Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby aly-kat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi hi! My name is Aly and I am a 2014 hopeful burner. Never been before but intensely psyched about even the THOUGHT of being able to go.

I have a few friends interested in going and we are slowly getting supplies together to make the expense seem not so large, and so we can save money for our tickets of course! We will be heading down from the west coast of Canada aaaaaand yeah I've basically spent most of my free time researching and making lists. I hope to make BM an annual event but of course I'll see how it goes first :wink:

Glad to be a part of the community and looking forward to all the wisdom that you have to share!
aly-kat

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Aly, Welcome and welcome to all of your friends. If you love it like we do...you'll be there every year that you can swing it. If you don't love it you'll still have the time of your life. Get to know us here on Eplaya. Party with us next August.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi Aly-Kat!

If all of your friends are still interested a year from now, you've beat the odds. So consider making contingency plans that include traveling in a pared-down group (just in case) 'cause as the event approaches people tend to get scared/get hired/go broke/get pregnant/la la la, etc. Save more than you think you'll need, and learn more than you think you need to know, just in case your shademaster has some sort of spaz attack. ;)

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby britzbitz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm

aly-kat wrote: We will be heading down from the west coast of Canada aaaaaand yeah I've basically spent most of my free time researching and making lists. I hope to make BM an annual event but of course I'll see how it goes first :wink:

Hey Aly, there's a pretty strong Burner community in Vancouver. Check out the BurningVan group on Facebook!
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby aly-kat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 am

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes! I know that some will possibly drop off but one will definitely go. And thank you for the advice :D I am taking a serious boy scout approach and being as prepared as I could imagine and then some.

britzbitz, thank you! I joined the Facebook groups for BC Burning Man and Burning Man Vancouver the minute I started thinking about BM 2014. I do more BM studying than I do actual studying for night school... it's becoming a glorious problem lol.
aly-kat

Postby pjcooper621 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 am

Hi my name is Pete and I live out in the rural frontier of Schenectady County in NY. I'm now retired and itching to get on the road again. I'm a Geek, Techie. Retired out of iT network support in Education. Before that I with
Med as a NYS licensed Respiratory Therapist. I'm into all kinds of building projects. Last was was added solar to my 2005 Fourwinds RV. The other projects if updating adding my kitchen cabinets for a wall oven with crown moulding and puck lighting all around. I can help with construction and electric installations and also help out in the infirmary. :lol:
Last edited by pjcooper621 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pjcooper621

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 am

Welcome PcCooper. There are endless opportunities to volunteer at Burning Man. You have to be careful to not volunteer too much. You'll miss the fun. Do lots of research. All of your questions have been answered here on Eplaya. Welcome and see you in the dust.
Ratty

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Disagree about volunteering too much, some people go to "Working Man." Volunteering, sometimes, puts you smack right in the fun! Especially if you're an introvert/shy, volunteering will get you out and about and interacting with everybody.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 pm

pjcooper621 wrote:Hi my name is Pete and I live out in the rural frontier of Schenectady County in NY. I'm now retired and itching to get on the road again. I'm a Geek, Techie. Retired out of iT network support in Education. Before that I with
Med as a NYS licensed Respiratory Therapist. I'm into all kinds of building projects. Last was was added solar to my 2005 Fourwinds RV. The other projects if updating adding my kitchen cabinets for a wall oven with crown moulding and puck lighting all around. I can help with construction and electric installations and also help out in the infirmary. :lol:

Welcome, Pete!

Looks like you're a man of many talents. :) Construction & electrical guys have a field day at Burning Man. You might look for regional groups on Facebook and via the Regionals link (your state or neighboring ones).

http://regionals.burningman.com/

Volunteer opportunities are here . . . I'm of the "don't overcommit" school of thought, in part because once you're in the system for 1 or 2 shifts, you can often add additional shifts on the playa if you really feel moved to do so. There are also things like Lamplighters and the Post Office, which allow daily walk-up volunteers.

http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

Savannah

Postby cyrini » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:33 am

Heya my name is cyrini im also looking to take my first trip and become a burner along with a few friends ive been wanting to go for so many years now but you know how it goes one thing after another but this year we have said no enough is enough so we are starting planning a prep now for 2014. we will be coming from Dublin so hopefully i can make friends with some of the of the guys and gals over here before hand. looking for ward to make many new friends and memories to share.
much love to all
cyrini

Postby Ratty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Welcome Cyrini, get to know us. do lots of research and prep. It will save you. Also subscribe to the news letter. You'll find it on the BM home page. Jack Rabbit Speaks. That way you'll know when and how the tickets go on sale. Nice to meetcha.
Ratty

Postby Schrada » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:33 pm

How's it....looking 2 go to Burning Man 4 the 1st time!!! Can't wait. I have heard so much about it, always been interested in going & have decided that its time!! I'm a very easy going guy...love meeting new friends & looking to have the time of my life. I live in upstate NY, near Syracuse...I have read the survival guide, 1st timers guide.. I love the whole "Leave No Trace" concept. Being from NY I am looking for people in the area who might be driving ( of course I pay my way, pitch in 4 gas/expenses, I'm a good driver..they gave me a license!! ) or looking 4 ideas on the best way 2 get there & how 2 pack what I need 2 Burn. (Tent,bike,food+water)...anyway...don't want 2 go on & on ...just any help/info would b much appreciated!!!!
Schrada

Camp Name: N/a

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Cyrini and Schrada! :D

Both of you would do well to get in touch with your local Burners--make friends, share vehicles, talk shop. Add yourself to mailing lists in your area and nearby areas.

http://regionals.burningman.com/

If you're on Facebook, google facebook burning man [city] and see what you can find.

Closer to the event there is also a rideshare board, the "Burner Express" bus service from Reno will probably be back, etc . . . lots of info here. Read up! We love people who study. If you get really stuck, we don't mind answering questions, especially unusual ones.

Welcome!

Savannah

Postby sppryor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi! I've never been to burning man but I look forward to going in 2014! My name is Sean, and I am originally from South Carolina. I moved to San Francisco for work as a graphic designer about a year ago working for a startup doing front end web work. I've read through all the stuff I can find from the Survival Guide to random other peoples blogs, and can't wait to experience it first hand.
sppryor

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Welcome, Sppryor! :D

Savannah

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Welcome!

Dobie Gillis fan?
gyre

Postby Ratty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 am

Welcome Sppryor, You'll find a plethora of info here. Years of questions and answers. Get to know us. Take part in this virtual world. Come to Decompression on Sunday Oct 13th. Plan to spend the day. Bring a blanket. Sit in the park and talk. Great to meetcha.
Ratty

Postby sppryor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! I do plan to go to Decompression, it sounds super fun and I am hoping I might meet some people I can help work on a project. I don't know if I want to camp solo or not, but I think I would really enjoy giving someone a hand on a project.
sppryor

Postby Ghastli » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Ghastli here,

23 year old sharp tongued artist chick from small town California...where no one ever really leaves. You know 'em as kids- you'll know 'em when they HAVE kids.
I'm one of the few with the wanderlust and Burning man is my latest obsession. Just want to meet people who know what they're talking about and maybe make a few friends.
I don't know if there are many comic book fans out here but that's my bread and butter- I work as an apprentice inker to Art Thibert at DC comics and while it takes up pretty much all of my time I love it.

I'll be honest I didn't know much about burning man except what I'd been told on TV up until a few weeks ago.

from what I've investigated, it's unlike anything I had imagined and I can't get enough of the pictures, videos and accounts of people who have experienced it first hand.

A week ago I was saying "It's something I want to do before I'm thirty"

but now It's "something I HAVE to do when I have the money saved."

Look forward to getting to know some of you.
Ghastli

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi, Ghastli.
You must be quite good, doing professional work already.
gyre

Postby Ghastli » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Its a constant learning process but I guess he saw something in me =) Thank you!
I actually start work on batman detective comics 26 this week...if you dig comics do pick it up (not to get off topic, I'm just excited) I may not be credited yet but you see the name Thibert this year I...helped lol.
Ghastli

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 am

Welcome Ghastli!

Watch out, or we'll name you Inker. Sounds like a terrific way to earn a living. Sadly, our only comic shop in town went under, after decades of being a fixture downtown.

You're in a good place logistically and with good burner networks in place. That helps a lot. See you on the playa!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:44 am

Congratulations on that.

Get ready for next year.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Ghastli! Nice nick. :D

Savannah

Postby Ghastli » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks guy! I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum!
Ghastli

Postby Slackopotamus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 am

Hey guys,
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.
I am the rare and seldom seen Slackopotmus. I will hopefully be slithering into BM this year for my first time (VIRGIN!) oops did I say that outloud!? Slackopotmus will be my Plya name(but you may call me Slack for short).
S
I think I thunk a thought a thought I think!
Slackopotamus

Postby Ratty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am

Love your handle. Welcome and can't wait to meet you in the flesh. (Thinking you may be a sloth and very jiggly).
Ratty

Postby Samri » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello my name is John Chester and I'm going to Burning man 2014. I've never been there, but I have the will to create and courage to explore. Having just reached the age where exploring the world is possible (18 for me) I want out of my boundaries and to see new perspectives all while having no worries. I'm a fire spinner with great poi experience and minor staff skills, work in a genetics lab that has just split up from the government, and have just started collage. I like helping because meeting people by working together is fun. Grew up and still live on a small farm in the country and participate in most art that happens in my city of Columbia's down town area. I worry about picking a bad camp but I'll have all that I need rough it on my own and extra stuff for trade and gifts.

Thank you for making this Forum
Samri

Postby syk20 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:06 am

Hey my name's Sean and I'm a 21 year old student from Philadelphia. One of my close friends went to Burning Man 2013 and he came back a changed man. We talked long and hard about his experience from which he summed up; 'you can't explain with words, you have to go and immerse yourself'. So here I am, first step into the wild eye opening ride that is Burning Man.

I'm multilingual in Korean and English, but I can speak in conversational Spanish and Japanese. I love snowboarding and surfing! No better feeling than taking that first breath of fresh air on a lift 30 ft up.
I would love nothing more than to drop all of my responsibilities and just travel the world, but I'm not there yet. Hopefully I'll meet some awesome people on this board who'll help me out on my first burn!
syk20

Postby Ratty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 am

Welcome Samri and Sean. (Hugging you both at once). You youngsters are so brave and bold to come to the 'Burn'. Hanging around here will help you to get ready. A week in the desert. A vacation. A sojourn into another dimension. Whatever you call it, get well prepared and have the time of your life. Welcome to Eplaya. A sustainable, natural resource.
Ratty

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!