Food/Drink: What worked - what didnt

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: What worked - what didnt

Postby jasonryan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:06 am

TT120 wrote:3 cooler setup worked very well. 75 pounds of dry ice in a 150qt marine cooler kept water ice and steaks frozen for several days. I had ice for the other 2 coolers through Thursday.

When did you buy the dry ice? Ie. how many days did you get out of the 75 pounds? I've read that it sublimates at 10lbs/day, but it sounds like you got 4-5 days? 30lbs lasted about 3 days for me. Next year I want to make it last as long as possible.

-Jason
jasonryan

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Overflow

Postby Theraplst » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:17 am

Sic Pup wrote: I had figured 5 for the week and had already comitted to dropping off 2 to a burner coming in on the bus so I ended up buying 4 packages (20 gals). I left 3 in the Hotel Rug camp and ended up with an excess of 1 and a half containers (even with washing my hair daily) on Sunday.

Thank you very much for that btw! I wanted to come see you on playa but of course forgot where you camped. Couldn't remember if you said where anyways. All the water got put to good use at hotel rug!
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 am

I started with 70 pounds of dry ice on saturday for the trip to the playa.

It was gone by the following saturday, but the effect lasted till monday when I took out the strawberries for the shortcake and they were still a little icey. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby delle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:15 am

Dammit!!! I knew I'd spaced something important!!!

THE SHORTCAKE!!!! :roll:
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Patsh » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:04 am

I scored a dose of that strawberry shortcake, and, what a welcome treat it was!!
Thanks again, FIGJAM!! YUM!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby TomServo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 pm

maladroit wrote:
TomServo wrote:best playa bike Ive ever had.

I'd agree, and add that they aren't much good for anything else :)

not true. are great in muddy fields and flooded streets. I will be changing the rear sprocket, however, for next year.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby tatonka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:25 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I started with 70 pounds of dry ice on saturday for the trip to the playa.

It was gone by the following saturday, but the effect lasted till monday when I took out the strawberries for the shortcake and they were still a little icey. 8)

we bought 4 bricks for a cooler that had 1 gal ice jugs in them , we were going to switch them to the other 7 day cooler when its ice was low , by wed the dry ice was gone but the 1 gal ice jugs was still good.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby TT120 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm

jasonryan wrote:
TT120 wrote:3 cooler setup worked very well. 75 pounds of dry ice in a 150qt marine cooler kept water ice and steaks frozen for several days. I had ice for the other 2 coolers through Thursday.

When did you buy the dry ice? Ie. how many days did you get out of the 75 pounds? I've read that it sublimates at 10lbs/day, but it sounds like you got 4-5 days? 30lbs lasted about 3 days for me. Next year I want to make it last as long as possible.

-Jason

I got about 4 days out of the dry ice. Each 10 pound slab was wrapped in several layers of paper which helped insulate it.

I bought 75 lbs of dry ice on Saturday and still had little pieces left on Tuesday morning. By Wednesday morning the dry ice was gone but the water ice and steaks were still frozen solid. Thursday morning revealed the steaks had almost thawed and the water ice had just started to melt but still had frozen 2 liter bottles of water on the bottom.

I only opened that ice chest once a day in the mornings when it was cooler. Grab a couple bags of ice for the other 2 coolers and close it right up. I could have made it the full 8 days with what I had but standing in the ice line is it's own unique experience so I did buy ice once.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Soylent Queen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am

Hello, Food Burners, from a recovering Virgin! Nice to meet you! Lovely thread! Great tips.

Lots of food that a low-carber can't eat, but plenty of ideas for de-carbohydratification, as well.

OK. So. What worked from the perspective of a Virgin Burner, Type 1 diabetic, very low-carb eater:

1. heavy cream in shelf-stable boxes, Trader Joe's. Was sumptuous poured on top of fresh strawberries.
2. Eggs. I wound up cooking a lot of eggs scrambled with vegetables, most notably sauteed onions and jars of roasted red peppers, along with various cheeses. I had ghee, but I wound up instead using that delicious Irish butter—Kendricks, is it?—after learning how it would be easy to keep things chilled.
3. Evaporated heavy cream. This stuff's the bomb. Cremora was plentiful at camp, but that mouth-dust is little more than corn syrup. Bleh! Bleh! I put out a huge jar of dried heavy cream at camp, assuming that everybody would be, like, "Hello, YEA! Real food!" Sadly, I was instead mystified to see people using can after can of dehydrated corn syrup or whatever that Cremora coffee lightener stuff is, rather than real cream. I found one cream-loving comrade, explained to her where it was and what it was, and was glad that she, at least, started glomming onto it. In the future, I'll try to do more education to ensure that people know there's an option.
4. Peanuts.
5. Macadamia nuts.
6. Sun tea: peppermint.

What I didn't use:
1. dehydrated eggs
2. dehydrated cheddar cheese
3. ghee

All that "doesn't need refrigeration" stuff seemed like a good idea before I left, but I soon realized that icing things wouldn't be an issue, due in great part to the incredible gifting of ice-taxi service at our camp, Poly Paradise. Bless you, ice taxi people!

At this point, I have lots of dried food. I'm going to combine all my dried food—cheddar, eggs, cream—and experiment with making crustless quiches or some such.

Future burns:
1. I'm hoping to get to know like-minded people who want to cook low-carb. It was great to have meals cooked by fellow campers, and to cook for them on our day, of course, but honestly, I couldn't eat most of what they cooked. Too many carbs. I'd love to be in a camp where many of the meals are low-carb, and I'd like to set up some gifting for that type of food, as well. Fresh strawberries with heavy cream, anyone?
2. Going to research the feasibility of gifting vinegar foot baths. I think it would be a welcome addition to similar gifting, such as the Human Carcass Wash at Poly Paradise, or the adjacent Hieney Hygiene Station.
Soylent Queen

Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Re: Food/Drink: What worked - what didnt

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

What worked? Bought four (very cheap very thin) one gallon containers.. Froze then and had bock ice in the food cooler.. When the ice was gone The water was poured into the Iglo drink dispenser. Good clean usable water and no soaked food...

The containers were found at WalMart where food canisters are displayed.. There are also two gallon suitcase style water dispensers..

Not to waste.... I refilled the one gallon containers (adding two more) and placed them in the cooler.. Adding six gallon to the emergency water supply.. I have a small vintage cooler(picnic size) that will hold two of the two gallon dispensers.. So am going to add these and they can go to Burning Man too.
unjonharley

Postby asr9754 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:49 am

Worked: mini cans of tuna and chicken salad w/ crackers
Apples w/ Nutella
Carrots and snap peas
Hard boiled eggs
Leftover pizza slices in a tupperware box (not a ziplock) in cooler. Saved my life a few nights!
Clif bars
Ensure drinks
VIA instant coffee from that big seattle coffee chain. Works for hot or iced coffee.
Thai Iced Tea-- Store-bought Thai tea bags, brewed a bunch at home then put in a milk jug and chilled. Drank on playa over ice w/ coffee creamer and sugar. AWESOME gift in the desert!

Didn't
Poptarts pouch in my back pocket--crumbled into dust by the time I remembered to eat them
Brocolli--smells horrible after a few days in the heat
Raw eggs-broken in cooler is a graywater disaster
Ziplock bags in a cooler--does not keep water out of food even when sealed tightly
Bagels, got moldy very quick ?
asr9754

Postby TT120 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Cans of ravioli were excellent late night comfort food. Maybe it was the Playa dust but they tasted better than I remember.

A Jetboil with the french press attachment made the best 2 cups of coffee ever and it only takes about 2 minutes to almost boil the water.

Kippered snacks and Ritz crackers were just awesome anytime.

Home made pickles from Maryanimals garden were the BOMB! (Mary, I need more!)

W6BJD
TT120

Postby maladroit » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Single serving instant coffee and one or two flavored Horizon milks (vanilla or chocolate are best, obviously) and some ice. I earned so many points with this...my girlfriend would treat me like some kind of magician when I'd disappear into the hexayurt and emerge with one of these. They tasted a lot better than most of the premixed iced coffee drinks I've tried, and it helps your mix-n-match variety because you can just have hot coffee or milk without any extra thought.
maladroit

Postby remi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 am

I like to eat like a king. The year I went I really enjoyed BBQ. I bring a full size BBQ. I pull out my meat for the next day right after dinner, marinade over night. Steaks, chicken and salmon. Next year I'm going to try to bring my steamer. I love steaming broccoli and zucchini. I also cooked my asparagus on the bbq... grilled tomatoes with feta crumbled on it was another good one. Like most other people mentioned, I brought canned food, but I think I ate one can of ravioli all week... Trail mix was rad!

One thing I need to bring more of next time is beef jerky. My campmate became addicted and raided everyones jerky stash. Understandable... we all go a little crazy sometimes.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby maladroit » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 pm

remi wrote:I pull out my meat for the next day right after dinner

Ha
maladroit

Postby HappySarah » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I live in the East Coast and I cooked, vacuum sealed, and froze all my meals and shipped them as checked-in luggage in a cooler with ice packs. The airlines charged me as much as if I shipped a suitcase (I think it was $35).
What worked:
- Steaks in chimichurri sauce (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Chicken fajitas (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Zucchini bread (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Bolognese sauce (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Pesto (frozen as cubes and vacuum sealed)
- Bacon (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Veggie stir fry with tofu (frozen and vacuum sealed)
- Tortilla (was the only type of bread we had and it stayed fresh all week)
- Pickles in a jar
- Boil-in-bag rice
- Pastas

What sort of worked, but wasn’t perfect!
- Quinoa tabbouli (it didn’t taste as fresh after thawed but it was ok)
- Baby frittata baked in mini muffins size (worked but didn’t taste as good as when first came out of the oven, I will probably still make them again)

The only cooking we did was boiling water and making either pasta or rice for dinner, with any of the sauces or meats already made.

P.S. we were in an RV so we had a fridge and a freezer. I am going to build a yurt and use the two cooler method this year!!
HappySarah

Postby bluemiragemi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:02 pm

HappySarah - OMG your post made me SO HAPPY. I was thinking of canning homemade vegetable soup and somehow shipping it out there, but I heard glass on the playa is frowned upon due to potential breakage MOOP.

Tell me more about how you got it out there? I'm travelling from Michigan, flying to Reno, hoping for a rideshare or taking the Burner Express to BRC.

I'm a damn good cook and I kill, grow, freeze and can most of my own food. Veggies = needed.
~ Em
bluemiragemi

Burning Since: 2014

Postby VultureChow » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:26 pm

You can absolutely bring glass. It's frowned upon as a beer container, partly because of breakage, but mainly because it creates heavier bulkier trash.

I've brought homemade pickles that I can. Plenty of other people bring jars, etc.

ETA: I bring frozen chili and thaw it for our chili cookoff. I just double bag it, wrap a sweatshirt around it and put it in the middle of a checked bag. Stays absolutely rock solid for a good 8 hours somehow.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby unjonharley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm

I use "glass" in camp only.. Pyrex and so forth..
unjonharley

Postby TT120 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 pm

unjonharley wrote:I use "glass" in camp only.. Pyrex and so forth..

As long as your meth lab doesn't explode, there is no moop.

W6BJD
TT120

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:17 am

TT120 wrote:
unjonharley wrote:I use "glass" in camp only.. Pyrex and so forth..

As long as your meth lab doesn't explode, there is no moop.

Simon? Is that you?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:58 pm

bluemiragemi wrote:HappySarah - OMG your post made me SO HAPPY. I was thinking of canning homemade vegetable soup and somehow shipping it out there, but I heard glass on the playa is frowned upon due to potential breakage MOOP.

Right. :) It's frowned upon, not banned. Most good booze comes in glass bottles, so careful use is tolerated. So, opt for other containers wherever possible, keep control of what do you bring in, & don't give out individual glass bottles of beer. (If someone accepts a bottle from you, and breaks it a block away some poor fool will step in it, or (best case scenario) a member of DPW will be on their hands and knees picking it out of the playa.)

Be ready to transport it out and recycle it, and sweep up every bit of it, if it breaks. You know--regular good citizen stuff.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:13 pm

When out mooping, I carry a dog pooper scooper and tiny rake just for glass..

It is hard for me to get down and up.. So I get off my ride, get the two canes,get the rake and scooper out.. By then I have some one :oops: shamed into picking the glass out of the dust.. It all go's to show :lol:
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:03 pm

unjonharley wrote:By then I have some one :oops: shamed into picking the glass out of the dust.. It all go's to show :lol:

*nods wisely...*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bluemiragemi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Frozen chili in luggage sounds awesome. Crazy awesome.

Thanks for the pro tips on the glass! Yeah, I'd keep mason jars in my tent and haul them out. And then...shelf stable veggies. Hell yeah.
~ Em
bluemiragemi

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Adri » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 pm

What worked:
  • Frozen, vacuum-sealed meals (pot roast, red beans & rice)
  • Muffin-cup sized frittatas (shredded potato, wilted greens, garlic, bacon in a muffin tin, topped with beaten eggs and baked until they puff up. Then freeze in a gallon ziplock. Eat hot or cold for a quick snack)
  • Quesadillas - my new best thing ever on the playa for coming home late night and eating. Tortillas, shredded cheese, jarred salsa, and a nonstick pan on a camp stove. Oh yes.
  • Canned bloody mary mix - with or without vodka, a can of mix is a great start in the morning and full of delicious sodium
  • apples - kept in a cold, dry cooler

What didn't work:
  • French press coffee - just too much of a pain in the ass to clean the french press after. Will coldbrew at home this year and bring in bottles

What I'm excited to try this year:
  • Steak - since I won't be cooking for a whole camp
  • aforementioned cold press coffee
Image ...accept the fact that this city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions. -- Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
Adri

Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Previous

Return to Food & Drink