Corn bread recipe please

All things outside of Burning Man.

Corn bread recipe please

Postby Bumble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi all,

so i tasted corn bread for the first time at BDC this year & loved it! (i was told it was store bought, but delicious)

I would love a recommendation for a recipe for a savoury version to have with chilli tonight (no pressure :)

i think i have ingredients - i have found a few online, but a recommended one i am sure would be nicer -especially from any of you southerners
Bumble

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: P6 (BDV)

Re: Corn bread recipe please

Postby Bumble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 pm

another 2 questions

- can i use a cake tin verses a skillet (as i don't have one)
- to put sugar or not to put sugar in it, i am getting mixed answers on tin-ternet.
- honey & cheese????
Bumble

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:06 am

*points to internet search engines*

Congrats on discovering corn bread, it's seriously tasty stuff. It's also pretty easy to make, and there are many different variants out there. Most recipe sites will have several recipes, and it's a popular enough thing that you should see reviews and ratings that will help steer you in directions of recipes that might be worth trying. When I'm scouting new (to me) recipes online, I scan through 2 or 3 that look interesting or seem highly rated, and read each. As I see similarities and common steps between the recipes, I'm able to decide either which one to try or which direction I want to head if I'm making my own thing. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bumble » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks Trilo, however it isn't that easy for me, for this one - i am all over internet searching for most things BUT when you have only eaten something once before -and at burning man after a few beers (Nevada pale i have recently found out, is quite high in alcohol:)) it is very difficult to decipher the recipes, stars or no stars. I was hoping that someone might have "grandma's great recipe" or "fool proof corn bread for beginners" - Or more importantly a discussion on what constitutes real cornbread to have with Chilli con cane.
(considering i took tortillas to the chilli cook off, as i didn't know what cornbread was - i do need a lot of extra education on this one!)

a lot look sweet - some have baking soda, some not - I don't have a skillet...so this is what i think i'll settle on this one as it comes with an easy rating, no sugar & uses a baking dish!

Ingredients
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (shake before measuring)
2 large eggs

maybe i should just head to costco and see if they stock it????
Bumble

Postby Ulisse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:23 am

Hi Bumble, we met when you where guarding the door at the meet n greet- I was the one stupified with over stimulation.
That's pretty close to the recipe I use except I'll add a couple tablespoons of sugar or some honey. If you don't have buttermilk regular milk will sub. This is about right for an 8"x8" glass or metal cake pan. You can double the recipe for a larger pan and it works ok. Cornbread is very forgiving. Honey on top is good so is bacon grease. 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes or a little less. 204 degrees C
Ulisse

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:44 am

add 1/4 sugar to the recipe, it adds just the fainest sweetness to the recipe you have above (that's the way The Boyfriend makes it)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 am

Eric wrote:add 1/4 sugar to the recipe, it adds just the fainest sweetness to the recipe you have above (that's the way The Boyfriend makes it)

Eric 'Ol Bean, everyone South of the Mason-Dixon line just let out a collective gasp. One does not simply add sugar to proper corn bread. That, would be a sacrilidge of the highest order.

One uses molassas. The darker, the better.

Please take a moment to educate He-Who-Uses-Sugar-Inappropriately in this matter. Remember: The South shall rise again, and when they do, the sugary-cornbread makers who blastpheme 300 years of Dixie culinary perfection will be the first ones up against the wall! :mrgreen:

(Seriously, have him try it. Crazy goobers down here got this one right!)
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 am

For every Southern cook who swears to never use sugar there are two who lie and sneak it in. Just FYI. Sugar helps to firm the crumb, as does the wheat flour. You can get away with less flour if you cook it in a hot skillet, as the crust will help stabilize it. For sugar I prefer to use honey, as that helps to preserve the just-baked taste for several hours, and I think improves the crumb.

Baking soda is less likely to destablize your crumb than baking powder, which is double-acting, but you need to add the baking soda at just about the last stir and bake immediately for best results.

Competently baked cornbread can be spread with butter and eaten with the fingers, without falling to bits.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Bumble » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 am

thanks y'all

i think it went ok for my first try.
i did put a small amount of sugar (no molasses in the house) and originally there was no flour - but as it was really runny i added it to bulk it up

The only problem was, was that i thought it was done - but i was too quick as the bottom was stuck. (cooked at 190oC = 395F for 25mins)

pictures below -( can't seem to add them without having to link?)

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/6nkpsu8lf/Screen_Shot_2013_09_27_at_10_52_42_PM.png]

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/tnrd566f7/Screen_Shot_2013_09_27_at_10_52_57_PM.png]

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/6c39g2s5f/Screen_Shot_2013_09_27_at_10_53_24_PM.png]
Bumble

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:07 am

should i send you a few boxes?

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Bumble » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:47 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:should i send you a few boxes?

Thanks for the offer - i used polenta (same same as corn meal i believe)

Toby has just got home & all i am hearing is "Yum, Yum" so i think it was a success!
Although, not as nice cold - a bit stodgy - i might lay off the flour
Or re-heat with honey???
Bumble

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 am

Re-heat with butter AND honey.

That Jiffy stuff is entirely acceptable, in a pinch.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:52 am

The best I tasted accually had creamed corn in the reciepe. (oh, and green chillies)

Very moist and sweet without sugar. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 am

i always add real "shortnin'" to mine...

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby tamarakay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 am

Preheating the pan with a bit of bacon grease or oil in it is important. That's how you get that crunchy yummy edge. Oh man, I need to go make some cornbread now
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tummler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 am

Go to the library immediately and check out "The Cornbread Gospels" by Crescent (not her birth name) Dragonwagon. It's the definite book on cornbread, packed with history, scholarship, and recipes.

Make as many cornbread variations as call to you. Host potlucks and get invited to potlucks. Bring cornbread to potlucks until people say, "Oh my God, here comes Bumble carting out another damn cornbread."

When you can make a cornbread without using a recipe, then, grasshopper, will you truly know cornbread.
tummler

Postby Patsh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 am

My favourite recipe has whole corn, chopped chilies and sharp cheddar added...
the trick is to be sure it's baked all the way through. (A toothpick poked in the middle should come out dry, when it's done.)

Yum! Now I want some!! :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

tamarakay wrote:Preheating the pan with a bit of bacon grease or oil in it is important. That's how you get that crunchy yummy edge.

YES YES!!! THIS!!! :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:56 am

Polenta is heavier than corn meal, much more like corn grits. At least in the US. You can make cornbread with it, but I'd be concerned with the texture. But if it tastes good, go for it. I do cook mine in a skillet, but you can put a circle of parchment paper in the bottom of your baking dish. Is it glass or metal? Dark metal? That all changes the baking time a little.

Can you shop on Amazon? They carry several brands of good yellow corn meal.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ataki » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am

We always made it without sugar growing up. Some of my fondest memories are of sitting with my grandfather, eating leftover cornbread in milk as dessert. :D
Praises be unto the blue wire, where forth all sarcasm may emit and to which may all sarcasm return... And though red wire be your brother in its eternal mockery, let us not forget that you two be different and unequal in your awesomeness.
Ataki

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:07 am

There is nothing new on ePlaya. :D

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 pm

junglesmacks wrote:1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- butter square glass pan
- combine dry in a separate bowl
- combine wet in a separate bowl
- combine the two
- 20 mins @ 400 - check with a toothpick when done.. should come out dry

The best cornbread you've ever had in your life.

Momma says so.

I haven't tried to make Junglesmack's momma's recipe, so until that day, my favorite recipe from scratch is on the side of a cornmeal box at home--only you replace the white sugar with brown sugar (a variant on using molasses, of course). So delicious. I will never make cornbread with white sugar again.

I'll look for my recipe when I get home.

I'll also have to try that tip of preheating the pan with bacon grease in it. :shock: I grease the pan, obviously, but I've never used bacon grease, or heated the pan first.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Box Burner » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Savannah wrote:There is nothing new on ePlaya. :D

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 pm

junglesmacks wrote:1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- butter square glass pan
- combine dry in a separate bowl
- combine wet in a separate bowl
- combine the two
- 20 mins @ 400 - check with a toothpick when done.. should come out dry

The best cornbread you've ever had in your life.

Momma says so.

I haven't tried to make Junglesmack's momma's recipe, so until that day, my favorite recipe from scratch is on the side of a cornmeal box at home--only you replace the white sugar with brown sugar (a variant on using molasses, of course). So delicious. I will never make cornbread with white sugar again.

I'll look for my recipe when I get home.

I'll also have to try that tip of preheating the pan with bacon grease in it. :shock: I grease the pan, obviously, but I've never used bacon grease, or heated the pan first.

This is pretty close to the recipe I like. I stick with the white sugar and add about 2 tsp of anise seed. Just guessing on the anise seed, because I just dump it into the mix right out of the spice bottle.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Elorrum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I made cornbread once from Polenta... I ground it a bit finer in a coffee grinder. I was overseas, homesick, and the taste was purely "home." I think I used my mother's old Joy of Cooking recipe for that. I put sugar in. It's a real wet dough, pours almost like a cake, don't stir it much. I usually just use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal box. I made it once with blueberries, and it came out a bit well, green, but it was good. I like that it's really a stealth kind of cake, with honey and butter, but we get to call it bread. I've always wondered what the "corn dodgers" that Rooster Cogburn extolls in True Grit, are.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Sorghum or molasses ON my corn bread please.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Elorrum wrote:I've always wondered what the "corn dodgers" that Rooster Cogburn extolls in True Grit, are.

Basically the same thing as a johnnycake - it's a skillet biscuit. I worked at a dude-ranch in Wyoming in 80/81, and we had an old grizzled ranch-hand (of course) and his wife Doris (I forgot his name), and they used to make these out by the buffalo paddock over an open fire for the tourists. Doris also made the most sinful chicken & dumplings - her dumplings were perfect all the way through, yet the size of a mans fist. Drooooooooooooool.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Eric wrote:
Elorrum wrote:I've always wondered what the "corn dodgers" that Rooster Cogburn extolls in True Grit, are.

Basically the same thing as a johnnycake - it's a skillet biscuit. I worked at a dude-ranch in Wyoming in 80/81, and we had an old grizzled ranch-hand (of course) and his wife Doris (I forgot his name), and they used to make these out by the buffalo paddock over an open fire for the tourists. Doris also made the most sinful chicken & dumplings - her dumplings were perfect all the way through, yet the size of a mans fist. Drooooooooooooool.

I've always wondered the same thing, Elorrum!! I'd love to one day have a pocket full, and share one with you! I have the same coat the Duke wears in that movie. And I'm adept and drunkenness and falling off a horse to pick a camp spot.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bumble » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

tummler wrote:Make as many cornbread variations as call to you. Host potlucks and get invited to potlucks. Bring cornbread to potlucks until people say, "Oh my God, here comes Bumble carting out another damn cornbread."

When you can make a cornbread without using a recipe, then, grasshopper, will you truly know cornbread.

i think i will do this - with all this advice!

Just had it this morning reheated with honey - i defiantly will try to get a finer corn meal i think.

Savannah, i didn't even think to search eplaya first - that will learn me!!
Bumble

Postby tamarakay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:56 pm

I need to get you my mom's cornbread stuffing recipe. Amazing stuff.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Bumble » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:04 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]i always add real "shortnin'" to mine...

thanks but i had to google what shortening was!

i am thinking i will try the left over with butter & vegemite!
[media]

to ensure that i have "rosy cheeks"
Bumble

Postby ygmir » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Bumble wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:i always add real "shortnin'" to mine...

thanks but i had to google what shortening was!

i am thinking i will try the left over with butter & vegemite!
[media]

to ensure that i have "rosy cheeks"

*runs to get Marlon Brando disguise*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Next

Return to Open Discussion