law enforcement 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

80th Percentile

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:26 am

unjonharley wrote:Speed limits in the US are not set by mass hysteria or majority vote.. The speed limits are set by Safety Engineers.. But the masses know better.. That is why about 50 000 have been killed on the US hwy's each year since 1949

They should be set by engineers, but almost never are.
They are for revenue enhancement.

Engineers have proven that the public are smarter than the police anyway.
Studies show that people drive slower without signs in poor conditions.
There is a practice known as the 80th Percentile Rule, as it has been found that most drivers will drive in the safe and comfortable speed margins, nearly identical to any carefully set engineering parameters.
Road speeds are measured, then limits are set based on the speeds people drive without signs.
http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/r ... redibility

These days, politicians set the speed limits.
Artificially low speed limits cause differential speeds, that is people driving at different speeds, which actually is a potential safety hazard.
Speed is almost never the cause of an accident in itself.
When it is, it is usually in poor conditions, under the speed limit, but too fast.
So speed limits in most places are set where they are known to put the public at risk, but they don't care.

In Black Rock City itself, the speed limit is not 5 mph.
It is 5 mph OR LESS.
Usually less, based on dust and safety.
You are not supposed to go fast enough to create any visible dust, or crowd the traffic.
gyre

Re: law enforcement 2013

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 am

RosieTahoe wrote:Maybe I'm biased because my brother is a police officer (and is probably the nicest person you'll ever meet) but I think the cops have a tough job at the burn, they may not even agree with all the laws personally, but it is their job to enforce them.

Rosie, Of course you're biased, you're in a cop family. Black rock city is the only unarmed city in the USA. Violent crime is almost non existent. Attacks on officers are non existent. How is their job more tough then say, a cop in any other city in the USA? List some examples. Being a cop at BRC is closer to the level of a very rich small town where the only crime is DUI. Except in this city there iare lots of amazing people and things to look, nude women pose for photos and everyone is happy. Police pick and choose what laws to enforce. The difference is that in any other city USA people aren't stopped for driving one mile over the limit, then searched. In any other city USA people aren't constantly asked for drugs day and night, then arrested. In BRC they are.
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am

If you want to know what the police are doing, look at the arrests and tickets.
Easy.
The most dangerous thing most people do in traffic is drive in the rain with no lights, yet most cities write zero tickets.
Did they arrest anyone for theft in Black Rock?

Real police work is hard.

When I was looking at a farm in the rural areas, there is a cop living at the end of the road.
His wife asked if I was comfortable with that. (I'm from a high crime city, long hair, etc apparently some people actually still grow things at farms )
I told her that if he was a good cop, I was thrilled.
She wasn't offended at all.
She knew exactly what I meant.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:unjohn, how many years has it been since youve been to burning man? How many years have you been armchair quarterbacking? What agency were you an officer of, or which agency does your relative work at?
Car's speedometers don't have a mark for 5 MPH. Many don't have a mark for 10. You have to guess your speed. If the cops arent using radar they are guessing too.

True, most car idle around 10 mph.. I'm lucky to have a stick (4) shift.
Put it in compound and idle is about 4-5 mph.. Best measure is to not pass a slower car.. Might be the people ticketed for 8 mph were doing 10-15.. Some cop go lite on ticket like that.. Lets hope so, anyway.. There were plenty going 20-25 entering and exit.. Rolling one hell of a dust tail.. Had bug guts, playa dust and rain on the wind shield.. All I could do was follow tail lights..

Lets see now.. Been to Burning Man 10 times.. Stay current with current events of Burning Man.. A nephew is a retired MI. state trooper..Brother in law is a pharmaceutical engineer.. Oldest grandson is a p.h.d. pharmaceutical chemistry.. Youngest grandson is a pharmacist..Myself have been in addition outreach for 51 years..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:unjohn, how many years has it been since youve been to burning man? ...

For the record, Unjonharley camped right next to Figjam, Geospyder, and me this year.

And.... It's not that I disagree there are unique law enforcement problems in BRC, but we need to work on it in a rational and productive manner.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby strange love » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 am

It's pretty obvious that the Leo's main objective out in BRC is to make money. Why don't they do everyone a favor and start handing out littering tickets within our city? They would make so much money as the moop this year was ridiculous.
strange love

Burning Since: 2011

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 am

strange love wrote:It's pretty obvious that the Leo's main objective out in BRC is to make money. Why don't they do everyone a favor and start handing out littering tickets within our city? They would make so much money as the moop this year was ridiculous.

That old wife's tail has been around from the twenties..

BMorg has to pay through the nose for those cops.. We are talking million or so..

How many tickets/arrest were not guilty..

I'm trying to help burners have a great burn and not get arrested..
It's not helping throwing shit ie wife tails and speculations in the pot..
unjonharley

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am

Edit: outside of burning man, no one is pulled over for an "obscured" license plate as a pretext to cause a dog to alert to force a search. Oh and how I missed seeing those of you regulars that actually attend at the meet and greet. I curious what your deeply weathered and haggard faces from years of burns (or carpal tunnel from years of typing) look like. I'm guessing 1/4 of the regular eplaya lurkers were there?
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

So according to lord of ruin, top cop apologist, eating food is now probable cause of a crime. Your dad or spouse is a cop right? You're an informant?
Same thing happened to me, I ate food (the horror) that looked like food and had flashlights in my eyes. That doesnt happen outside of burning man. Eating is not a crime, got it? Drinking liquid is not a crime. Breathing is not a crime. Smoking tobacco is legal. Dancing is legal. Wearing glowly blinky objects is not probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Repeat until you understand.

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
Ano wrote:I took a few friends out to the Robot Heart art car. All sober. Buddy of mine realizes he has some jolly ranchers, and goes to give them out. Cue our group getting pulled out of the crowd by BLM, lights flashed in our eyes, and harassed over jolly ranchers. They refused to identify themselves and disappeared into the crowd. It was pretty cool.

Beyond that, I talked to some nice BLM, and was almost hit by a few speeding cars riding down our street pre and post event. I also had the joy of having BLM on my tail for the entirety of the 447 on Friday, pre-event.

I took a few friends out to the Robot Heart art car. We had heard all the stories about people getting stopped for open containers while driving, so all of us took whatever drugs we had on us so we'd only have to drink water the whole time.

Once we get out to RH, buddy of mine realizes that he has some of our X stash on him, so he engages in furtive behavior remarkably similar to the distribution of drugs by handing them out to our group. Group members proceed to smile and happily pop the candy in our mouth, furthering the misunderstanding.

Cue our group getting pulled out of the crowd by BLM, lights flashed in our eyes, and harassed for distributing X to a group of people. They refused to identify themselves because although it sounded in hour head like we were cogently asking for them to do so, over the blaring music from Robot Heart, coupled with our drug addled sensibilities, we couldn't hear them. They disappeared into the crowd.

It was pretty cool.

Perspective is a bitch, huh?
PlayaPatrol

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:Edit: outside of burning man, no one is pulled over for an "obscured" license plate as a pretext to cause a dog to alert to force a search.

Stats?? or you don't know what your talking about..

My younger son on his way to a show was pull over for 5 over.. 200 new bong's trashed at the side of the road.. The the truck was disassembled until they found a bong that had been used. In jail,, A grand bail and truck towed..
unjonharley

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 am

what was the disturbance about?

zorro sings wrote:HUGE improvement over last year as far as LEO presence.It was a relief not to see a cop car roll by every half hour or so.The plan to have Pershing County authorities ride with BLM personel was a plus in this regard.We also have to thank then for responding to a disturbance at our camp on Friday.Arrived very promptly although they lingered,in force,for quite some time considering the suspect was in handcuffs almost immediately.
PlayaPatrol

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am

idio wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Years ago, I worked a second job as intake at a detox.. For some reason i could smell the different drugs in sweat from the clients.. Even if you think not, You walk talk and move different while using.. It dose not take even a trained eye to spot you.. After a few encounters a cop sees it as second nature spotting drug users..

typo or Freudian slip?

Neither. His childhood didn't have much room for the luxury of book learning. Doesn't mean he's stupid, dishonest, or that he doesn't know a thing or two...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:47 am

If I use certain browsers, they typo all by themselves.
gyre

Postby Thecatman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:I do not believe it is ever illegal to take pictures or video of law enforcement. If they are out of line, they wont like it, and will probably ask you to stop, with force, but you are within your rights to keep documenting. If an officer is doing his or her job, he will have nothing to hide from you. I am not a lawyer, though.

Thought of the Rodney King incidents in LA several years ago.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 am

Thecatman wrote:
SaritaSyrah wrote:I do not believe it is ever illegal to take pictures or video of law enforcement. If they are out of line, they wont like it, and will probably ask you to stop, with force, but you are within your rights to keep documenting. If an officer is doing his or her job, he will have nothing to hide from you. I am not a lawyer, though.

Thought of the Rodney King incidents in LA several years ago.

Creeping up on two decades now...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Wrath » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:05 am

Elliot wrote:...unique law enforcement problems in BRC... ...work on it in a rational and productive manner.

WISDOM!
Wrath

Postby BeachBum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 pm

(Post 1 of 3)

I have reported a very unethical encounter with an undercover that occurred on Monday, Sept 2nd, 2013 (Exodus Day) to the BM Government Affairs via a mailed BM 2013 LE feedback form, to the NV ACLU via a written letter to the LV ACLU office, and to Lawyers for Burners via their web form. I also reported to the ACLU on playa this year a very similar unethical encounter with a different undercover last year. The following two posts describe my reports, with names and some identifying information redacted.

Please note that I am a non-liberal, middle-aged guy, who absolutely DOES NOT DO DRUGS and who normally has significant respect for law enforcement officers, it’s such a tough job. I had a very good interaction with four law enforcement officers this year, which I thanked the lead officer for. But, when law enforcement officers try to unethically and aggressively entrap myself and my campmates in felonies, it needs to be reported, no matter how difficult it is to do so, I get no benefit out of making these reports.
BeachBum

Postby BeachBum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm

(Post 2 of 3)

A 20-something year old named (rhymes with weed), wearing board shorts and no shirt, very sparse beard, walked into our camp and offered to help us with tear down in the early afternoon of Exodus/Labor Day, Monday, Sept 2nd, 2013.

About the third thing he said was that he had a bag of “good weed” on his bicycle and would like to share it if anyone wants it. His bag of what he described as “good weed” was filling a camping “stuff sack” a bit larger than a Coca-Cola can, hanging off the end of his bicycle handle bar. After working for about 5 minutes, he went over to a van that a middle-aged campmate and his girlfriend were at, and gave his background “scenario” story as growing up on a farm in O and now living in SB (the “scenario story” of being on a farm and moving to a city seems to be a trend, see the next post). The undercover proceeded to ask if he/they could smoke his “good weed” in their van. He was met with a NO, and the statement that they DO NOT DO DRUGS.

After working for about 5 more minutes, the undercover tried to physically place, with outstretched arm, his bag of “good weed” into the hands of my campmate who previously told the undercover that they do not do drugs, trying to entrap my campmate with his large quantity of drugs. My campmate was totally unaware of this action occurring. I yelled at the undercover, in a very DPW manner, to get out, and informed everyone within earshot that he was an undercover.

I followed his trail, trying to find a Black Rock Ranger to report this attempted felony entrapment to and warning people that this undercover was trying to help people with teardown and unethically entrap them by physically placing his bag of “good weed” into their hands. The first BRC Ranger I found, amazingly, was actually the BRC Ranger LEAL (Law Enforcement Agency Liaison), and a gal who was riding along with him in the BRC Ranger LEAL-marked vehicle, who were on their way to a meeting with the BLM law enforcement. I described the unethical incident to them, and the BRC Ranger LEAL said he would discuss this at the meeting.

I then returned to camp, continuing teardown, and about 20 minutes later the undercover returned with an older gentleman in his 60’s. The undercover pointed me out to the older gentleman, and the older gentleman came over to talk with me. Trying to maintain cover, he said that he was a friend of (rhymes with weed), and that he was just a misguided kid camping with them, and started into their standard speech of “How long have you been going to Burning Man?”, and that Burning Man was all about gifting, … I responded with saying that I had already reported this to the BRC Ranger LEAL and law enforcement (which didn’t phase him in the least), and I have been going to BM since (very long ago) and I yelled at him multiple times to get out, again in a very DPW manner.

The interaction with the older undercover was very strange. He seemed to have very little law enforcement training, maybe a government employee or such deputized just for the event. He seemed to have no understanding of the how extremely unethical their actions were, or that what they were doing was legally and morally wrong.
BeachBum

Postby BeachBum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

(Post 3 of 3)

I reported this previous encounter with a different undercover to the ACLU during the burn this year, prior to our camp’s unethical undercover encounter described in the previous post. The ACLU lawyers were surprised that this unethical activity of trying to place large quantities of illegal drugs into people’s hands was also occurring last year, their first report of it was this year. I also attached my letter about this incident previously sent to a Lawyers for Burners to my letter to the BM Government Affairs this week, as well as also officially reporting this incident last year.

--------------------------------

I had a very unethical encounter with an undercover officer at the portapotties at 6:30 & I at about 10am on exodus day, Monday Sept 3, 2012.

For details, there was a gal, very, very thin, very “burnery” look, very clean, having a “meltdown” and loudly wailing “Please help me”, “I lost my keys”, “I want out of here”, “I need out of this dust”, and professionally tossing her (fairly clean) GSA-white crossover vehicle at these portapotties (Note 2013: a very similar or identical GSA-white crossover vehicle was in the LE compound at the 12 mile gate this year with LE markings on it). People over 200 feet away heard her wails, she definitely wasn’t trying to be discreet. I, and a gal named (redacted), went over to help her.

After spending 10 or so minutes helping her find her keys, calming her down, and loading all the stuff back in her vehicle, and listening to her “scenario story” of being in the process of moving from Humboldt County (CA) to Santa Cruz via Burning Man, she tried to “thank” us by saying she was a “ganja farmer”, and pushing a one gallon! Saran-wrapped bag of what she said was marijuana at us as “thanks”. (Note: I don’t even know what marijuana looks like, the bag could have been dried plant leaves or coffee grounds for all I know) I told the gal who also was helping her “calm down”, “f___ing undercover”, and I pushed the bag of “marijuana” away. The undercover gal then got in her vehicle and drove off up 6:30, way past the normal BM exit turnoff at “L”, maybe to the police compound further up by the 12 mile road gate. About 30 seconds later, a bigger white SUV went by, with some sort of police marking on the side, with an older gentleman in it which I assumed to be her backup, and waved at me as if to say, “good job”.

Why I believe this was an undercover: her vehicle was fairly clean with minimal dust on it, despite her saying she was at Burning Man for a while; the one gallon bag of “marijuana” was baggied and “Saran” wrapped as if it just came from an evidence locker; she was relatively clean; her bike was one of the grossest, mud caked bikes I had ever seen – no gal that clean would come near it; no gal moves with only packing bamboo porch furniture and without packing clothes; no one carrying a felonious amount of illegal drugs would try to make themselves be the center of attention to everyone within 200 feet; when hugging her to calm her down – she wasn’t shaking as would be expected - her body, body language, and facial expressions instead seemed to say “p/o’ed that she was doing this”; no one just gives away well over $10,000 of anything as “thanks”; and also due to the officer in the SUV waving at me just after this incident.
BeachBum

Postby Theraplst » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 pm

BeachBum wrote:no one just gives away well over $10,000 of anything as “thanks”;

any amount of pot that a girl could carry would not be worth 10,000. If she were in fact a pot farmer, a gallon bag of pot would be comparable to a few handles of alcohol.

you can probably fit about 800 dollars of pot in a gallon bag, maybe more depending.

If I were someone in dire need of playa escape and a pot farmer, I might not want to bring that much back out and would likely give it away. People only bring that much pot to give away.

that said, shes a cop bro
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Good job.
gyre

Postby RosieTahoe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:00 pm

PlayaPatrol wrote:
RosieTahoe wrote:Maybe I'm biased because my brother is a police officer (and is probably the nicest person you'll ever meet) but I think the cops have a tough job at the burn, they may not even agree with all the laws personally, but it is their job to enforce them.

Rosie, Of course you're biased, you're in a cop family. Black rock city is the only unarmed city in the USA. Violent crime is almost non existent. Attacks on officers are non existent. How is their job more tough then say, a cop in any other city in the USA? List some examples. Being a cop at BRC is closer to the level of a very rich small town where the only crime is DUI. Except in this city there iare lots of amazing people and things to look, nude women pose for photos and everyone is happy. Police pick and choose what laws to enforce. The difference is that in any other city USA people aren't stopped for driving one mile over the limit, then searched. In any other city USA people aren't constantly asked for drugs day and night, then arrested. In BRC they are.

God, PlayaPatrol, you seem so freaking angry at everyone. I'm sorry if you have had terrible experiences with cops in your life, but I absolutely do NOT come from a "cop family" as my brother has only been a police officer for about two years! In fact, it was difficult for all of us to get on board with his choice to become a cop because the rest of the family is against many of the laws that he has to enforce! The difficulty I was referring to is that many cops don't agree with all of our drug laws, or even the really slow speed limits, but is literally their job to enforce those laws. We should be working to change the laws we don't agree with, not blaming BLM for enforcing the laws on the books. Personally, I don't think we should have any laws regarding what I do to my own body, and any laws should be protecting me from the guy next to me, and visa versa. Just because there are no guns doesn't mean there isn't violence, and just because there are no ATTACKS on BLM agents doesn't mean that they don't feel the hostility towards them from many members of the BM community. And I'm not even saying that people don't have a right to their hostility! I have many friends who HAVE been pulled over for some ridiculous reason in the default world and had their cars or person "illegally" searched, so no, I don't think that only happens at BM. In fact, it is pretty much known around here that if you are driving on I-80 with a non Nevada or California license plate that you will get pulled over for going just a few miles over the speed limit (or for some other tiny infraction) and searched because they think you are transporting weed from CA to the east coast or wherever.

Also, I never meant to imply that no one had illegal or awful experiences with BLM out there this year, just that I didn't!

With all that being said, I did comment in my first post that I didn't think the cops minded chatting it up with beautiful topless women so that may make up for any downside of working BM ;)
RosieTahoe

Burning Since: 2013

Postby dj_john69 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:56 pm

I talked to many many burners that got "pulled over" and they all said the same thing to me. The BLM rangers said it was within their legal rights on the Playa to "sniff the air" surrounding cars...for no reason. Then, the lil hillbillies from Pershing county would bring their dogs to sniff. I personally witnessed 2 different vehicles near Osiris getting the dog sniffing. Kinda funny too, once the dog got to the car, the handler would use a squeaky toy to get the dog to jump on the vehicle. The handler then said the dog "hit" something which allowed that vehicle to be searched by BLM rangers. One vehicle the driver admitted to having a gram of weed and the BLM ranger just had him dump it on the Playa and step on it until it was dust. The other happened Tuesday after the event. He didn't have fucking shit on him or in his vehicle. The BLM rangers left him with a "verbal" and left him with all his stuff on the Playa. It took the poor guy an hour to repack his stuff.

This is fucking bullshit !!! There was total LEO abuse going on this year especially once you hit the Playa surface and well past the greeters station.

I agree that the overall LEO presence was better than last year or whatever but these fucking dickheads that are doing illegal shit to earn $$ for the government need to fucking quit their bullshit.

I actually met a bunch of cool BLM guys at Distrikt over the week including Ranger Love from SLC. He is the new dude in charge and he was cool as fuck. I was messing with him and his guys for a while. We all had good laughs.

Speaking on BLM rangers at Distrikt, i saw some guy face down and not looking good. Rangers were called over to help. It was BLM medics to the rescue. This one BLM medic must have stayed by this guys side for an hour checking his vitals and rubbing his chest and forehead out of compassion. It almost made me tear up knowing that there were good guys there to help this poor guy. He ended up getting taken away via medical services. I dont know what happened to him after that though.

Overall, the feds were ok at best this year. I hope that everyone that had a problem with the LEO's fills out the forms needed by BM.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:26 pm

BeachBum wrote:
I had a very unethical encounter with an undercover officer at the portapotties at 6:30 & I at about 10am on exodus day, Monday Sept 3, 2012.

For details, there was a gal, very, very thin, very “burnery” look, very clean, having a “meltdown” and loudly wailing “Please help me”, “I lost my keys”, “I want out of here”, “I need out of this dust”, and professionally tossing her (fairly clean) GSA-white crossover vehicle at these portapotties (Note 2013: a very similar or identical GSA-white crossover vehicle was in the LE compound at the 12 mile gate this year with LE markings on it). People over 200 feet away heard her wails, she definitely wasn’t trying to be discreet. I, and a gal named (redacted), went over to help her.

Funny you should mention someone of very distinctive thinness. I had my own very interesting experience this year with a very unusually thin interloper; either The World's Most Irritating Tweaker, or . . . well, Undercover Law Enforcement. :lol:

Either way, REALLY annoying.

I walk into my friend's shade just before midnight on Tuesday of the event. We were drinking and giggling--wasting time with each other as long-time friends, instead of going out to rave it up. Just 5 or 6 of us in a personal shade structure, no bar or anything public.

Suddenly this remarkably thin, dark-haired girl, mid-20's, dressed in Native American-lite appears on a bar stool with us, without so much as a how-do-you-do. No invitation. Such distractingly thin little arms--you couldn't look away. She was talking a blue streak about something, but she changed topics about once every two sentences, if that. Rapid-fire. Either very much intoxicated, or wanted us to think she was. About 60 seconds into her visit, she mentions wanting to "smoke a bowl", evidently to calm down, who knows.

"No one here DOES that," I tell her. And then, because I'm pissed, I add, "And anyone who doesn't know you extremely well and asks you for that stuff?! IS NOT YOUR FRIEND."

Dummy continues hanging out on the bar stool talking, as if anyone is actually replying to her (although at this point, one or two of us are kind of tittering). She name-drops Fandango in some sort of way, although I doubt anyone that annoying actually had ties to Fandango.

I find myself sort of circulating restlessly through the shade, unnerved by her twitchiness and unpredictable demeanor. I don't know much about meth except that I don't want to be sitting deep in a couch when some stranger chock-full of it takes exception to how I'm looking at her.

"Maybe you should sit down," Danger said to me.
"I don't feel comfortable with that right now."

I really didn't! I felt endangered.

I spent the next 10 minutes deflecting the contents of her brain rather than deciding to charge it directly. Suddenly with a twitchy flounce, she disappears through the back of camp. GOOD RIDDANCE.

We keep chit-chatting. The relief is palpable.

"Where do you think she went?" someone asks at last.
"Oh, she's probably out back somewhere, bleeding out on a piece of rebar," Danger answers, and we laughed about that for a full minute.

And for the rest of the week, it became the answer for where anyone is at any time (if we don't actually know).

"Where's Savannah?"
"Oh, probably out back somewhere, bleeding out on a piece of rebar."

We'll never know if she was real or fake. Doesn't matter. What a pain in the ass.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:59 pm

I wouldn't trust someone like that going through the back of the camp... Unless you were watching and making sure she wasn't making any unauthorized stops.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah, it wasn't cool or permitted, but she moved REALLY fast.

It's the one part of the story that makes me think "actual tweaker". Real law enforcement would've been more likely to keep to the street.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm

I see a lot of paranoia about law enforcement and a lot of complacence; like so many things in life, the appropriate attitude probably lies somewhere in between.

Edit: One night I tried to dress "survival" and ended up looking more SWAT tactical. It was a different world, hostility and fear oozed from nearly everyone who wasn't pointedly ignoring me. Several confrontations and muttered comments since I was obviously having a good time and apparently cops are supposed to be miserable and not act like real people. Usually I can play off things like that as other people's problem, and share a good laugh with those who make it inside the joke. But I lasted an hour or so before heading back to camp to change.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby BeachBum » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Savannah,

Don't know. I seem to remember the very, very thin gal who tried to push the gallon of marijuana into us last year was like 5'6" or so, I don't have the form I turned into the BRC Rangers in front of me to tell what I wrote down. Longer dirty blond braids, but hair can change. Talks fast and changes subjects, yep. Twitchy, don't know, maybe her fast movements resembled twitchyness. Fairly good posture. Moved suddenly and walked really fast, very, very definitely yes. All of a sudden seeing that gallon block of illegal stuff right next to our bellies as she spun from the back of her car into us was a total shock.

The gal who was also helping the undercover "calm down" was so shocked that she blurted out, "Maybe I could make ______ out of it" before I immediately told her that it was an undercover and pushed the stuff away. Talk about entrapment, a life potentially ruined and significant time in jail based on a split second fight-or-flight (acquiescence) reaction to a shocking action isn't ethical.

It was also a shock to have this same unethical tactic happen two years in a row. The one this year was so much better set up and acted than the one last year, but it was blatantly obvious after the previous experience. After thinking about the experience last year, I decided to let my natural adrenaline "fight" reaction take hold this year, instead of struggling to remain calm, calmness could be misinterpreted and ineffective. My reaction was effective, though I was hoping that it wouldn't be needed, sigh. I know there are a number of other people out there who also experienced this unethical tactic, I hope they also decide to report it widely.
Last edited by BeachBum on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeachBum

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Tweaker and police officer aren't always mutually exclusive.
gyre

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm

I had no interactions with undercovers this year. Last year there were at least three; one girl came to our camp and after 15 mins of conversation starting repeatedly mentioning how her boss had supplied her with "Molly" to which I agreed that was very likely. She wandered off and her friend took a shift, commented on how chill I was...asked to see my eyes (which were behind sunglasses). Girl One snorted in humor and dragged her away. Same girl tried to get a drink without ID a few days later. After Temple burn a very underage looking kid spent about 10 minutes trying to get me to serve a minor...his friend came up after a few minutes and said "No really he's like 25" to which I replied "First, I can't believe you'd walk around without an ID, because you gotta know how it looks. Second, when you're fifty years old you'll look 25, and I'm jealous."

This year the undercovers were actually doing a good job being undercover, or there weren't as many sting ops.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man