:
http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/watches/equalizer/bpm/

It also scrolls "some inspiring DJ phrases on screen. Some of the messages are a little tongue in cheek & you might get a laugh from them - "The roof is on fire!" - "They're workin' up a sweat!""

Builtin flashlight and it tells the time! Only 7,900 yen.
phil

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks