Slow Dance Camp -- a proposal

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Slow Dance Camp -- a proposal

Postby Rev. Harry Pants » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 am

There seems to be enough techno-rave music happening in BRC -- not that that's altogether a bad thing. However, I have an idea that I may or may not use for this year's festival: Slow Dance Camp. All night SDC would play romantic slow-dance music of all genres (Big Band to the latest slo-jamz), and people would be compelled to find a partner, if only for one song.

It would be a great way for folks to meet each other and touch off some sexy love vibes. Very key is the music: no mopey slow songs about lost love or disappointment. Quite the opposite. Also key is the atmosphere: I imagine tiny white lights providing all the illumination, plus maybe a mirrored "disco" ball.

Again, I'm not sure if I can pull it off this year -- my campmates might not be into this idea, plus we're also one of the marching bands again this year. Furthermore, I'm not sure about my logistics -- I'm east of the Mississippi, and it's already a major production to bring ourselves + necessary gear 3/4 of the way across this landmass. Obtaining PA/soundboard/playback (likely a pair of iPods) would be an additional issue. If anyone else wants to run with this idea, cool.
Rev. Harry Pants

Postby thesacreddice » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:53 pm

I would be dancing there the whole time!
This is how we stay in love in Los Angeles

Postby blyslv » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:27 am

A couple of years ago there was a slow dance pavillon in the middle of the playa. Nothing more then 70 beats a minute, about the rate of a healthy heartbeat. It was a lovely place.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:51 pm

Sounds like a great idea, though I cringed hard when you used the 'R' word. While those sorts of things do exist, to me it's a very negative stereotype of what electronic dance music is all about.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby V » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:38 am

Comfort & Joy is a queer burning man theme camp that hosts restorative, relaxing, and celebratory social events + workshops.

This year we're hosting a slow-dance event called Sway on Wednesday evening, from 8:pm until midnight. Dancecards will be provided, along with a instruction session on basic dance steps from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Dancers, music lovers and couples of all types are encouraged to visit our camp and take to the dance floor for some classic rug cutting!

Return to 2006 Art & Performance