Hi from a burgin already getting ready for 2014!

Hi from a burgin already getting ready for 2014!

Postby bedlamdoll » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm

So, after years of hearing friends' stories about Burning Man, I've finally decided that I have to make 2014 my year where I will definitely make it to BRC. One of my sweeties has been going for 13(ish) years and hearing his stories and seeing his pictures has gotten me so excited to go I started working on seeing what gear I have and what gear I need while he was away this year.
I sew and do a variety of other craft type things, and I'm starting to work on ideas for costumes that will be fairly comfortable for the heat and layerable for when it gets cold; I've also got a couple ideas of things I might make to gift.

Things I'm most excited about: the challenge of getting prepared for the playa and finally getting to actually participate in this awesome thing so many people I know love.
Thing I'm most nervous about: trying not to stretch myself too thin-I have a bad habit of trying to do *all* the things and then burning myself out really quickly. Participating in some way but allowing myself time to enjoy my first time at the Burn.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll probably have a lot of questions along the way.
bedlamdoll

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Re: Hi from a burgin already getting ready for 2014!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Welcome to eplaya! This forum is a great resource, so be sure to search around - many of your questions will have been asked and answered before.

It's good that you already know about your tendency to try to do "all the things" - you have nearly a year to convince yourself that it's simply not possible with city like Black Rock.

Also, it's not necessary to bring physical gifts - your presence, excitement, and helping hands go a long way. Of course, as a crafty person you'll probably have tons of fun preparing one-of-a-kind items people will love.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:43 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby bedlamdoll » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:58 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Also, it's not necessary to bring physical gifts - your presence, excitement, and helping hands go a long way. Of course, as a crafty person you'll probably have tons of fun preparing one-of-a-kind items people will love.

I....have a crafting problem. I get really excited about some of these random ideas I have.
bedlamdoll

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Postby shroom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 am

Hello! Hope to see you in 2014!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Krokodyle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Greetings! Welcome to ePlaya and hope you can come home in 2014. :)

BoyScoutGirl wrote:It's good that you already know about your tendency to try to do "all the things" - you have nearly a year to convince yourself that it's simply not possible with city like Black Rock.

Absolutely 100% true. Not only is BRC incredibly huge, the environment itself easily wields Mother Nature's hand as a sometimes-not-so-gentle-reminder that you're over-extending yourself.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:33 am

Welcome!

Have you begun soaking in the threads on the clothing and costume forum? Lots of great ideas not just for layering, but also for MOOP testing (can you beat it on a wall? Hang it out a car window on the interstate and nothing falls off?) and potty maneuvering. While fancy is fine, when ya gotta pee in a porto in the dark and you are suspicious about the floor ... yikes. I love my Godzilla onesie, but I have to take it all the way off to go! And don't forget comfy camp clothes for lounging and potty runs when the ends of the spectrum of naked and fully dressed will not do.

Have fun!
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby tamarakay » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 am

Welcome! Food, water, shade. Those are the biggies. Pester the heck out of your friends! And please do post some pictures of your creations. We love crafters and most of us can relate to the addiction.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Return to Introduce Yourself!