Deaf burners or Deaf camps?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Deaf burners or Deaf camps?

Postby furfan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey Fellow Burners....

I have a deaf brother who is interested in attending BM but asked whether there are other deaf people that attend. I searched through the Camp listings for this years event and didn't see any. I also searched the forums here and only found a token reference to deaf people attending. I wanted to know if anyone knows of any organized deaf camps?

I think BM would be awesome for deaf people because it is so visual. Plus, they normally can't hear the music, but with the many of the music camps, they play so much techno with tons of bass, that deaf people could just feel the music and be in heaven. :P

Any comments/thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks.

Playa-bear Mike 8)
furfan

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Deaf burners or Deaf camps?

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:59 pm

gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Definitely camp near 10 or 2! It's perfect!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:29 pm

We set up a short-term bar on the fence with 3 huge coolers full of all sorts of drinks, many even non-alcoholic. I tossed some premium iced coffee drinks into a cooler for myself for after the bar closed, as a celebration. The bar went thru the all drinks and the ice. I should have separated my drinks but I didn't. Towards the end of the run a group of deaf burners also showed up, I tried to explain that all we had left was some ice and a beer or two, but when they saw inside the cooler, they reached straight for my iced coffee, the iced coffee I had been craving the whole afternoon, and let me tell you, when I tried to explain that to them, their deafness really kicked in.

True story.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:46 pm

furfan wrote:Hey Fellow Burners....

I have a deaf brother who is interested in attending BM but asked whether there are other deaf people that attend. I searched through the Camp listings for this years event and didn't see any. I also searched the forums here and only found a token reference to deaf people attending. I wanted to know if anyone knows of any organized deaf camps?

I think BM would be awesome for deaf people because it is so visual. Plus, they normally can't hear the music, but with the many of the music camps, they play so much techno with tons of bass, that deaf people could just feel the music and be in heaven. :P

Any comments/thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks.

Playa-bear Mike 8)

Hey Mike. I went to the main site, clicked on "Theme Camps" then 2013 in the right-hand margin. Entered "Deaf" into the search and got

Da Dirty Hands
Our deaf camp is unique where fellow deaf burners from all over, coming home to BRC, to teach American Sign Language, facial expression, gesture and body language. We teach anything you want to know, from basic words to naughty/dirty words for your future conversation to other deaf burners around BRC and back home to the default world.
Hometown: Oakland

Search their on Google and you'll find their Facebook. Maybe they'll Burn next year, too. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:16 pm

gyre

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:03 pm

I know one night we were out on our art car and a group of deaf people got on, SaritaSyrah talked to them for a while (I don't know sign language, she does) and they said they were part of a camp with other deaf people. It was a group of about 7 that got on so its out there.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby OregonRed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 pm

If you bring him, come by M*A*S*H (hell, come by anyway). I can always use somebody to practice my ASL with. :D
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the camps board, since that's a better fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby bad-and-ugly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 am

A camp full of deaf people, that would be so hot...
---Bernardo
bad-and-ugly

Burning Since: 2013

Return to 2014 Theme Camps