One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby phil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:00 am

I have a different take on cast iron cookware. I'm old. My mom grew up in the Depression, and my grandmother cooked on a woodburning stove all the time my mother remembered till in the 60s when I remember, using cast iron all those decades. We used cast iron stuff when I was growing up.

We kids were the dishwasher back in those days, and we washed cast iron skillets and griddles in the same sink with the same soapy water as we washed everything else. Dried the cast iron with a towel and put it away. I've continued this practice. Louise and I use our cast iron on the playa, wash it in soapy water, and leave it in the sun to dry. Here's a sample:
[media]

Mmmmmmm ..... bacon.

I realize washing cast iron in the sink with soap and water goes against all the rituals, but since that's how I was raised to do it from the 50s on, and I presume my mom did it the same way she taught me (from back in the 30s and 40s) and her mother before her (in the Teens through the 60s), I know no other way, and my cast iron (and my mom's and grandmom's) have never suffered from it.

I'm contemplating on switching to Canadian bacon for the 2014 Burn. But we'll still be washing our cast iron griddle in hot soapy water and letting it dry in the sun.

Eschew magic rituals with your iron. Thor will take care of it and of you.
phil

Postby bedlamdoll » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm

My brilliant plan of "start looking for a cheap bike as soon as the weather turned nasty" turned into "find said cheap bike in the first day of looking at postings," so now I have a bike. I'm doing a bike repair class being held by one of the locally based theme camps next month so I can at least be able to take care of the basics by myself.

Now I need to 1) pick up bike repair tools and 2) remember how to ride a bike.
bedlamdoll

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Postby tahiti_treat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Big one today: got an RV! It is a T@B travel trailer (a teardrop) - kitchen galley outside in the back, no shower or toilet, but feels like a significant upgrade from our 10 year old tent.
$(KGrHqRHJEMFIIv!OFq!BSGQRRfJbQ~~48_20.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Ohmehgod, so jealous. I love those teardrop campers! And I can't imagine how lovely the peace and quiet is...my first, maybe second night there this year, I had the dumbest #firstworldproblem complaint: the wind+my tent = so much noise, even with my earplugs, it was worse than an art car...so loud! I hope you rig it out (I hate the phrase "pimp") and have some fun.

I did laundry. I did Ranger training. That's not for BM, but it's related, non? I gifted a t-shirt* and showed off the boa Ratty made me.

*Best mail ever: box with some stuff in it, but said box came with shipping label for mailing back. Saved my ass, stuffing that box full of stuff and just dropping it off at the hotel. If you ever want to do something awesome for someone in the playa, try a big empty box with return postage. Makes packing SO MUCH easier!!
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

Tahiti, That is the cutest thing ever. It's like a puppy. What's it's name? You are going to be so happy in the little house.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 am

It's times like these I wish i was on the west coast so I could do the funky trailer thing.

I might have to steal tamarakay's idea and do a dyed monkey hut or something more interesting than the silver tarp.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby tahiti_treat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 am

We haven't named it yet... though the name "Danger Zone" has been batted around. Largely so when people come inside we can say "Welcome to the..... DANGER ZONE".

The first thing I plan to do is sew covers for the cushions. We may sew a costume for it eventually. The Mr. wants to make it look like a Bantha from Star Wars, but imagine lugging all that fun fur down to Nevada... we wouldn't have room for our own clothes!

VultureChow, we are not west coasters either... we drive over 2,000 km (1400 miles) to get to Burning Man. We'll have to budget more fuel $$ and more time to get there and back next year. And do some practice trips to see how she does going over the mountains. But we'll save money on hotels on the way down, and hopefully sleep better while we're there, which to me is priceless!
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 am

tahiti_treat wrote:We haven't named it yet... though the name "Danger Zone" has been batted around. Largely so when people come inside we can say "Welcome to the..... DANGER ZONE".

The first thing I plan to do is sew covers for the cushions. We may sew a costume for it eventually. The Mr. wants to make it look like a Bantha from Star Wars, but imagine lugging all that fun fur down to Nevada... we wouldn't have room for our own clothes!

VultureChow, we are not west coasters either... we drive over 2,000 km (1400 miles) to get to Burning Man. We'll have to budget more fuel $$ and more time to get there and back next year. And do some practice trips to see how she does going over the mountains. But we'll save money on hotels on the way down, and hopefully sleep better while we're there, which to me is priceless!

Then I wish I had the time to take to drive there and back.

I mean technically I could pull it off, but that would mean me taking a full two week vacation which would go over like a shirtcocker at the Ghetto. And getting a garage as I live in a condo. It's a dream. If BM is still around in ten years, maybe I can make the move to doing it. Till then I will strive to make my tent living a little more luxurious each year. (Air mattress was a great step up this year)

ETA: Image
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby lucky420 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 am

VultureChow wrote:It's times like these I wish i was on the west coast so I could do the funky trailer thing.

I might have to steal tamarakay's idea and do a dyed monkey hut or something more interesting than the silver tarp.

You could crochet one... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 am

lucky420 wrote:
VultureChow wrote:It's times like these I wish i was on the west coast so I could do the funky trailer thing.

You could crochet one... :coffee:

Monkey Hut? Yep after I posted that I was like crochet hut?! It might take some time, but acrylic yarn is pretty light weight, and I could reinforce it with paracord so there is less sagging. And or I could use some shade cloth over the hut and then add the crochet over top. . I could probably just use most of my yarn stash an do say 2 ft octagon granny squares in various colors.

I'll just add it to the pile of projects for next year. After I finish the design of my nordic hat pasties that I'm working on right now (Not for personal use)
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 am

Vulture chow. Your silver tarp keeps you cool. I saw some great indoor decorating. A solid ceiling of flags just like centercamps'. Triangles of mooped tents. You could do the inside like an arabian dream. With lightweight fabrics and a touch of metalic trims, tassels etc...You could decorate the openings on both ends. Pick a theme. Keep it cheap and simple so you can change it. Can you paint the tarp inside? Glue posters to it? Hum...Makes me wish I had one.
Ratty

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am

Ratty wrote:Vulture chow. Your silver tarp keeps you cool. I saw some great indoor decorating. A solid ceiling of flags just like centercamps'. Triangles of mooped tents. You could do the inside like an arabian dream. With lightweight fabrics and a touch of metalic trims, tassels etc...You could decorate the openings on both ends. Pick a theme. Keep it cheap and simple so you can change it. Can you paint the tarp inside? Glue posters to it? Hum...Makes me wish I had one.

I could still do the crochet over the top of the tarp. The hut feels study I don't think a few extra pounds of yarn over the top would kill it.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Ratty wrote:Vulture chow. Your silver tarp keeps you cool. I saw some great indoor decorating. A solid ceiling of flags just like centercamps'. Triangles of mooped tents. You could do the inside like an arabian dream. With lightweight fabrics and a touch of metalic trims, tassels etc...You could decorate the openings on both ends. Pick a theme. Keep it cheap and simple so you can change it. Can you paint the tarp inside? Glue posters to it? Hum...Makes me wish I had one.

I could still do the crochet over the top of the tarp. The hut feels study I don't think a few extra pounds of yarn over the top would kill it.

crochet a net for over the top with tie downs on the ends
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:09 pm

That would be a yarn to tell about :roll:
unjonharley

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Vulture Chow, I would get a 2 inch brush and paint some outlines on it. Circus tent.? Home sweet home with flower boxes under windows? No. I've got it!! How about silhouettes of sexy girls. THEN, since everything needs to be over done, I would embellish it with some cloth on ropes strung over the top. A faux peep show. Wow. Now I want that on my tent.
Ratty

Postby VultureChow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 am

Ratty wrote:Vulture Chow, I would get a 2 inch brush and paint some outlines on it. Circus tent.? Home sweet home with flower boxes under windows? No. I've got it!! How about silhouettes of sexy girls. THEN, since everything needs to be over done, I would embellish it with some cloth on ropes strung over the top. A faux peep show. Wow. Now I want that on my tent.

Painting the tarp gets me nervous. Virgin year I was witness to the moop factory that is an improperly painted tarp (or bedsheet, can't remember now)

I started doing one granny hexagon last night. I need to see how long it takes to get to 3 ft in diameter. I would need 24 of these to get decent coverages with some stretching to be expected.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby aly-kat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 pm

I bought some goggles and steampunked the heck out of them! because awesome.
aly-kat

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Elorrum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:17 pm

electric burning log. runs off 12V DC... crackling noises, not tested yet.
I will make a small, or portable fireplace and mantel.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:37 pm

that is so cute and cozy looking E!

want
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Elorrum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 pm

something like this one, in my apt., but smaller, and will run off a battery. I like to say, "oooh it's chilly. Shall I light the fire?" as I turn on the switch. It doesn't put out any heat, but it's pleasant to watch.

Elorrum

Postby Oldguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Received a new (old stock) muffler for my 2-stroke Harley golf-cart in the mail. I pissed a lot of people off with the old Yamaha muffler ( too loud ).

I got a PayPal account and have started shopping on the interwebs. I got a replacement maroon beret for my 18 Corps Army Airborne uniform, still need to find a glider/trooper patch.

Health-wise, I visited my nephrologist today, I have the Gout. Elevated Uric acid in the blood, kidney working at 37 percent, ultrasound showed left kidney enlarged with a non-cancerous cyst. I got a new med, Allopurinol, to reduce the acid. What I had thought was a jumper's knee pain, from Exodus ( 5-speed shifting ), was really the Gout. I am using Ibuprofen for the pain, which is less than when I had an incarcerated abdominal hernia repair in 1999. Yes, I have had my qualifying " procedure " to make me officially old. :coffee:
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Oldguy, Sorry about your gout. I know it's very painful. Take your meds, watch your diet and you'll get better. ((oldguy)).
Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Hummmmmmmmmmm. A double post. I'll just change this to a ......Happy dance. There. (Nobody will ever know that I posted double). Doh! Did I say that out loud?
Ratty

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:25 pm

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby geospyder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Almost bought multiple packages of Bacon Jerky at Costco for next year until I saw the expiration date :cry:

Hope they still carry Bacon Jerky next year.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:38 am

Figjam, I went through all my BM papers, stickers, cards etc.. I found a few duplicates and threw in a 'mint' map from this year. You may want to do some decoupage as well as stickers. Expect to get it Monday. kiss, kiss
Ratty

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 am

Many thanks Ratty!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Martiansky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 pm

The Burgin neighbors next to where my sister and I camped(awesome neighbors and they sure didnt act like it was their first burn!) in Hushville had brought a grill with them to cook on but instead of bringing charcoal with and having to deal with bringing the ashes home they had these really neat fire trays.
61eAstK0TzL__SY450_.jpg

My sister picked up a 10 pack for $40. As much as charcoal runs now $4 each really isnt too bad a price.
They are all self contained and all thats left after they burn out is an aluminum tray which to me makes the price worth it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Looks like sterno on steroids.

And the term you're looking for is "stealth virgin".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:19 pm

Very neat, Martiansky. I think I'll look into those. Exactly, Fishy, Burning ethanol, same as STERNO.

Elorrum

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks