Burning Man Education For Newbies

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Burning Man Education For Newbies

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

This is too good not to share.

Joseph Pred wrote:Innuendo made an edumacational video for Flipside which was totally brilliant (learn about pickle backs!). Since most of it's about the ten principles, with a little encouragement, he made a Burning Man edit for us to share.

At long last, here you go. Spread the word!

Thanks to Innuendo for making this, and Pred for passing along the info. Share with your friends and campmates!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burning Man Education For Newbies

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:06 am

:lol: They used one of my pictures from the '07 Burn for the edit. The guy emerging from the whiteout in the section on playa dust around the 8:20 mark.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:07 am

The vid is awesome though. Should be mandatory viewing.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 am

bring some hamdingers ..they are essential on the playa and act as a form of currency in some circles
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Schtev » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

Today I learned, port-a-potties are not a place to align your chakras.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby VCO » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Love it.
VCO

Postby DustHand » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Awesome. Plain old awesome.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Both educational AND hilarious!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Tvh13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 am

Good show!
Tvh13

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:55 am

Watching this with less than 24 hours to go before I leave is helpful. I saw it as a visual checklist, and I met each point...except radical self reliance, and just for one small thing. We don't have the room/baggage weight allowance for a sledgehammer. That's the only thing missing from our entire list. Is that bad? :oops:
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 pm

There has to be a way to embed this so that it is required viewing before entering the ticket queue. (I can't wait for the queue!!!) :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby socks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Bacon is the coin of the realm
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby robbidobbs » Wed May 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Ok that's cool.
Porta-potties are discussed at the end. That's good.
Thank you.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby FireDiva » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Your local Regional Contact now has the power point for Newbie Orientation, so contact them. It is a great slide show.
FireDiva

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:44 am

FWIW, the Barbie Death Village Newbie Primer is due to go out to those who are newbies, or at least newbies to BDC&WB, on Monday. There is a lot of useful information in there. If anyone who isn't affiliated with our camp would like to see it, PM me your email addy and I'll send it along on Monday.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby rosieredcheeks54 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Great Video! I will forever retain that knowledge! :D
rosieredcheeks54

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 am

0:50
:D
Malcolm

Postby NikkiG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 am

2013 was my first burn and I have to say that there's a few things that you can't go without
1.Babywipes, a brand new cheap washcloth for each bath, a bucket (big ice cream bucket), and alcohol wipes, Please take 2 baths a day :wink: Use the baby wipes to get the first layer of dirt off then wash your body with a real washcloth and soap in a small bucket. Fill the bucket with 1/4" of water, and lather your wash rag clean yourself and wring out your rag in the bucket. When the water turns grey, dump it into a grey water bottle or your grey water evap pond. Fill the bucket some more and repeat till clean. When dry, apply the alcohol wipes to your pits to keep them smelling fresh, then apply deodorant. Clean your bucket with a baby wipe, and keep for later use. I found many uses for that bucket! :wink: People were amazed at how clean I was all week. :D BTW, baby wipes can be used for a variety of things especially to clean off the porta potty seat. Don't forget to bring a little ziplock trash baggy!

2. Misting bottle. You can use it to wash, or cool you off. Make sure to get one with a fine mist. You can add essential peppermint oil or a small amount peppermint castile soap to it to cool off.

3 Flip flops for your tent, long thick wool socks for your feet, and tall comfy shoes. Preferably boots that slip on or zip. Jeeze, my feet were swollen and needed to breathe. It was a pleasure to wear flip flops, so I could have them out and about. The playa makes your body swell.... I haven't figured out why yet. Anyway, the wool socks protect your feet from playa foot, and they usually don't stink after 3 days of use. If you get the right pair, they are comfy as all get out. The comfy shoes are needed for obvious reasons, you'll be walking and standing a lot. Shoe laces get caked with playa dust and are a nuisance to handle especially when you have to urinate. You need something that you can quickly put on and GO!

4. Plenty of BRIGHT blinking lights. Make sure they cover the front and back of you late at night. While riding my bike in the deep playa on Monday, my favorite Glowsitck/flashlight/whistle combo fell off and all of my lights started to go dim (Headlamp, elwire you name it) Over the course 20 min, I became a dark wad in the deep playa. That was my scariest moment during the burn. Other people with bikes couldn't see me, neither could the art cars. Thoughts of being ran over flooded my mind. DON'T BECOME A DARK WAD. THE PLAYA IS VERY DARK AND EXPANSIVE. YOU COULD GET LOST OR HIT. make sure you bring alternate sources of light as well as back up batteries.

5.Goggles, a bandana, and water. Water for the obvious reasons, its hot as heck out there. You'll end up drinking 2 bottles easily while riding your bike Make sure you bring 3-4 water containers 2 should have a wide mouth. Why so many containers? well, 1 for urine or grey water....Wide mouth! 2 for drinking and 1 as a back up for drinking in case you lose one (it can be a used disposable water bottle). I had to find all of that out the hard way, take it from me ,get 4! I was forced to urinate in my tent the first day because I didn't know where the porta potty was and I couldn't hold it :( During day 3, I endured a white out in the deep playa. Not fun at all. For some reason my glasses kept out most of the dust, but you should really use goggles. my eyes were burning and aching all week (eye allergy or astringent drops preferably one with a lubricant added). as for the bandana, i didn't need it much, but when the white out happens its essential to your survival never leave out with out the essentials water,goggles and a bandana!

6. 12 inch military stakes, A good sledge hammer, guyline lights, and some tennis balls. Dang those stakes were awesome, but they won't come out without the back of a hammer and some water. Sure that cute plastic camp hammer might work after 20 swings, but a good 3 pound sledge hammer does it in 5 hits. Tennis balls can be used to cover the stakes. make x cuts in them and slip it on. and glow sticks and illuminate your lines with the help of zip fasteners or string.

7.Comfortable clothes. I bought plenty of outfits and I only wore my workout digs. It was hot and dusty and all my mind could think about was staying cool and being comfortable!

8. A positive attitude and an open mind. No one likes a grumpy cat, and no one appreciates being prejudged. Be open minded to whats going on, and try to see the beauty in all of it. Heck, some the things that are going on are quite offensive, but deep down you know that crap is funny...lol

9 A mirror, chapstick, Lotion (I used Cocoa butter), sunblock, and some good hair cream or conditioner. I didn't know what I looked like the whole burn because I forgot to bring a mirror..duh! Chapstick for the dry lips....you'll need it. Intensive lotion and sunblock for your ashy parts and tender spots....rub it all over. Hair creme......mmmm. My hair got so brittle and tangled that I was forced to wrap it up. My scalp was burning like crazy too, I think it was from the playa dust. Anyway, with a spray bottle of water, I moistened my hair, and untangled the knots. Then I applied hair creme and braided it. I finished the look with a nice cotton scarf on my head, and kept it like that for the entire burn. I heard of camps that do hair.... I need to check them out next burn. If you must wear a wig, get a short one because the wind blows like crazy and its hot!

10 Ear plugs for loud music/ loud sex...lol, powdered gatorade, salted crackers, trail mix, oatmeal and cream, tea bags, a pop up bowl, premade meals/soup that you don't mind eating cold and a plastic spork.

11. Bike lock, small lock for valuable goods in your tent.....Heck, lock your tent if you're that paranoid. We had a thief roll through one night, and he tried to steal a bike and made off with my camp mates camel back with 500 dollars worth of goods inside. For the most part, 99% of the people don't steal nor do they enter your tent uninvited, but there are some weirdos out there. Its up to you to be proactive against theft. If you like and cherish it, lock it up!

12 Don't do drugs or have sex in public areas or group shade. If that's what you like to do, do it in the privacy of your own tent. Its illegal, and you can get ticketed or even expelled!

13. Stuff you need to do. Go on an Artery tour, ride an art car, get an outfit at Kostume Kult or some similar camp and walk the runway, go to Tedx, get your skate on at the roller rink, get your bump on with a pedal bumper car, eat a grilled cheese sandwich at Mooncheese, catch a late night show at Crossroads, Make a medallion at the Dragon Smelter(center camp), grab some pancakes in the early morn, eat a PB&J at a specialty camp, make some buttons, make some pasties, ride your bike out to the deep playa solo and touch the fence, go see Robot Heart, ride the duck at duck pond, go to the districkt, go to Fandango and meet that annoying guy with the bullhorn and turn down his music j/k, swing like a monkey at swing camp, go to the Bureau of misinformation get misinformed, speak to God in the phone booth, visit the temple, visit the man, visit center camp, meet random people and chill out at their camps and enjoy their shade, eat their food, enjoy their liquor or at the very least their ice...lol (don't be a sparkle pony), gift something to someone and make their day, play at Charcade, wear all white during BRC's all white night Who knew!, wear a tutu, but not on Tutu Tuesday because you'll be a sheeple JK... wear the tutu, but make sure you wear it on other days, go to the regional burn, Hug a shirtcocker on shirtcocker Friday and let him sit on your chair...lol, run the 5k or the ultra marathon, take a steam bath, or go to one of those bathing camps with Foam mmmmm!
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby myfaverach » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:55 am

So what's a hamdinger - and are picklebacks for real? :shock: If so, can they still be called a pickleback with other alcohol? :)
myfaverach

Burning Since: 2014

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 am

NikkiG wrote:
3 Flip flops for your tent, long thick wool socks for your feet, and tall comfy shoes. Preferably boots that slip on or zip. Jeeze, my feet were swollen and needed to breathe. It was a pleasure to wear flip flops, so I could have them out and about. The playa makes your body swell.... I haven't figured out why yet. Anyway, the wool socks protect your feet from playa foot, and they usually don't stink after 3 days of use. If you get the right pair, they are comfy as all get out. The comfy shoes are needed for obvious reasons, you'll be walking and standing a lot. Shoe laces get caked with playa dust and are a nuisance to handle especially when you have to urinate. You need something that you can quickly put on and GO!

Mild swelling of the hands and/or feet is a sign of dehydration. Your body retains water trying to offset the loss of fluids. Drink more electrolytes is one way to help that.

I don't wear my rings on the playa because my hands swell. Same thing.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby myfaverach » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am

Never mind my earlier questions. Got it!
myfaverach

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm

That thing you gloss over about drink water is true. Year 6 and I know better but did not pay attention and down I went like a rock. Sneaks up on you like a Snipe during new moon. When in doubt drink a water before next tasty beverage. I will from now on. Swear to "BOB"
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Don't just drink water - you can do that & still go down. You need to add electrolytes as well - I drink 16-32oz of coconut water a day (generally 1 16oz can in both the morning & the evening), plus eat a lot of pickles & salty snacks. You can use sports drinks (with lots of added sugars), pedialyte, various sports powders... just add them!

NikkiG wrote:Please take 2 baths a day :wink:

Good lord, ain't nobody got time for that! Feel free to wash as much as you need, personally I'm one with the dust. :lol:
I wash face, hands, pits & bits - all the rest can wait until I hit the hotel in Reno. I don't see a need to fight being dirty when I'm living in the middle of dirt - there's playa on the ground, in the air, in my food, my drinks, my clothes... it just doesn't bug me. This is definitely an area of "your mileage may vary" - I think about 1/3 of our camp is part of the shower brigade, the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby myfaverach » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Eric wrote:Don't just drink water - you can do that & still go down. You need to add electrolytes as well - I drink 16-32oz of coconut water...

Good lord, ain't nobody got time for that!

Coconut water - added to list, check. Thanks! And HA! :lol:
myfaverach

Postby Schtev » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:53 am

Personally I went through a couple of packs of ester-c/emergen-c/whatever a day with my water, as well as eating jerky. Worked like a charm for me.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Oldguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm

During camp take-down on Sunday , I was unable to pull up tent rebar stakes. All at once the heat and dehydration hit me, and I sat down right where I was and started drinking water. I got up after a while and made it over to my water barrel. I desperately told my neighbor I thought I was dieing. He told me to stop loading my trailer and sit down. I was confused, but I remembered to gulp water. Eventually, I started to sweat and even got a little chilled. My neighbor pulled up my tent stakes. I stumbled over to the tent and started rolling up the tent without folding it. Stubbornness can get you killed in the desert, I was trying to beat the rain no matter what, and failed. Anyone can become confused and make bad decisions. Keep water with you and drink it! I was lucky I had someone near to call out for :coffee: help. You really can die out there.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 pm

That's rough. Thank you for giving us an illustrated reminder of how easy it is to get caught up when you're tired and breaking down camp.

*hugs*
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Schtev » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Protip: Rebar comes up super easy if you use a pair of vice grips and twist the rebar a few times first.

Oldguy wrote:During camp take-down on Sunday , I was unable to pull up tent rebar stakes.
Schtev

Postby NikkiG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Lets add that to the list...... A friend to watch your back! Friends are a great thing to have on the playa. Don't burn your bridges, cause you might block your blessings! :wink:

Anyway, I would like to thank all of you for trying to warn me about timing. We had a convo a couple of months ago about when I should leave the event. After attending the event, I can truly say you were right. Give yourself plenty of time to make it to your plane (~12 hrs or get there the night before) And never ever take the last flight out to make it to a cruise.......you might just miss your Ship! I got there 3 hours early, but they cancelled my flight. :cry: I was forced to pay for another one at the last minute, through another airline company , so I could make it to Miami on time. I'm still disputing the charges....sigh.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:08 pm

myfaverach wrote:So what's a hamdinger - and are picklebacks for real? :shock: If so, can they still be called a pickleback with other alcohol? :)

Yes picklebacks are real, and REAL GOOD if you change them to decent quality tequila chased with sweet-pickle juice.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks