Jellyfish Umbrella

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Jellyfish Umbrella

Postby Pmarszal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 am

Good morning Burners,

Wasn’t this year burn fun? I had such an amazing time with my girlfriend whose was a first time burner this year. We saw the amazing JELLYFISH poles everyone was carrying at night. I noticed there are places that sell each one for $185. My girlfriend and I want 2 so we are looking to build our own with no clue where to start. Has anyone built one? We have no clue how to even start but really want some for next years burn.

:coffee: :shock:
Pmarszal

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Panda Camp

Re: Jellyfish Umbrella

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:04 am

Welcome to eplaya. Good to hear you had a good burn. Also, great to hear you'd rather make for yourself than buy! I remember seeing the plans for how to build a jelly last year, but my googling keeps turning up that same pages where they're asking so much money for pre-fab, which is not how I remember that group at all!

I did find an article saying that the people who came up with the jellyfish bloom idea are now doing it as a full-time job, so maybe they took down the instructions to avoid competition?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Pmarszal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 am

BoyScoutGirl - I figured its probably not very hard to make these jellyfish but instructions would be nice and its a bummer that it cannot be found on the internet anymore :(

Hopefully someone can turn up those old instructions for it!

Thanks for the quick reply BoyScoutGirl! Anyone else have any ideas or something that can help my situation :)

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Welcome to eplaya. Good to hear you had a good burn. Also, great to hear you'd rather make for yourself than buy! I remember seeing the plans for how to build a jelly last year, but my googling keeps turning up that same pages where they're asking so much money for pre-fab, which is not how I remember that group at all!

I did find an article saying that the people who came up with the jellyfish bloom idea are now doing it as a full-time job, so maybe they took down the instructions to avoid competition?
Pmarszal

Postby danibel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:29 pm

I spent a little time poking on various "snapshots" on the way back machine, but I didn't turn up any plans. You can poke around yourself here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201106251704 ... bloom.org/

I am sure they took down all the instructions after or before the kick starter. My friend bought one. I haven't seen it yet but she plans on bringing it to the OCF next year.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Pmarszal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Danibel - Thank you for looking around! I appriciate all your help. All the posts have gave me an idea how it can be done.... and will use all you guys tips and sources if it comes down to it....

but everybody knows that DIY instructions go a long way.. :) Thanks for eveybodys time and am still waiting on that one person who has done it or has the plans :P

danibel wrote:I spent a little time poking on various "snapshots" on the way back machine, but I didn't turn up any plans. You can poke around yourself here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201106251704 ... bloom.org/

I am sure they took down all the instructions after or before the kick starter. My friend bought one. I haven't seen it yet but she plans on bringing it to the OCF next year.
Pmarszal

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Nudging this over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general Q&A questions. The jellyfish on the playa were an awesome piece of art from a couple years ago, but the creators went commercial and started selling the things via kickstarter in the runup to this year's burn. You may want to go digging around kickstarter or other parts of the internet for information, I'm not sure what the status is of their commercial operation.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks