Work in Progress 2013

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress 2013

Postby Bless » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Elorrum wrote:get you some wheels like these, fishy. then frumify them. Awesome MDF. straight up awesome!

[media]
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:56 am

Awesome stuff with the frankencamper pics, Yggy! Uh-oh's right, thankfully it all managed to hold for ya. Are you going to have the water cannon all charged up for the event again? I can't remember if you ended up getting to play with that and put it to use at all....
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am

hah yeah Trilo. The canon is always "charged" I carry 400 or so gallons of water out there.........about 40 seconds at full power (200 psi).
I may just surprise my pals at gate this year...........hahaahhaaa
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:31 am

Bump (so I can find it in a little while)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 am

yay!! FJ is inventing and building!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm

New playapod, perhaps???

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:38 pm

I was going to turn it into a guessing game, but now you have already won! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Hooray for projects!

Pandorra and I are working on some furniture designs for our space. Now that a big project she's been working on has wrapped up, she put a bit of time into tweaking and revising the designs, and making a 3D model. A big multi-purpose countertop/table that would be able to accommodate anything from rolls of fabric and other textile projects to an extension of our kitchen/cooking area (behind the stick figure is where our kitchen's at), to a comfy social gathering space. Then off to the side we'd dial up a custom elongated curved desk that would give her plenty of room for her iMac as well as the Juki.

pani work area 1.jpg
artspace-1

Underneath the big table we'll have space for storing fabric rolls as well as some bins.

pani work area 6.jpg
artspace-6
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Started with this $200 19' boat trailer.

Now it looks like this...

The square frame at the front will be the snub nose of the trailer.

From there it will flare out to 6'3" wide by 6'3" tall to the living space.

Mainly to get my gas milage back, but with big hatches on the sides it will be like a storage shed for the spare tire, battery bank, 10 gal ice water cooler, dry ice cooler, or whatever.

It will not be accessable from the living space.

More later. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 pm

are you making slide outs, FJ?

nice table Trilo!! I love multipurpose stuff.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Figjam, I'm working on a new design from one of yours: the PACU, Portable Auxiliary Cooling Unit. Swamp cooler, 12v solar/battery, portable and designed to feed into a tent or mount to the cab of MV/work rig/van/trailer. Pics soon...
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 am

ygmir wrote:are you making slide outs, FJ?

nice table Trilo!! I love multipurpose stuff.

For the shade....yes.

The tarp will have to be 10' longer. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 am

All the welding is done!

Ready for lighting and sheeting. 8)

On a side note, if you split the crotch out of your pants and a piece of slag finds its way in there, don't try to fix the problem by stapleing the seam closed unless you would like short sharp surprise later in the day!!! :shock:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:31 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
On a side note, if you split the crotch out of your pants and a piece of slag finds its way in there, don't try to fix the problem by stapleing the seam closed unless you would like short sharp surprise later in the day!!! :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Figgy!!!

Hope you're okay. Your new playapod is shaping up!!! 8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Patsh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:32 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
...On a side note, if you split the crotch out of your pants and a piece of slag finds its way in there, don't try to fix the problem by stapling the seam closed unless you would like short sharp surprise later in the day!!! :shock:

Are you sure that wasn't the staple?
:wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Egg salad!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:06 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Egg salad!

*blows wine out nose*

I've been trying real hard all day not to say anything about how to avoid spitting pants while working on stuff.

So I'll just say that I'm sitting here designing a bicycle-powered "Rube Goldberg" device that delivers a refreshing spray of water onto the rider. The Mist-O-Matic. We need something like that at the front of the bicycle repair camp. So maybe I'll have something to show here over the winter. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tamarakay » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 am

Hey trilo I am coveting the table. How tall are you making it? One of my problems with my table is its just too short. That lower back starts screaming after cutting out a simple skirt.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Martiansky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:05 am

Tamarakay,
My mom and I have tables in our sewing/crafting room and the solution for the cutting table was to put those bed risers under each leg. It makes the table a better height for layout and cutting. The risers are under $8 normally and if they arent the right height for you Ive also seen people use PVC (schedule 40 for strength) pipe in a size that will slide over the table leg (if you have the folding leg type table so that the pvc doesnt slide all the way up the table leg) you can cut the pvc to the right length to suit your needs.

Save the back and CRAFT ON!! :D
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:20 am

@tamarakay, the island table will be a 36 inch height, which I think is typical height for kitchen counters. It's the same height we've got on a big workbench that we've already got in the space. This lets us not only use standard bar stools, but helps save on back and leg fatigue.

Over the weekend we had a great 'breakfast meeting' at Rocco's (local dive of awesomeness), and had fun tossing around ideas and design considerations at each other. She showed me her latest set of 3D renders, but once the food arrived it was all about the eggs benedict...

Then we hit up one of my favorite area lumber yards. Not the cheapest place in town, but they have a great selection of hardwoods and exotic stuff. Some great reclaimed barn wood too, though that wasn't on the menu for our projects. At breakfast, Pandorra had said that she didn't care if the desk and the artspace island were made from matching wood, in fact the side desk was more of a cast-off idea, to use whatever would get the job done simply, versus putting a lot of time and energy into getting the island just right.

So she spent some time ogling and feeling the wood, and getting a sense of what might fit, versus the cost, etc. That would give her things to think about, both for future design revisions as well as the painting/coating once it's built. I think we've settled on this stuff...

It's called baltic birch. It's a little spendy, but incredibly strong and really beautiful. It's the same kind of wood used for the connectors on Otic Oasis (2011/2012), the Pistil inside last year's man pavilion, and the Temple of Whollyness from this year's burn. Plans have been revised a couple times since then, and I imagine we'll revise them another couple times before it gets built. I'd have liked to have started cutting and building asap, but we're waiting until after we get back into town (going away this weekend).

While we were at the lumber yard I picked up a router bit I wanted to get for the project, so I can round the corners a bit on the countertop for the island (it'll come in handy on other projects, too). Then we scored bonus points, as they had a piece of finished maple that would work out nicely for the side desk. We paired that up with some hardware from the container store, and voila... side desk!

They didn't have all the drawer baskets she wanted in stock, so we'll circle back and pick those up once they came in. And yeah, that lamp shade is a little torn up, our recently departed cat discovered that he could tear holes in it with his giant mutant paws one day, and we just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

I think that when all is said and done on the island, I'd get a rubber mat and carpet runner under the 3 sides that we'd be working around, as that would make things a lot easier on the feet, legs, and back when we're standing. Anyhow, that's our progress on the project for now.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby maryanimal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Trilo, the holes in the lampshade give it character. Plus it's a sweet reminder of your furry baby!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 am

The upside of our trip to LA being so short was that it cost less. Which in turn means we can get moving on building the artspace island a little sooner. Yesterday I swung over to our storage space and grabbed the leftover clearcoat from the Ziggurat, as well as a dropcloth, the router, and the sawhorses. Then we hit up our friendly neighborhood big box hardware joint and grabbed a bunch of the materials we'll need.

I wanted to use 'connector red' from the Ziggurat for the legs, but Pandorra preferred black. We couldn't remember how much we had at home, or whether it was in the loft or buried deep in storage (I still have to go back through and re-organize it post-burn), so we got another gallon (it'll get used). She also opted to upgrade from using basic 4x4's to some fancier posts - the lumber's better quality and pre-finished (which will save some time). Tomorrow or Friday I'll head over to the lumber yard to get the baltic birch plywood for the top and shelves, then head on over to my workshop joint to cut and make all my parts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am

Go Trilo!!!

looking forward to watching this progress.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 am

Sold a cactus and bought some lumber. (side note: WD-40 is great for getting wood sap off of hands.)

Sides are up, so I can install the deck tomorrow. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Oldguy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm

That picture looks like a van I used to make bank runs in, while an was an Army MP at Ft.Bragg. Open bottom with safe welded to frame. We could drop and roll out with our shotguns.
parking lot camouflage.

P.S. At Ft.Ord troops were moved in cattle cars not busses.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Nice progress, and good to know about the WD-40 Figgy...

I've been feeling under the weather for the last few days. I'm still sick now, but was able to get myself up and moving this morning. I got to the lumber yard and got the baltic birch I wanted to use, then headed on over to my local workshop place to start making parts. I used the table saw, chop saw, and band saw to cut the boards, and the panel saw to cut the shelves.

And that's today's progress. This weekend my girlfriend will round the corners on the countertop and skinny shelves for the fabric rolls, and then I'll router and sand everything that needs to be routered and sanded. Then painting and coating all the parts, as well as drilling and screwing it all together. Fun stuff!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:20 pm

More progress on the artspace island! Pandorra rounded the corners on the shelves...

Then I sanded the corners and used the router on the shelves to round the edges.

This shot shows the corners and top/bottom edges post-router...

A light sanding between coats...

Meanwhile, the kitten had built a fort out of the empty box from the belt sander. Here she is with her current favorite toy, a white plastic spoon...

And here she is, trying to prove that she could probably squeeze through the port hole if she wanted to...

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:44 pm

KITTEN. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 am

Slowed progress do to wind, but I got the inside framing done and part of the roof on.

Hard to wrestle plywood single handed with the breeze blowin. :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Believe me, I can sympathize with ya there. Lugging and loading sheets of plywood gets a bit tricky in SF in the late afternoon on days when the fog comes in. Tricky as the job may be, it looks like you managed to get 'er done. Nice work!

Meanwhile, I finally slid into home today with the artspace island project. All the parts had been given either a couple coats of black or 3 coats of clear-coat and had the chance to dry overnight. This morning I started putting the pieces together.

We had originally opted to go with smaller steel brackets for the shelves that'll hold the fabric rolls, but I made a last-minute substitution and went for heavier duty brackets. It's completely overkill for fabric rolls, but this way if we end up using the shelves for something else I don't have to worry about whether the shelf will support the weight or not.

A little bit more assembly work, and it's done!

Well, very nearly done. Pandorra's going to put a few more coats of the clear-coat on the shelf tops and edges. My part's done though. I'm happy with how it came out, especially since I just kind of eyeballed it from the rendered pics she'd sent me and the conversations we had. It's going to be nice to have a workbench big enough to handle fabric rolls, and still get barstools under the lip. Great for projects, cooking, or being social.
trilobyte
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion