Newbie On Fire for 2014

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: Newbie On Fire for 2014

Postby Stray Dog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

2013 was my first year. The best advice I got and took was to go in with no agenda, no plan (other than your radical self-reliance plan) and that was the best advice ever. I meandered my way around the city, met some great people, and had a great time. I started small, didn't try to bite off too much, and didn't try to see everything (as if that were even possible.)

Just relax and look forward to it. Then ease your way through it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stray Dog

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Airport

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm

There will be surprises. You will enter a cruel relativistic device that turns every hour into a second and everything you touch into one thousand pounds.

A playa project will be the hardest thing you have ever done, and a big one harder still. That is the point. That is the art. The environment is deadly. Nothing is routine, nothing. Everything moves slower except ever-accelerating time itself. You have the Red Queen on your back and you are at the bottom of a blistering sea: all of the pressure, and nothing to do but slog it out, one inexorably slow swing, one exhausted step at a time, as the churning of a smothering dust storm binds your every muscle like you are buried in concrete.

Be prepared to not be prepared.
chiefdanfox

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Well said.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moltensteelman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:12 am

You may want to stop in at the roadside attraction on Tuesaday evenings for an event we call Woosday, a gathering of Portland burners from all different camps that get together to have a beer and socialize about random crap.
moltensteelman

Postby kowtow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 pm

This as been such a great learning experience. Sorry I haven't replied in awhile, but I stopped getting e-mails when there were forum updates.

I have scaled back on my ambitions as a result of all your inputs. Also.... I've found it really important to have a team behind you if you are going to try anything of any size and/or complexity. This has brought me to a stark cold reality. I'm strange!!! Why am I strange? I'm strange because I want to be a participant in Burning Man. Everyone in my circles whether it be work or personal life think I've lost it. There isn't a soul in my circles who thinks BM would be even remotely a worthwhile experience.

I know rednecks and vegans, I know the educated and simple-minded, I know liberals and conservatives, I know loners and socialites, I know gays and straights and there isn't a single soul in the bunch that wants to dive in and partake in BM. This BM thing means something much more to me. This is something extremely personal and extremely spiritual for me. Am I off my rocker for feeling this way? Who knows. All I know is that I'm going it alone at this point. I'm resolved to that and excited about it. Not sure why, I'm kind of a loner, no that's not correct, I'm really a loner, but I see BM as an opportunity for me. A chance for me to just be "me" and do it in an environment where it's relatively safe. Where do I categorically fit in with the above stereotypes. Not that it's important, but I would consider myself a straight educated redneck loner conservative with a bent.

Back to the focus of my post. I've scaled back. I'm now focusing on my radical self-reliance for the time being. My intentions are to have an H12 hexayurt with swamp cooler(s). I've already built three hexayurts, two 1:12 scale and a 1:4 scale. My main focus is on making my design such that one person can put it together. All of the forums and research I've found have focused on having a number of people to assist in the "yurt-raising" but I've made it a point to ensure this can be done alone, hence the multiple designs. In theory I've got a method to construct this alone, but in reality I won't know until I assemble a full scale H12 alone. Swamp coolers - I've built two. Many thanks go to FIGJAM!!! He's the master, but then again he lives in Apache Junction, AZ which is the perfect place for design and testing. Kudo's FigJam!!! I live in the PNW and up in this area its... lets see... it's 58°F and 87% humidity today, so swamp cooler designs are less than efficient in this weather. If it wasn't for the exhaustive work that you've put into your designs, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I've built the bucket cooler and the 3-vent (endless breeze) box cooler so far. I still need to procure the DuraCool pads, as there isn't a single source locally for swamp cooler supplies. The closet I've come is to finding large pond filters and a product called NaturalAire http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flanders-PrecisionAire-24-in-x-36-in-x-1-in-Permaire-Pad-Air-Filter-40655-012436/100178722#.Uj-QT8ZwqSo. I've ordered some Aspen pads and will be also ordering some DuraCool pads but will have to wait for them to arrive. Once I'm finished with these two self-reliance projects I can then begin thinking about art again....
I'll keep my mind on today and let the enigma of tomorrow come as it may...
Once I stopped trying to define Burning Man, I was finally able to understand Burning Man
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 pm

A playa project will be the hardest thing you have ever done, and a big one harder still. That is the point. That is the art. The environment is deadly. Nothing is routine, nothing. Everything moves slower except ever-accelerating time itself. You have the Red Queen on your back and you are at the bottom of a blistering sea: all of the pressure, and nothing to do but slog it out, one inexorably slow swing, one exhausted step at a time, as the churning of a smothering dust storm binds your every muscle like you are buried in concrete.

perfect....just.....perfect
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I'll be totally amazed if you can find a way to assemble the yurt with no assistance. Especially on the playa where there are breezes and wind. We have gotten it down to two people, but prefer using three or four.

However, even though you are going yourself, you will have no trouble recruiting a neighbor or three to help.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby kowtow » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 pm

jkisha wrote:I'll be totally amazed if you can find a way to assemble the yurt with no assistance. Especially on the playa where there are breezes and wind. We have gotten it down to two people, but prefer using three or four.

However, even though you are going yourself, you will have no trouble recruiting a neighbor or three to help.

Thanks jkisha. I was just trying to be uberly self-reliant. Is it possible to lift an H12 roof from the ground once it's assembled? My thought would be to assemble the roof at ground level, then assemble the walls leaving an opening big enough to walk through. Using a pole to then lift the roof, walk it over and onto the walls. I know that sounds overly simplistic, but if the roof can maintain its shape it seems reasonable it should work.
I'll keep my mind on today and let the enigma of tomorrow come as it may...
Once I stopped trying to define Burning Man, I was finally able to understand Burning Man
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Postby C187 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Personally my advice would be to cover your RSR basics now, and before you move on to any grand art plan. Most of us artsy types tend to get tunnel vision on an idea, only to burn out on it mid way though execution. So work on the needs of yourself while your out on the playa for the next few months. Take your time on it, and ask all the questions. Which I see you are doing. But also keep in mind that you really don't need much to survive on the playa as long as you were smart about it. A tent, blankets, clothes, food, water, and sunscreen is all you really need. However as a noob you'll over bring anyway, and figure out how the playa effects you. Which is normal, and good.

As others have suggested get in contact with locals, and get involved. But I'm going to tell you the dirty little secret about that. If those people are not your type, you don't have to interact with them to have a successful stay, and wonderful time on the playa. So don't ever feel like you have to be all lock step with them if you don't want to be. You can come out to the playa alone if you want, and it wont get in the way of doing things. You can also reach out to camps that interest you from the far off places, and join up with them if they'll have you. Just keep in mind all of the things suggested about doing that in this thread so far. I'll only add that the same kind of burn out can happen when you're in camp, so try not to over extend yourself. Know your limits, and work with in those. If the camp doesn't work out for you while your on playa, you can move out if need be.

Now to the practical..
For the 8ft style yurts (that's the H12, right?) I've only helped people put them up by holding the walls in place for tape, then help guiding, and holding in place the assembled roof as it was being taped to the walls. The weight on the roofs tend to shift a bit with the slightest amount of wind with two people for what I remember. Having three people seems to keep it more stable when walking it to the walls to place. I'm not sure how you could use a pool to transport the roof over without the roof blowing off, or knocking a hole in it. However, when it comes time for you to set up you can always ask your neighbors politely for help, even if you're camping alone. If they've never helped putting up a yurt before you can teach them.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Nope. The roof won't hold its shape lifting it from the center with a pole. It is hard to maintain the shape with two people. Not to mention trying to align it on the walls. The procedure you are explaining is pretty much how you erect it. You assemble the roof on the ground. You then assemble the walls, then walk the roof over the walls, align it and set it down and tape it. But I can't imagine that being done by one person.

Then, if there is the slightest breeze, it's constantly moving the walls out of position. We used several heavy tables strategically placed to keep the walls from moving while we were trying to position and do the preliminary taping of the roof to the walls.

And those panels are not all that sturdy until the entire structure is taped together. You don't want to take the chance of breaking any of the panels because you are shy about asking for help. You'll have plenty of opportunities to return the favor.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Previous

Return to Get Involved!