To all you assholes with generators,

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Re: To all you assholes with generators,

Postby lemur » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:01 pm

with that said.

i will gladly camp in a nice cool RV with cold drinks if i somehow am able to afford it.

edit: and i will run a gennie whenever i want
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Shit, now I'm a 1%er without even having a genny!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:27 pm

All very interesting, but I want to go back to this placement thing...

If walk-in and Hushville are too far away... then she's sleeping near Esplanade? And complaining? Or am I misreading it some how?

Fucking elitists.
(Had to get that in. Solidarity with you three...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm

lemur wrote:with that said.

i will gladly camp in a nice cool RV with cold drinks if i somehow am able to afford it.

edit: and i will run a gennie whenever i want

You can! I have always had all the amenities - fridge/freezer, A/C, hot shower, etc.
RVs are the world's worst investment! They are expensive as hell new, but super cheap old!
I paid less for my top of the line in it's day truck camper than most burners pay to rent something for the week.

But the generators... yep, the quiet Hondas were expensive.
Even with those, and being camped at 2:45 & C, (loud zone) I still had a neighbor bitch about the generators! I was polite but basically refused to move or do a fucking thing because they were already there and he pitched his tent next to them. The solution was he moved and even parked a car in front of my trailer (with the Hondas on it).
Like it mattered!! There was a guy with one of those shitty loud sets right out in the open 50 feet away! You couldn't even hear mine!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:57 pm

RV's?? What a disaster that brings. Decided that a *good* tent and amenities skewed to said accomodations were well worth it. Ask Piney about Brunhilde... Yiiiii!!!

Gennies OTOH? Wouldn't be without at least one.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I must camp with those with gennies. Absolutely rely on electricity to move around. It's a horrible leash, but it's that or stay home.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm

heh heh, I invested in a small solar panel, deep cycle battery, charge controller, and a little inverter. It played my little music well. I do wish I had thought to bring a single 15W electric lightbulb. Start with the hardware, the software comes (synapses grow) after. At this rate, my generator could be about twenty years out.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm

This thread has drifted off the to shit.. I have a generator to power the house in case of power failure.. I also have a small generator for burning man.. The one for the house.. You could build a battle ship baffle around it.. It would still rattle your teeth at ten feet.. The BM generator has a padded tote for a baffle and you can not hear it at ten foot..

Some camper buy the big cheap generator on the way out of town.. They get to BM and light the thing off.. It's so damn loud they don't know what to do.. So the generator is place on the other side of there car.. Right in the middle of your camp.. Now is the time ask the BM Rangers to intervene before you kill the bastard..

Do not (as I have"once") go to there camp and show them how to start a new generator..

p.s. Elliot was nice enough to let me plug into his power to charge my rides..
Thank you again Elliot..
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 am

unjonharley wrote:p.s. Elliot was nice enough to let me plug into his power to charge my rides..
Thank you again Elliot..

I would have done that - you could have even plugged into the boat's power - but I'd have secretly reversed polarity to make you run backwards...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby bradtem » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 am

Elorrum wrote:heh heh, I invested in a small solar panel, deep cycle battery, charge controller, and a little inverter. It played my little music well. I do wish I had thought to bring a single 15W electric lightbulb. Start with the hardware, the software comes (synapses grow) after. At this rate, my generator could be about twenty years out.

The solar panel is certainly quieter and more pleasant. Sadly, a solar panel bought only for camping trips is not any greener than the generator. Not that you said it was, but I often run into people who think of solar for camping as a "green" solution. Solar panels need to be grid-tied, all the time, to be green. A solar panel taken out of a grid-tie installation to go camping and put back into a grid-tie when done is green.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Elorrum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 pm

bradtem wrote:
Elorrum wrote:heh heh, I invested in a small solar panel, deep cycle battery, charge controller, and a little inverter. It played my little music well. I do wish I had thought to bring a single 15W electric lightbulb. Start with the hardware, the software comes (synapses grow) after. At this rate, my generator could be about twenty years out.

The solar panel is certainly quieter and more pleasant. Sadly, a solar panel bought only for camping trips is not any greener than the generator. Not that you said it was, but I often run into people who think of solar for camping as a "green" solution. Solar panels need to be grid-tied, all the time, to be green. A solar panel taken out of a grid-tie installation to go camping and put back into a grid-tie when done is green.

It was really just a less expensive entry level price for me than a small generator. I only needed power for a light (which I forgot) and my music and USB chargeable items.

I can to the shit thread drifting at will, unjon.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Elorrum wrote:

I can to the shit thread drifting at will, unjon.

Huh?

Figjam said a big battery would power the swamp cooler all week.. He was right and had plenty left over.. I picked up a reconditioned battery for $35.. I had gotten my kid a 75 watt inverter to charge her phone.. It has a USB port and cost $14.. This a lead acid 12 volt.. To charge just jumper cables from the van 10-12 min.
unjonharley

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm

unjonharley wrote:Now is the time ask the BM Rangers to intervene before you kill the bastard..

This is key! Most of us don't have the talent, patience, or skills to deal with issues like this. That's what the Black Rock City Rangers are trained to do. If your initial discussion doesn't work, go get the Rangers...save your sanity. The Rangers document issues like this and if offending parties insist on continuing to be asshats, the Rangers can bring higher authority into the "discussion" and they w/b 86'd from the event.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination