Burner express tickets

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Burner express tickets

Postby goathead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:50 am

(Trilo: This isn't a swipe at you. Nobody expects you to rewrite the search engine packaged with the board).

:shock:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:05 am

goathead wrote:(Trilo: This isn't a swipe at you. Nobody expects you to rewrite the search engine packaged with the board).

:shock:

What? The lad does a fook-ton of work, mostly unsung. Part of being a Good Human is not pissing off the 2% who are working hard so the rest of us can have a nice place to loaf. Without them there wouldn't be a functional platform for the snark. :mrgreen: I suppose some would call my comment shameless arse-kissing, but since I don't give it, and Trilo doesn't respond to it, I'd tend to file this under "thankful pre-emptive avoidance of unnecessary conflict".

YMMV. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:13 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:(Trilo: This isn't a swipe at you. Nobody expects you to rewrite the search engine packaged with the board).

It's getting kind of obvious that no-one has used the board search engine lately - typing in the words burner express with no quotes, no advance search, no parameters of any kind, I get 379 hits. The first page is all this thread, and then there's a ton of discussion from last year, and all the pages I looked at are actually about Burner Express.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Kairielise » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Ratty wrote:Kairielise, You rock too!

Thank you Ratty! :D
Kairielise

Burning Since: 2014

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 am

jkisha wrote:Justify and make all of the excuses you want to make. The fact still remains. Bullying is bullying and you are all being eplaya bullies.

Give me a break JK. Telling someone to get their shit together about Internet self-reliance and some image macro is not bullying. Bullying is a systematic attempt to demean and inflict harm on someone -- not just hurt feelings from an incident or two (in that case DEAL WITH IT). This is not bullying. I'm not following Kairielise around picking on her repeatedly in other threads -- or even in this one for that matter. In fact, that FeedTheNoob picture was really directed at the stupid-question-answering-feeders than the "noob". The OP simply got caught up in that one. Hell, I'd prefer that the word "noob" weren't even in that image macro, but that's the nicest looking on I could find on Google Images.

I think you're also setting the bar really low for adults on this forum. We don't need overprotective bleeding hearts leaping to the defense of every last person who doesn't get accommodated or maybe received some negative response. That's almost trollery in itself. People can handle themselves, and the OP and this thread has already proven so. So back off and let people fight their own battles.

And don't even make a ridiculous comparison to that child abuse story. It only serves to dilute your position in the matter and flippantly associate this thread's benign snark with child abuse.

Anyway, I don't think my reaction, or FFs, was unwarranted. Imagine a similar situation where someone asks some question explicitly answered in the guide like "how much water to bring?" WTF dude? It's in the FUCKING GUIDE. GET WITH IT. Show some self-reliance. would be the response. Oh dear, poor Johnny didn't get his question directly answered and even got a not-so-nice response in return. If this guy goes crying to his mom, maybe he just isn't the kind of person who should be attending the event in the first place.

Fortunately, this was not the case here; however, the response establishes, among other things, that someone should at least go through the effort of trying to find the answer before asking it -- and possibly even explain what the person did do up to that point. Framing of the question is important: a qualified question will go a long way to avoiding the "stupid" question assumption. It's like FF's analogy of helping out someone injured on the bike, vs. someone who can't be bothered to bring their own gear. It's not the request itself, but also the context of the request. In his example, he's also working on actual knowledge of the person's plight, and even if not: if someone were to ask him for a ride, just for a ride, he might be open to that.

For questions, however, there's nothing really to go on other than the question itself, and if it's a poorly frame and simple-fact-answer question, expect that your asking will be assumed to be out of laziness. We get a lot of those, and I think it's very valid to assume "the worst" about certain questions. The interesting thing was that Kairielise later followed up these LMFG and feed-the-noob posts with a paragraph of all the legwork she went through prior to asking the question. Had that that been established prior to the original question, it would not have evoked my one-liner JFGI, and later feed-the-noob picture.

So perhaps next time if the answer hasn't been found on Google already, the electricity this thread used will at least encourage better, qualified questions, e.g. "I went through X effort, but had no luck understanding/finding Y, please help me" rather than just "what is Y?"

In the end, I got all I wanted: Kairielise either went through the process of finding the solution or just explained in detail what she did (Mission Accomplished), a relatively cordial discussion took place on the matters, and Kairielise got exposed to ePlaya snark, survived, and slung some back!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Kairielise » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 am

I forgive you BBadger. :twisted: And I will be sure show my work in the future.

P.s. I think it's fucking awesome this ridiculous thread made the top of the "Active threads" list for a while. :lol:
Kairielise

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Kairielise wrote:I forgive you BBadger. :twisted: And I will be sure show my work in the future.

Oh, man. Remember that on math tests? SHOW YOUR WORK! Indeed. :lol:

. . . Yeah, we do like that.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Well put Badger. If I run into you in BRC I'll be sure to buy you... -shit. Beer is free. Buy you some ice?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

We'll sit back, chew some ice (actually pretty bad for the teeth), and check out your art project too!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Elderberry » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Blah, blah blah. Still bullying I see. Why else spend so many words to justify your actiosn and then declare victory. Shouldn't be necessary for anyone to share their work nor feel a victory necessary when responding to someone asksing a question.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

JK, you realize you're alone in your views, right? You're mistakenly attributing malice where none existed and are making overly broad, demonstrably false accusations with a good amount of sensationalism mixed in. One of two things is happening here.

1) You are trolling. If this is the case, please stop?
2) You are earnest but seriously off-base. If this is the case you need to reexamine your perspective and think twice before you make these kinds of posts.

I don't bear you any ill will, but your senseless white knighting is getting really tiresome. It has nothing to do with the OP and everything to do with you feeling the need to interject where it's unnecessary. :?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby Elderberry » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Deal with it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby aserendipity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Foss IS dealing
quite well in fact
aserendipity

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 pm

I think this sums it up: http://bit.ly/HpF3ov

BBadger

Postby gaminwench » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 pm

I like FF ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby aserendipity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 pm

me too !!
aserendipity

Re: Burner Express Bus Service To/From BRC

Postby Dobonian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 am

As a first-time burner who's flying in, I was getting kind of nervous about Burner Express and the fact that their site still says details are coming in mid-March. So I made a pest of myself and emailed them to ask what was up.

I figured it might reduce other first-timers' anxiety, and possibly even the load on the Burner Express guys' email box, to let everyone here know that I got an immediate and very nice response reassuring me that there will DEFINITELY be buses for the 2014 burn, and details are definitely coming real soon now. Look for an announcement in the next week or so.

So this is me, sitting tight and waiting for the Jackrabbit to Speak.
The Way is not the way, but you can park there and walk the rest of the way.
Dobonian

Camp Name: HOVerlandia

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm sorry that you missed places where info had been posted, but YES there will be a Burner Express bus service in 2014. Complete details are coming soon, and the site is expected to go live later this month. By comparison, last year the service was not announced until summer - there's definitely no need to be nervous at this point.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dobonian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm sorry that you missed places where info had been posted, but YES there will be a Burner Express bus service in 2014. Complete details are coming soon, and the site is expected to go live later this month. By comparison, last year the service was not announced until summer - there's definitely no need to be nervous at this point.

Thanks for redirecting my post.

Part of my nervousness has to do with the fact that some of my OTHER planning depends on the details of the Burner Express. For example, their maximum luggage size will determine how long are the sections of conduit I can pack, which will determine the shape of my shade structure, which will determine the size and amount of shade cloth I need to acquire, and so on. Please take it as eagerness rather than anxiety--completion of my main costume is now in sight, and I want to be ready to move on to shelter! And food! And what to make for gifts!
Dobonian

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 pm

If you're already planning for more than would typically be considered carry-on type stuff (such as camp infrastructure), you may want to plan on sorting out a rental vehicle and obtaining a vehicle pass. Your use of the word conduit jumps out at me as being an indicator that even a large luggage allowance wouldn't work for you. Conduit, even cut into small pieces, isn't really luggage - it's freight. And even if you're cutting it into 3 foot sections you'd be talking about a bunch of short poles plus you'd need a bunch of metal connectors in order to set your structure up. My advice would be to look at renting a cargo van (or similar), and then offering a rideshare (or multiple rideshares) for the other space. That will let you use conduit at the length you'll need (and reduce the amount you spend on connectors, too), as well as have capacity for the rest of your infrastructure, food, gifts, etc. Book the rental asap, you will be able to purchase a vehicle pass in the OMG sale (or in the after-market, more info on that soon). You should be able to get riders lined up for your empty space (if you're joining a camp, check with campmates first), which will help to offset the cost of the rental as well as to minimize the environmental impact.

Another option is to connect with people in your region to find out about freight options. There may be camps who will have haulage space to spare, or group-organized trucks and containers. If something like that is available it could prove to be the best route, since it would allow you to travel light(er) and have minimal needs for the bus or rideshare.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dobonian » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks, Trilobyte. I've already joined my regional group, so as that wakes up and gets more active it will no doubt expand the possibilities.

The (tentative) plan for shelter involved shipping a package to myself in Reno. Depending on size allowances I may still be able to go that route, we'll see exactly how it shapes up. The options you mention would certainly allow for more infrastructure. On the other hand, there's a great deal of satisfaction to be had in minimalism, and with more space and weight allowance the temptation will be strong to get too involved in the stuff and not enough in the experience. Plus, Burner Express gets its own express lane! We'll see how it all works out.

(I want to throw in here that my own experience in life has been that the most creative work I've done has been in response to constraints on the scope of the work. Give me unlimited supplies and space to work in, and I won't get anything done.)
Dobonian

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Believe me, even with what seems like a spacious cargo van, you'll be plenty constrained (especially if you're planning to share the ride). Aside from your personal gear and infrastructure, you'd be surprised at how fast space fills up once you start adding food and water. Next time you're at the supermarket, check out those 2.5 gallon containers of water. You'll need roughly 5-6 of those for every person that's riding in the vehicle (give or take, depending on time on playa, etc).

It may be worth noting that you'll probably need your own vehicle (or someone to drive you around) in order to get your package, and again upon your return to ship gear home. I still recommend booking a vehicle now (check the details on the site, when renting passenger vehicles/vans you can usually cancel in advance without any fees). First the rates go up, then the choices of vehicle start to disappear.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 pm

goathead wrote:
Ratty wrote:JK, You Rock.

FF, If it's too daunting a task, go outside and work in the garden. We'll answer the rhetorical and silly questions for you. Once the new eplayans get their 'legs' you can knock em down.

Why do they need legs?

so they don't leave snail tracks on linoleum?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 pm

ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:
Ratty wrote:JK, You Rock.

FF, If it's too daunting a task, go outside and work in the garden. We'll answer the rhetorical and silly questions for you. Once the new eplayans get their 'legs' you can knock em down.

Why do they need legs?

so they don't leave snail tracks on linoleum?

I don't leave snail tracks on linoleum, (and don't you dare make an obscene joke, Yggy) and I don't think they need legs.

And I'm pretty much the board's expert.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Transportation