2013 Event Drone Experiences Thread (dronedronedrone...)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

2013 Event Drone Experiences Thread (dronedronedrone...)

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 am

Pre event: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=65038

Now this gem: viewtopic.php?f=343&t=66868
"I lost control of my drone over a densely populated area because 1. There were too many drones flying over a densely populated area, or 2. I don't know why. But it's not my fault."

Burning drone of the battery powered type: 2013 good, bad, ugly, your thoughts?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: 2013 Event Drone Experiences Thread (dronedronedrone...)

Postby 666isMONEY » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:17 am

Not at The Event but . . .

NEW YORK (AP) (September 5, 2013) — A teenage remote control helicopter enthusiast flying one in a park on Thursday was struck in the head by it and killed.

Roman Pirozek Jr., 19, was pronounced dead at a Brooklyn park near a busy parkway, and initial reports suggested he was killed by the helicopter's blade, police said.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/man-killed-remote ... 33877.html
666isMONEY

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:42 am

I fly a small recreational drone on my personal property and there is no way that I would fly it at Burning Man. It is much too dangerous.

It might be a sudden change in wind, a component failure, or pilot error -- At any moment, anything can and might go wrong.

Taking personal risks at Burning Man is one thing, but when there is a chance that one could possibly injure or kill an innocent bystander, I am amazed that Burning Man or the BLM allows drones to be flown at this event.
Meat Hunter

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Airport

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am

I hope that others don't ruin it for those who will abide the rules ?

That being said I've seen neat footage and I got some neat footage myself. Perhaps next year the BMORG should put drone information in the survival guide. I guess not everybody reads JRS.
otakup0pe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

Not everybody reads the Survival Guide, either, and the overlap between the two groups is, startlingly, not small.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 666isMONEY » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am

otakup0pe wrote:I hope that others don't ruin it for those who will abide the rules ?

That being said I've seen neat footage and I got some neat footage myself. Perhaps next year the BMORG should put drone information in the survival guide. I guess not everybody reads JRS.

Rules I've seen say not to fly over unprotected people:

otakup0pe wrote:
Sure, safety third and all, but you should probably at least take a look at the AMA safety guidelines http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF.

From the guidelines: All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
666isMONEY

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I hate the drones, except for the one that shot the footage that included a glimpse of our camp. Also the drone I saw flying INSIDE Thunder Dome. Dangerousasfuck, but totally fitting. Of course, soon johnny law will start flying his fleet over camps to sniff out delinquents.....
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I hate the drones, except for the one that shot the footage that included a glimpse of our camp. Also the drone I saw flying INSIDE Thunder Dome. Dangerousasfuck, but totally fitting. Of course, soon johnny law will start flying his fleet over camps to sniff out delinquents.....

Didn't you see the BLM Predator drone out by the trashfence ?
otakup0pe

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:44 am

I own and fly a UAS (unmanned aircraft system), aka recreational drone aircraft on my own personal property. And as a result, I am very sensitive to and mindful regarding FAA Advisories Circulars and how I fly.

Anyone care to read the FAA Advisory Circular (AC 91-57) regarding the flying civilian model aircraft?
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... /91-57.pdf

Burning Rock City does have a FAA defined uncontrolled airport that is less than 3 miles from Black Rock City the designator is 88NV.

Interesting legal aspects regarding FAA Advisory Circulars are:

If one causes personal injury, property damage, is being a nuisance, is reported and/or discovered/observed as acting in difference to a section(s) of a FAA Advisory Circular, the FAA has the legal authority to (an will) take a good bit of your wallet and/or your remaining time on this earth. Besides the criminal penalties, you may also subject to additional civil litigation.

Ignorance of the rules and regulations are no excuse.

Fly well, have a good time, be safe and please fly responsibility within the guidelines
Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 am

I own and fly a UAS (unmanned aircraft system), aka recreational drone aircraft on my own personal property. And as a result, I am very sensitive to and mindful regarding FAA Advisories Circulars and how I fly.

Anyone care to read the FAA Advisory Circular (AC 91-57) regarding the flying civilian model aircraft?

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... /91-57.pdf

Burning Rock City does have a FAA defined uncontrolled airport that is less than 3 miles from Black Rock City the designator is 88NV.

Interesting legal aspects regarding FAA Advisory Circulars are:

If one causes personal injury, property damage, is being a nuisance, is reported and/or discovered/observed as acting in difference to a section(s) of a FAA Advisory Circular, the FAA has the legal authority to (and will) take a good bit of your wallet and/or your remaining time on this earth. Besides the criminal penalties, you may also subject to additional civil litigation.

Ignorance of the rules and regulations are no excuse.

Fly well, have a good time, be safe and please fly responsibility within the guidelines
Meat Hunter

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 am

thunderdrone...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Sandstorm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 am

Does anyone know of a way to make a post-burn complaint to BMORG about the behavior of a drone/it's owners during the burn?

I ask because at this year's burn on early Tuesday morning there were 4 assholes using the grounds of The Temple for their personal drone photo shoot. Three of them were standing about 10' to 15' from the base of The Temple. One of them was the drone operator. Standing just behind him were 2 guys who had stretched between them a man's coat, which was being held aloft behind the head and shoulders of the drone operator. I'm guessing that the drone's control console had a video screen on it and that the coat that the guys were holding up was being used to reduce the glare on the video screen. The drone operator was filming the fourth member of the their crew, who was standing within The Temple itself. He was making a small stone mound on one of the horizontal planks that formed one of the walls of The Temple. I saw all this because I was standing within The Temple and wondering what nearby machine was steadily emitting a noise that sounded like a weed whacker on meth, a sound that was invasive beyond all belief given how quiet it was within and around The Temple. That was my first morning on the playa and my first visit to The Temple and I was very much in the moment. Had the circumstances been different it may have crossed my mind to say something to either the drone crew or one of the Temple Guardians. As a former Temple Guardian I'm amazed that one of the TG did not do something about the situation.

After last year's burn I posted on here about the noise pollution that some of the large sound camps on the outer corners of the Esplanade were inadvertently causing at The Temple because of how their sound systems were aligned. Since last year's burn BMORG and the big sound camps in question seem to have addressed last year's audio issues because each time I went to The Temple this year there was no inadvertent EDM noise pollution. The space within and around The Temple was gloriously still, something that I had experienced at The Temple during 4 of 5 previous burns ('07, '08, '10, '11) but not last year. Given both that fact and BMORG's pre-burn edict this year regarding the operation of drones on the playa it made the above described situation with the drone photo shoot that much more obnoxious in my perception.

For the record, I'm no whinger about noise on the playa. Be it morning, noon or night, I like it when music playing art cars pass by my camp. I'm just not a fan of unnecessary noise pollution and in this case people who are so clueless that they would bring their drone onto the grounds of The Temple so that they can do a personal photo shoot.
Sandstorm

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: TBD

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:06 pm

You'll have a hard time selling any noise-related complaints related to drones in the open playa. Though people and camps usually try to respect the "Temple" of their own accord, the area in and around the Temple is not a special designated zone for peace and quiet -- it's really just another large playa art piece. Any drone noise ordinances would need to be playa-wide to be enforced, especially given the Temple's location in the middle of the playa.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:22 pm

BBadger wrote:You'll have a hard time selling any noise-related complaints related to drones in the open playa. Though people and camps usually try to respect the "Temple" of their own accord, the area in and around the Temple is not a special designated zone for peace and quiet -- it's really just another large playa art piece. Any drone noise ordinances would need to be playa-wide to be enforced, especially given the Temple's location in the middle of the playa.

Are there really no special rules regarding the sanctity of the temple? I find this hard to believe, but then I am still an idealistic newb.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby lucky420 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:28 pm

[quote="FossaFerox"][quote="BBadger"]You'll have a hard time selling any noise-related complaints related to drones in the open playa. Though people and camps usually try to respect the "Temple" of their own accord, the area in and around the Temple is not a special designated zone for peace and quiet -- it's really just another large playa art piece. Any drone noise ordinances would need to be playa-wide to be enforced, especially given the Temple's location in the middle of the playa.[/quote]

Are there really no special rules regarding the sanctity of the temple? I find this hard to believe, but then I am still an idealistic newb.[/quote]

Yep, really
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:37 pm

We need to get a clear definition of exactly which weapons are and aren't allowed, so we know or can figure out how to shoot down assholishly operated drones. I'm thinking along the lines of a flak-firing air cannon. If you successfully take it out of the sky you could probably get plenty of friendly help cleaning up the moop.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Sandstorm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:07 pm

BBadger wrote:You'll have a hard time selling any noise-related complaints related to drones in the open playa. Though people and camps usually try to respect the "Temple" of their own accord, the area in and around the Temple is not a special designated zone for peace and quiet -- it's really just another large playa art piece. Any drone noise ordinances would need to be playa-wide to be enforced, especially given the Temple's location in the middle of the playa.

BBadger: I underlined the area of your post because it was exactly that kind of respect for The Temple that motivated me to make my initial post in this thread. Earlier today I was checking out a video on youtube, one that was posted by a burner who brought his drone to the playa this year. In the commens section to the video someone wrote:

"You did aaaall this work and didn't aerial film the burn?

Talk about fail. Cool idea, though."

to which the creator of the video wrote:

"Drone rules at B'Man specifically forbid flights over/near the Man during the night of the Man burn. I was following the rules. That's the same reason I don't have Temple pics; against the rules. Besides, I wanted to respect the mood and feel of the Temple and not fly my buzzy little toy over it."

Reading the above comments reminded me that I wanted to try to find our who it is at BMORG that I could report the event at The Temple that I described. For me the people doing that photo shoot were, on an energetic/karmic level, the bastard offspring of a darkwad and the Public Relations bastard who came up with the idea for the photoshoot that Krug did on the playa.

BTW, here's the link to the BM drone video that I was watching on youtube today:

http://youtu.be/woOHbbaj6fM

Captain Goddammit wrote:We need to get a clear definition of exactly which weapons are and aren't allowed, so we know or can figure out how to shoot down assholishly operated drones. I'm thinking along the lines of a flak-firing air cannon. If you successfully take it out of the sky you could probably get plenty of friendly help cleaning up the moop.

Captain Goddammit: I love you.
Sandstorm

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:08 pm

bola's?
weighted fishing net?
20' pve with net on the end?
vortex cannon
flame effect?
sling shot
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Just remember, no potato guns.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:We need to get a clear definition of exactly which weapons are and aren't allowed, so we know or can figure out how to shoot down assholishly operated drones. I'm thinking along the lines of a flak-firing air cannon. If you successfully take it out of the sky you could probably get plenty of friendly help cleaning up the moop.

Time to start wiring up a butterfly net with EL wire so it can be a parade staff...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby pimppapst » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Join your forces and make the el wire spiderweb and perform some sort of air drone ballet with all the drones available sometime at nite.
Costume your drones with el wire so that they seam to be butterflies and birds and bats and what not.
Flying around an only making movies and noise is way too retro ;-)
pimppapst

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Are there really no special rules regarding the sanctity of the temple? I find this hard to believe, but then I am still an idealistic newb.

The Temple, like everything else on the playa, is an interpretation, not an institution. Some people go into the Temple and cry and leave their pictures, write messages, or whatever. Others, like myself, go there to check out the artistry of the place. Still others would rather see the Temple de-emphasized to prevent it from becoming a Burning Man institution. There was a whole thread dedicated to the topic.

The Temple is really just a big building that people build each year. It's not holy, or some sort of religious symbol. It's not even an especially old recurring art piece: the first temple was in 2000. The Temple has probably returned each subsequent year because it was popular as a secondary large art structure that people could express their spirituality. Still, not everyone feels spiritual out there, or at least not in association with some sort of art building. It's a public space with no greater universal sanctity than a tree stump that looks like the Virgin Mary.

Sandstorm wrote:

BBadger: I underlined the area of your post because it was exactly that kind of respect for The Temple that motivated me to make my initial post in this thread. Earlier today I was checking out a video on youtube, one that was posted by a burner who brought his drone to the playa this year.

And look at what I highlighted above: it's just the individual who determines whether they ascribe to this so called "sanctity" of the Temple. You're free to complain to the ORG, but other than receiving a "deal with it" response, what do you expect to achieve? If it's forcing some sort of sound ordinance for that specific section of the open playa, I think you're way off base. Not everyone interprets the "Temple" in the same manner you do, and I don't want to see an restriction precedent set for art pieces or events in the open playa. The Temple already has its own special burn time at the end of the event. You can apply your reverence at that time. Up to that point, however, it's just a large public art piece with a name people associate with something spiritual.

That "spirituality" could be applied to anything. What if, for example, I set up a shrine art piece to our dear ex-leader George Dubya Bush? Should it be allowed some enforced special exclusion zone to ensure respect of His Dubyaness? I don't think so. Likewise, the Temple is just a big building that looks like a "temple" that some people treat as some sort of spiritual or special institution. Well, maybe it is for them, but it's not a universal feeling.

In the comments section to the video someone wrote [replied]:

"Drone rules at B'Man specifically forbid flights over/near the Man during the night of the Man burn. I was following the rules. That's the same reason I don't have Temple pics; against the rules. Besides, I wanted to respect the mood and feel of the Temple and not fly my buzzy little toy over it."

Reading the above comments reminded me that I wanted to try to find our who it is at BMORG that I could report the event at The Temple that I described.

First of all, the BMORG forbids flights over/near the Man during the night of the burn only for safety reasons, not because of art-piece sanctity or something like that. Second, there are no rules forbidding filming of the Temple by UAVs or otherwise -- only discouraging UAV use during the Temple burn just as during the Man burn. Filming UAVs do require filming permission from BMORG, but nothing regarding filming the Temple itself. Third, what you're complaining about is not the filming, but the noise those drones make, and none of what the guy stated above applies to that.

So your complaint really has no relationship to the words of the guy you quoted. Instead, you're just complaining about noise near some building you think should have no noise: essentially trying to enforce what art pieces should and should not have special designations based on your own philosophical reasons. Will people not be allowed to talk loudly there either? Or wear hats in the Temple? To what extent do we assign an art piece special consideration and ritual?

For me the people doing that photo shoot were, on an energetic/karmic level, the bastard offspring of a darkwad and the Public Relations bastard who came up with the idea for the photoshoot that Krug did on the playa.

Yes... well, for you. Given that whole "energetic/karmic" perspective, I bet they'd have some choice labels for you as well.

Remember: not everybody burns the way you do, and what people find sacred is not universal. Good luck with your complaint, but I don't think it's going to go anywhere.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Sandstorm » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:17 pm

BBadger: Thanks for taking the time to write your last post. You and I are not on different pages in regards to the physical and psychological space that The Temple occupies during the burn and in the community as a whole. I'm not suggesting that The Temple be made a sacred cow with rules to protect the sanctity that some perceive the structure to have. David Best himself has in the past voiced his displeasure that the internal physical space of The Temple has become a place where joyful noise and/or activity has become rare or seemingly unwelcome. One imortant detail that I inadvertently left out of my initial post in this thread was that the drone in question was hovering 3' - 4' off the ground and was half-way between the drone crew and the base of The Temple. This was not fly over activity that bothered me, it was physically invasive behavior that was undertaken by some people who were clueless on multiple levels.

As for my quoting the creator of that youtube video that I linked, I'm well aware of what the BMORG rules are regarding where and when drones can and cannot fly, as was the guy who created that video. My point in quoting him was simply to point out that that there was a drone operator who understood that it was more polite and respectful of his feelow burners to keep his fancy flying toy away from The Temple. End of story.

While I love what The Temple provides for the community I have a balanced emotional relationship with it. I took my paternal grandmother's ashes to The Temple in '11, which was my 4th burn. For many reasons my undertaking that task and journey was a cathartic one. Last year I volunteered as a Temple Guardian, which was a moving experience for me. I did not volunteer as a TG this year. At this point I'm not sure that I'll ever feel as strongly about either The Temple or being a TG. I love going to Burning Man because it challenges me and forces and allows me to grow on many levels. That reality does not exactly allow or encourage me to have an ossified or static relationship with any aspect of the burn, be it The Temple or Robot Heart or being part of a camp or village. That said, I think that during the burn The Temple provides a special space for the community and I don't think that it's unreasonable to want that space to be free of either (a) THUMP THUMP that's coming from half way across the playa from a sound system that was incorrectly physically alligned or (b) drones that are being operated at and from ground level from within the footprint of the grounds of The Temple.

Have a good day!
Sandstorm

Postby JayBobBoy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Awwwww damn....He's layin' down the smack....you gonna just sit there and take that!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:31 pm

bump
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Experiences at Burning Man