BRC, Yahoo Maps, zip codes, voting

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

BRC, Yahoo Maps, zip codes, voting

Postby Gravity Mike » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Maybe I'm the last to realize, but maybe not so I'll share my excitement:

Black Rock City NV is actually recognized as a destination/location by Yahoo Maps! The location is just about right, too. Pretty wild! Surely there are some yahoo burners out there.

I wonder if we'll be included in the 2010 census? I saw somewhere that the BRC post office has an actual zip code (I couldn't find it just looking now - does anybody know?). If we all registered to vote in BRC, we could really swing the electoral college with NV's whopping 5 electoral votes!

Gravity
Gravity Mike

Postby phil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:13 pm

I saw somewhere that the BRC post office has an actual zip code (I couldn't find it just looking now - does anybody know?).

I think that's not true. From the 7/15 JRS:
Nutmeg Alfredo writes: If you'd like to send mail to friends on the playa, send mail at the appropriate time to:

Friend or Enemy Name
Camp Name
Camp Address
c/o BRCPO
Burning Man
Gerlach, NV 89412

Postmistress Sylvia chimes in with: "That's the Zip code for Gerlach. But to get a delivery onto the playa and to the BRCPO, it has to be addressed "c/o BRCPO" and have a very detailed description of the person it is intended for and suspected camp location.

I think it's too late, now, but you can order personal stamps from
http://photo.stamps.com/PhotoStamps/?source=si10958644
They have someone eyeball each proposed stamp for boobs or something, and it takes "3-5 business days" to ship. It can be expedited, but who knows if they'll be delivered in time.

Louise and I got stamps with a picture of the Man burning on them to use to send postcards from BRCPO.
phil

Postby Gravity Mike » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 pm

Thanks Phil, that's what I saw.

I guess we can't register to vote in BRC after all. :cry:

Gravity
Gravity Mike

Postby phil » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:33 am

Hey! It's Burning Man, Mike. Set up your own voter registration booth and issue BRC voter registration cards. :->
phil

Postby Gravity Mike » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:45 pm

Great idea Phil - maybe next year. Already I'm struggling to finish up details for the rather substantial projects I'm contrubiting to my camp (Citrus Camp).

BTW, a friend sent me this great arial/satellite shot (not sure which - it's pretty high for sure) of BRC.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.75519 ... &t=k&hl=en

Gravity
Gravity Mike

Black Rock City on the map

Postby sdylewski » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:00 am

Yeah, I know a guy who works at the company which makes the database for the various mapping sites (yahoo, mapquest, google, etc) and he verified that Black Rock City was indeed added to the database as a "commune" a few months back. Once the various mapping sites update their databases, we should show up in them all!
sdylewski

What?

Postby Gatecrasher » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:59 pm

I personally added Black Rock City to Yahoo! Maps as my gift to burners so they can plan their mileage. It indeed does not show up anywhere else. ;-)

I've also got another easter egg planned, but I can't share yet.
Gatecrasher

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks