Green-connections-us and a huge art installation for eclipse

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Turning off the lights Wed 3AM is a good idea for eclipse as an art project in unity and eco-awareness?

You bet your bippy!
45%
Who Cares... I will be asleep!
9%
NO.. at 3am it would be too crazy and dangerous!
5%
THIS IS THE COOLEST IDEA EVER!
18%
Even though he is trying to create a bond with each other, and the earth, Uncle Fishbits is a tool!
23%

Total votes : 22

Green-connections-us and a huge art installation for eclipse

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Cheerio again! Uh oh so here we go! This is just getting the vibe and the thought and the idea and the love out there.. in a chance to bring us together for one moment... or as the lunar eclipse passes... for a couple minutes.

Call it art, or don't. Call it stupid or don't. Just have a good attitude in that this will happen at 2:50 in the AM... and well... if you don't want to do it, you will be putting yourself out to actually wake up and turn on lights... *OR* be coherent enough to try and foil it (not that I care.. shine lights, etc... some people were just being divisive and silly about being "forced" to participate in something.)

viewtopic.php?t=15251&highlight=massive

the semantic problem in that post is "power down" versus "lights off". Just lights.. nothing else. And it will be more feasible earlier in the week.... not a thursday or friday. but tues/wed am when the full lunar eclipse will be....

At a peak moment of the fest, it would be impossible (possibly)

Regardless of your response, I know this should be *VERY* simple to put forward on all the boards....

What about Tuesday.

2:50 in the am. during the total lunar eclipse.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/

I am getting goosebumps. Lights will already be off for the most part, and getting the word out should be simpler... as the earlier the arrival, the tighter the group. I feel those that get there before thursday am.. maybe we are tighter brethern? Maybe I am judging and assuming...anyhoo

it will bond and unite and start the merry makers who are setting up joy for everyone else.... oh boy!

maybe try to help me spread the word... tell your friends, strangers you meet... and see the reaction and let me know ... let me know if it is wasting your time.. a good idea... unimportant.. whatever! (and thank you so much.)

imagine... a late night lights off for all the early arriving diehards (or at least, sorta early.. at least on time) with a lunar eclipse to boot... with a tuesday wednesday combo that will make it SIMPLE... and worthwhile, and beautiful...

what do you think?
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
"Maturity is a bitter diasppointment,
for which no remedy exists, unless
laughter can be said to remedy
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:22 pm

I like it.

Camp Junto will shut off all lights for 5 minutes at the peak eclipse... 2:50 am on tuesday Morning.

I wish some way of orchestrating a complete, voluntary standstill and dark silence were possible for a couple of minutes. But that's just a neat mental image of mine. There are of course those who will wait until 2:50 am to turn everything on as bright as possible to offer a counter point. And that's exactly how it should be, really.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby AntiM » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:35 am

Heh, we're Hushvillians, so we have no lights except for a few solar bits which aren't too terribly bright. Could be said of our lights and ourselves by mid-week!
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:50 am

I think this is a great idea. Darkness will reign in the heavens above, and as above so below.

Might I suggest that instead of *making* it happen, just *letting* it happen. Spread the meme, and see how far it travels.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

I guess this is where this conversation is at....

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:46 am

viewtopic.php?p=301822#301822

Go here and talk about it.

Please. I don't give a crap if you like it or not.. or care or not...

But let's have discussion about turning off music and lights for the eclipse... do it!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

oh my..

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 am

that was a beautiful sentiment Diane.

THAT.. is the point. thanks.
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

VW Bus Camp pre-eclipse party

Postby Sawmi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:59 pm

That venerable playa institution, VW Bus Camp - this year celebrating our tenth consecutive year on the playa! - will host a pre-eclipse party starting at the beginning of the penumbral eclipse at playa time 12:52 am and going until the start of the total (umbral) eclipse at 2:52 am. This will feature the VERY lovely Bus Camp Hoop Girls led by Bus Camp's own amazing Merilu! As far as I know, Bus Camp has not been sited by Burning Man yet, so further info will be coming soon. I've copied the submission to the playa calendar below. (With much thanks to Fishbits for inspiring some of the more poetic wording in the Description!)

>Event title: Hoops of Saturn Lunar Eclipse HoopJam
>Description: Cosmic dance and spinning.... on a cold insignificant planet on
>the furthest spiral arm... two celestial bodies visually align for an exciting geocentric >nightdance...we, sentient enough to comprehend all this with our nervous systems, our >minds and our synapses firing….
>Come hoop with us just before the total Lunar Eclipse, as part of the
>largest art "installation" ever, The Marriage of the Sun and the Moon! Enjoy that
>spinning feeling with chill background music and lights! Have a refreshing
>Lunar IPA or Penumbra Punch in the hoopahh pub. Bring your hoop,
>or we'll have extras for you to use.
>Start date: August 28, 2007
>Duration: 119 minutes
>Category: none
>Hosted by: VW Bus Camp
>Event URL: none
>Email: vwbuscamp@vwbuscamp.com
>
>I'm working on the Penumbra Punch recipe right now. It's sort of like a margarita. If yer >making a shopping list yet, put down limes, clear tequila, & triple sec. But don't tell the CA >agriculture policia about the limes.
>Love,
>-Meri
Sawmi

YAY!

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:45 pm

Good luck and thank you and I am there with you for SURE!!!!!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby DJmoYst » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:44 pm

After years of star gazing and hanging out with a decent amount of telescope users, one idea is to get people to use a read film over flashlights and lanterns. red effects the eyes less than any other color light and prevents having to readjust your eyes.
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass
DJmoYst

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:56 pm

DJmoYst wrote:After years of star gazing and hanging out with a decent amount of telescope users, one idea is to get people to use a read film over flashlights and lanterns. red effects the eyes less than any other color light and prevents having to readjust your eyes.

just another Good reason to hang in the Red Light District!

But, anyway, I have never found BM to be overly bright to effect the atmospheric conditions and star gazing. Since, humitity is almost always around 30% or lower- unless it's going to storm there really isn't a low dense atmosphere to effect. But a recommend trip to the outer zone would be an improvement. If it's windy and dusty head to the northwest and southeast parts of the perimeter and out of the great dust maker the entrance route.

But to help you I will turn out my candle

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Return to Politics & Philosophy