LA to BRC RV route question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

LA to BRC RV route question

Postby djplusone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:05 am

we're headed to BRC from LA and i'm wondering if it's better to go the 5 north to the 80, up and over the sierras, or up the 395. we'll be driving up on mon night, so scenery isn't really much to factor in. we're just looking for the most fuel efficient way to get there. any thoughts, tips, etc?
housemusic
djplusone

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 am

This brings up the question...notice how the Survival Guide mentioned one town to avoid? First time I've seen that. Schurz, NV was singled out as having burner/tribal police conflicts last year. Any cites or details? I go up through there on 395/14 then over to 95 when coming up from Ventura. Never a problem and there is a big truck tire service place just north of Hawthorne and a big Scolari's in Yerrington. Good RV route for not-too-steep grades but a lot of miles between towns and mostly all two-lane narrowish roads so stay alert.

Edit: Nevermind...just saw you're coming up at night: go the 5/80 route for nice wide road safer night-time travel with an RV.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Token » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:02 pm

395 has easier grades, taller passes, more twisty two lane roads. Nice and scenic.

5/80 flat from Grapevine to Sacramento, much steeper grade at Donner Pass, at least four lanes, less twisty. Boring as can be for 300+ miles. Stinky cattle ranch smell all the way.

When trilering, I personally prefer to have the extra lanes. It just wears on me much less in terms of concentration needed to drive a large vehicle and not having to deal with tailgaters and reckless passing, which always happens on two lane roads. Passing large vehicles going the other direction and all the wind shear... Just easier on the 5/80 where you don't have to deal with that. This is called the white-knuckle-factor and it will tire you out rapidly.

As for fuel economy, distance traveled is the bottom line. If I remember correctly, 395 was maybe 40 or 60 fewer miles, not sure exactly.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby djplusone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 pm

thanks tiahaar and token
housemusic
djplusone

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 pm

I wouldnt exactly take 395 but I am a little more adventurous. I might go to Bishop and take US 6 to US 95 North. But that's just me ... I love the desert. It is farther in miles but probably a good deal flatter. Not as many places to fuel up along the way, though.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Hmm, I have been through Schurz before ... but not on the way to BM. Maybe people haven't spent enough money there on their way through. That tends to settle friction pretty quick. Stop in and spend some money and it doesn't take them long to figure out "hey, they're weird ... but this is the best week I have had all year!".
geekster

Postby mojo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:23 pm

We come from the Santa Barbara area and pull a trailer behind the RV - the 5/80 route is the safest, particularly at night. The best hint that I can give you is to be sure your water tanks are empty going over the mountains - it makes a big difference in gas consumption. Fill up with water in Reno.

The drive up I-5 is HORRENDOUSLY hot. Our old RV does not do well with AC so I always have a spray bottle handy and basically drive wet.

There is less expensive gas at Wesley (Pilot station, I think???) It's visible from the freeway.

There is a truck stop in Sacramento off of El Camino that has an RV dump station that you can use for free if you gas up.

Please be extra careful for burners that are hauling ass in their rented RV's - I have been very nearly run off the road a couple of times by people who just don't realize how long their rig is, or that it shouldn't go as fast as their BMW. (My! How snarky of me!)

Have a great trip - getting there is part of the art! I LOVE honking and waving at all the burners on the road. The obvious giveaways are the bikes, water bottles, and the inevitable blue tarp flapping and making noise in the wind. (The original Burning Man wind instrument).
mojo

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Have a great trip - getting there is part of the art! I LOVE honking and waving at all the burners on the road. The obvious giveaways are the bikes, water bottles, and the inevitable blue tarp flapping and making noise in the wind. (The original Burning Man wind instrument).

You forgot to mention the crap falling off them onto the road as their lashings saw through and shit goes flying off the trailer.

If you get a late start, you can probably find all the playawear you need along the side of the road on the way to the event.
geekster

Postby djplusone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:09 pm

thanks mojo! two questions for ya:

1. any tips on where to get water in reno? this is my first time with an rv so i'm not too adept at this stuff just yet. do i need to find a specific rv water tank filling spot?

2. i couldn't find wesley in either ca or nv. is it a city?
housemusic
djplusone

Postby mojo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm

Sorry - I misspelled it - its Westley. Is in CA, on the lonely part of I-5, before Stockton. It's always had good gas prices and has a really good almost new station with least expensive gas.

There are a few places in Reno for water - try the truckstops - they have always been good for us.
mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm

I remember one year my hubby just wasn't done with being naked although time to leave the playa - so he took off his gold lame leopard boxers - which were immediately sucked out of the open window. I'm sure they made a nice hood ornament because doubled back but never found them.
mojo

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm

The ice plant in Reno let us get water two years ago.
geekster

Postby djplusone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:38 pm

thanks again mojo! and funny story about your husband!

thanks as well geekster
housemusic
djplusone

Postby Token » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 pm

Map for Westley, CA

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 86081&om=1

If you look at the I 5 just before the 580 split, the two turnout donuts on the freeway, that is the Westley Safety Rest Stop. It is rougly mid point LA to BRC on this route.

Info on commercial burner-friendly water vendors can be found at the BM website:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... water.html
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby HughMungus » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:39 pm

We did 395 from LA to BRC last year. BEAUTIFUL. Oh and we did it in an RV so the grades are definitely not that big of an issue.

I've never done the other route so can't compare.

A few things you'll run into are (1) long stretches of no gas and no other civilization around to walk to to get gas so make sure you have your sh*t together (2) higher than normal gas prices due to remoteness.

We didn't run into any burner un-friendliness at all. Just keep to the posted speed limits and you'll be fine.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 pm

Simply Water is at 411 Keystone Avenue in the Keystone Square Shopping Center on the western end of Reno. Take the Keystone Avenue exit from I-80 and its right there, just south of the freeway, on the west side of Keystone Avenue. Their Summer hours are 9:00 am to 6:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Saturday, and 11:00 am to 5:00 Sunday, however, they will be staying open until at least 9 pm or later for Burning Man. The Keystone Square Shopping Center is anchored by an Albertson's Supermarket.

If you continue past the shopping center and take a right on 4th, the ice plant is up the road on the right. 1345 W 4th St But their hours are limited. THe people at Simply Water are super burner-friendly. If you are getting a few gallons, get it there. The albertsons there makes it a handy place to stop. That Albertsons also has dry ice as does the ice plant.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the ice plant hours are very limited (I seem to remember they closed shop at 6pm on the Saturday before the event in 04) and their water is basically city water from a hose. It is great for a barrel of shower water. I would get drinking water from one of the shops listed in the link mentioned a couple of postings up.
geekster

Postby djplusone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:02 pm

you all are great! thanks for this info! hope it helps others too
housemusic
djplusone

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks