law enforcement 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: law enforcement 2013

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 am

Some while back I read or saw on TV. Police knew a grow operation was in a house.. They had no way of getting in.. The the police sent a dog to the front door.. The dog hit on the door.. The police charged in.. There was a grow operation.. The case was thrown out.. The dog had hit on the "outside" of the door..

Wounder what would happen if I did a roadside spray at entrance on a 1000 cars :?: :arrow:
unjonharley

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 am

you'd probably get your ass kicked?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 am

unjonharley wrote:Some while back I read or saw on TV. Police knew a grow operation was in a house.. They had no way of getting in.. The the police sent a dog to the front door.. The dog hit on the door.. The police charged in.. There was a grow operation.. The case was thrown out.. The dog had hit on the "outside" of the door..

Wounder what would happen if I did a roadside spray at entrance on a 1000 cars :?: :arrow:

loose bowels won't make anyone happy, UJH.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lothos 1162 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 am

The reason Pershing Sheriff and BLM rode together was to expidite LE matters.If it had to do with federal laws then BLM would handle,if it had to do with state,county or municipal then Pershing County would handle it. I had several interactions with LE this year,and none of it was negative.I was even stopped,because I had amber warning lights on my vehicle and CA plates.And I did have a Nevada amber light permit.
lothos 1162

Postby PlayaPatrol » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 am

The LEOs and professional medical staff at the hospital are paid well for WORKING. Thats the gift they get. The EMS etc volunteers get a ticket and daily meals. Thats the gift they get. The BLM, state police and counties sheriffs offices get many $thousand$ in revenue from fines and arrests and convictions. Thats the gifts they get. You don't need to gift them for fucking you.

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Paranoia is one thing.

I get sick of the fear mongering that surrounds the law enforcement leading up to and before the event. The self victimization of a community against brutal and tyrannical law enforcement is not my favorite thing either.

I get that an event like Burning Man (and our communities in defaultia) needs people who are sober, trained in extreme and emergency situations and who's job it is to deal with those situations when they arise so the rest of us can remain safe, and that the folks who give that gift deserve our gratitude and not vitriol.

I totally support trying to engage in positive interactions with law enforcement. I gifted bags of our fresh roasted New Mexico green chiles to any LEO's who happened to roll by while we had the roaster going.

HOWEVER,

I think that operating under the pretense of keeping us safe, service to the community and protecting public land to use the power to enforce inane drug laws, purely for economic gain is total bullshit.

Any reasonable person knows damn well that $500 dollar 'we caught you with drugs' fine isn't happening to keep me safe. It's happening to make some fucking money. The only reason drugs are illegal in the first place is to make some fucking money.

Fucking people over for money in the name of safety is not justifiable.

Getting ticked off because the asshats in charge think it's cool to step up the amount of fucking-people-for-money game is, I think, totally justified.

It is an entirely different thing than paranoia all together.
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby PlayaPatrol » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 am

There are hundreds of thousands of laws, statutues, ordiances. Police choose to enforce a tiny fraction. They are told enforce the law using their best judgement. Otherwise theyd be just enforcing the infractions and petty misdemenors, not the serious felonies. At BM they enforce the drug crimes and traffic violations. They attempt to coerce people to give them drugs and booze to be arrested. They are not looking for or enforcing violent felony crime. There is very little of that there. 75% of arrests and citations at BM are for drugs and traffic/dui. Thats documented.
According to BMORG, BLM is focused on drugs. Which means they don't give a shit about your camp being robbed and people being attacked. They are busy patrolling dance camps looking for drugs. They would rather catch lots of people with pot and make lots of money then catch a rapist.
Wake up.

RosieTahoe wrote:
PlayaPatrol wrote:
RosieTahoe wrote:Maybe I'm biased because my brother is a police officer (and is probably the nicest person you'll ever meet) but I think the cops have a tough job at the burn, they may not even agree with all the laws personally, but it is their job to enforce them.

Rosie, Of course you're biased, you're in a cop family. Black rock city is the only unarmed city in the USA. Violent crime is almost non existent. Attacks on officers are non existent. How is their job more tough then say, a cop in any other city in the USA? List some examples. Being a cop at BRC is closer to the level of a very rich small town where the only crime is DUI. Except in this city there iare lots of amazing people and things to look, nude women pose for photos and everyone is happy. Police pick and choose what laws to enforce. The difference is that in any other city USA people aren't stopped for driving one mile over the limit, then searched. In any other city USA people aren't constantly asked for drugs day and night, then arrested. In BRC they are.

God, PlayaPatrol, you seem so freaking angry at everyone. I'm sorry if you have had terrible experiences with cops in your life, but I absolutely do NOT come from a "cop family" as my brother has only been a police officer for about two years! In fact, it was difficult for all of us to get on board with his choice to become a cop because the rest of the family is against many of the laws that he has to enforce! The difficulty I was referring to is that many cops don't agree with all of our drug laws, or even the really slow speed limits, but is literally their job to enforce those laws. We should be working to change the laws we don't agree with, not blaming BLM for enforcing the laws on the books. Personally, I don't think we should have any laws regarding what I do to my own body, and any laws should be protecting me from the guy next to me, and visa versa. Just because there are no guns doesn't mean there isn't violence, and just because there are no ATTACKS on BLM agents doesn't mean that they don't feel the hostility towards them from many members of the BM community. And I'm not even saying that people don't have a right to their hostility! I have many friends who HAVE been pulled over for some ridiculous reason in the default world and had their cars or person "illegally" searched, so no, I don't think that only happens at BM. In fact, it is pretty much known around here that if you are driving on I-80 with a non Nevada or California license plate that you will get pulled over for going just a few miles over the speed limit (or for some other tiny infraction) and searched because they think you are transporting weed from CA to the east coast or wherever.

Also, I never meant to imply that no one had illegal or awful experiences with BLM out there this year, just that I didn't!

With all that being said, I did comment in my first post that I didn't think the cops minded chatting it up with beautiful topless women so that may make up for any downside of working BM ;)
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby PlayaPatrol » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 am

you were wearing all black battle dress/police uniform? huh? why?

maladroit wrote:I see a lot of paranoia about law enforcement and a lot of complacence; like so many things in life, the appropriate attitude probably lies somewhere in between.

Edit: One night I tried to dress "survival" and ended up looking more SWAT tactical. It was a different world, hostility and fear oozed from nearly everyone who wasn't pointedly ignoring me. Several confrontations and muttered comments since I was obviously having a good time and apparently cops are supposed to be miserable and not act like real people. Usually I can play off things like that as other people's problem, and share a good laugh with those who make it inside the joke. But I lasted an hour or so before heading back to camp to change.
PlayaPatrol

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 am

Gee, why does anyone wear any costume out there?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:36 am

Edit: One night I tried to dress "survival" and ended up looking more SWAT tactical. It was a different world, hostility and fear oozed from nearly everyone who wasn't pointedly ignoring me.

What? No high-fives? Why were all those other people (sounds like the bulk) so "paranoid" and "hostile"? Seriously, why? Those people.....

Yeah, sometimes the prey isn't all that cool about hanging out with the predator.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 am

Now I'm tempted to wear my flak jacket at greeter's.
gyre

Postby VultureChow » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:15 am

gyre wrote:Now I'm tempted to wear my flak jacket at greeter's.

In addition to curmudgeon greeter station, we could turn one of the little shelter thingies into a sandbag bunker.

Run up to the car like you're dodging a mortar attack in WWI.

"Good God, men! What are you doing in that vehicle? You're sitting ducks. Get down into the dust before jerry puts one through your thick skull!"
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:26 am

VultureChow wrote:

In addition to curmudgeon greeter station, we could turn one of the little shelter thingies into a sandbag bunker.

"Good God, men! What are you doing in that vehicle? You're sitting ducks. Get down into the dust before jerry puts one through your thick skull!"

Brilliant!

I would join your army. You could get virgins in & out--and even a little dusty--in about 2 minutes. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby bartholomew » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Oh, dammit! This is starting to sound good... I think we may have to set this up next year. I have a couple of camouflage chill vests that look very like body armor, a couple of SWAT black riot helmets and such. We could put together a greeter station sure to cause flashbacks!

VultureChow wrote:

bartholomew

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, to be specific, Vulturechow and I are brainstorming about dressing like 100-year-old Army boys, pew! pew! pew! Driver, here's a photo of my girl back home, isn't she swell? (showing a pic of someone's cat in a dress), tossing the W/W/W into someone's car like a grenade and leaping into a trench . . .

Body armor is modern, but (if you don't want to look antique) you could have your own shift, provided you can't be mistaken for a real officer. Helmets, armor and boots, no other clothes? :)

Savannah

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Awesome, stuff sandbags with something fluffy and a 2x4 to keep it from blowing away, make a bunker wall (because a trench would be difficult).
maladroit

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm

maladroit wrote:Awesome, stuff sandbags with something fluffy and a 2x4 to keep it from blowing away, make a bunker wall (because a trench would be difficult).

It's true. Per the Guide, my trench is not allowed to be more than 6 inches in diameter . . .

We really are sitting ducks out there!

Savannah

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:14 pm

If you can string some non-poky barbed wire over a crawl obstacle, hand virgins a helmet and carbine, and make them elbow-crawl through the dust under the barbed wire to reach and ring the bell...now you've really got something. Boombox with some battlefield soundscapes.
maladroit

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm

I was waiting for someone to come up with concertina wire..
unjonharley

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm

[media]
maladroit

Postby fresh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:43 pm

delle wrote:I was somewhat taken aback by the carding this year. I guess I assumed that droops and wrinkles counted for something out there... but 100% card policy really does mean 100% I guess, and I had to respect their right to adhere to it.

No champagne snowcone for this gal.

Man talk about paranoia!!! It reminds me of my local supermarket that ID's me for smokes EVERY SINGLE TIME I go in there to buy some.

On another note, I was able to get through the Spanky's bouncers without ID. The gray hairs in my goatee was sufficient enough for them.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby VultureChow » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 pm

maladroit wrote:If you can string some non-poky barbed wire over a crawl obstacle, hand virgins a helmet and carbine, and make them elbow-crawl through the dust under the barbed wire to reach and ring the bell...now you've really got something. Boombox with some battlefield soundscapes.

We need the right mix of serious and ridiculouus for this. I've got some rainbow bunny tails yarn that would make awesome barbed wire:

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm

fresh wrote:
delle wrote:I was somewhat taken aback by the carding this year. I guess I assumed that droops and wrinkles counted for something out there... but 100% card policy really does mean 100% I guess, and I had to respect their right to adhere to it.

Man talk about paranoia!!! It reminds me of my local supermarket that ID's me for smokes EVERY SINGLE TIME I go in there to buy some.

They must be guarding against all the undercovers with progeria.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Harmless.jpg
Harmless.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Pretty sure fake barbed wire is available from businesses who deal in movie props.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby BBadger » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Elliot wrote:Pretty sure fake barbed wire is available from businesses who deal in movie props.

Probably costs more than the real thing too.

BBadger

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 pm

It's been a few years since I saw it, but now that you mention it... Yeah, it was not cheap.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man