On the Playa, need 1 ticket!

Looking for tickets? Post about it here.

On the Playa, need 1 ticket!

Postby samsauce » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 pm

I have cash in hand, trade, or both! In serious need of a ticket- please help!
Sam
(208)559-4064
or
(208)569-2923
samsauce

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hot Mayo

Re: On the Playa, need 1 ticket!

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:08 pm

wow.
Traveling with with Friends from Texas - you without a ticket.
In Gerlach - you without a ticket.
On the playa - you without a ticket.
So are your friends going to enjoy their ride taking you back to Reno, or are you going to risk getting arrested for dumping and loitering in Gerlach or the other communities along the way?
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby bruce_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:18 am

some "counter cultural" event BM is when you have people concerned about loitering basically out in the middle of nowhere. if leo's bother you in town just find a spot on some BLM land (pretty much everywhere) and don't forget to wave to all the "hippies" driving their expensive RV's and other "counter cultural" machinery lol
bruce_w

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: looking

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am

Ah, I see you understand nothing about the event.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 am

bruce_w wrote:some "counter cultural" event BM is when you have people concerned about loitering basically out in the middle of nowhere. if leo's bother you in town just find a spot on some BLM land (pretty much everywhere) and don't forget to wave to all the "hippies" driving their expensive RV's and other "counter cultural" machinery lol

They're "concerned" about loitering in town. And along the highway. BLM officers are there patrolling too (three guesses why). If you want, you can go read the BLM notices about the event. You obviously haven't read the 2013 Survial Guide - mandatory for all Burning Man Participants.

Free online. http://survival.burningman.com/wp-conte ... SG2013.pdf
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby bruce_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 pm

it seems like people are uptight wherever there are "homeless" or just people with "less." Rangers were asking people (probably at BM request) to leave the hwy area entrance to the gate - and I'm not sure why b/c that's BLM land and one can camp there for up to 14 days - provided BM didn't already reserve all the land within eyesight.

Funny how the same "liberals" act toward the less fortunate
bruce_w

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

To help safely manage the traffic, and to prevent people from getting close and thinking they can safely make it across the playa on foot to sneak in (you can't - there's perimeter patrol, tech equipment and officers, and they get ticked! They may hunt you down right away, or just watch you and make you think you're going to make it before they pounce on your ass! And to see if there's anyone on the inside of the fence gone out to wait for you that they can grab and evict...), there's a BLM exclusion zone order in effect, properly termed "Temporary Closure Area". You can download a copy in pdf form from the BLM Winnemucca District Office.
Last edited by Canoe on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canoe

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 pm

bruce_w wrote:it seems like people are uptight wherever there are "homeless" or just people with "less." Rangers were asking people (probably at BM request) to leave the hwy area entrance to the gate - and I'm not sure why b/c that's BLM land and one can camp there for up to 14 days - provided BM didn't already reserve all the land within eyesight.

This ain't a charity event. If you can't afford the ticket don't take the ride. That's life, get over it.

BTW, it's all BLM land, check the map and you'll see just how much of it is off limits for the BM event.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm

bruce_w wrote:it seems like people are uptight wherever there are "homeless" or just people with "less." Rangers were asking people (probably at BM request) to leave the hwy area entrance to the gate - and I'm not sure why b/c that's BLM land and one can camp there for up to 14 days - provided BM didn't already reserve all the land within eyesight.

It's appropriate that you've quoted the words "homeless" and "less". These aren't real homeless people, nor are they people with "less" in any real poverty sense. They just didn't find a ticket to attend some vacation event, and thought they could find one at the last moment while loitering and squatting around the event.

So I, for one, really don't have much sympathy here -- anymore than I have sympathy for those people who didn't get an XBox 360 after waiting in line. It's unfortunate that people mistakenly expected that the events surrounding the event last year applied this year as well. Hopefully, what ended up happening at this event dissuades future last-minute ticket squatters from attempting this kind of thing again.

As for BLM camping, there are lots of areas to camp far from the exclusion zone, and far from the towns in the area. These BM "refugees" should relocate there; not congregate around the gate area like a bunch of sleazy hotels around Disneyland.

Funny how you believe this is a "liberal" event, or that being "liberal" means allowing people to do whatever they want.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:46 pm

This. What BBadger said. Cubed.

Burning Man is indeed a "Liberal" event. Liberal amounts of booze, nakedness, fun, frolic, mischief, and dust. Even the staunchest "Conservative" could find something here. Conserve warmth, hydration, and water.

Labels. Get OVER them! Its Burning Man!
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby bruce_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:23 pm

BBadger wrote:It's appropriate that you've quoted the words "homeless" and "less". These aren't real homeless people, nor are they people with "less" in any real poverty sense. They just didn't find a ticket to attend some vacation event, and thought they could find one at the last moment while loitering and squatting around the event.

So I, for one, really don't have much sympathy here -- anymore than I have sympathy for those people who didn't get an XBox 360 after waiting in line. It's unfortunate that people mistakenly expected that the events surrounding the event last year applied this year as well. Hopefully, what ended up happening at this event dissuades future last-minute ticket squatters from attempting this kind of thing again.

Funny how you believe this is a "liberal" event, or that being "liberal" means allowing people to do whatever they want.

I'm still surprised at some of the hostility/ ill will towards the campers in gerlach. The general reaction is similar to how many of the homeowners in places like west LA feel when homeless people are in "their" neighborhood. The campers might not be homeless but just for the simple fact they are outside the gates puts them in a underclass of sorts even though their living conditions might not be much different that some of the people @ BM. Just one more example of the hypocrisy known as BM. But then again what do you expect from an event where most of the participants don't even know how to share community bikes..........the ideal of BM and reality seem quite different
bruce_w

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:31 pm

bruce_w wrote:
BBadger wrote:It's appropriate that you've quoted the words "homeless" and "less". These aren't real homeless people, nor are they people with "less" in any real poverty sense. They just didn't find a ticket to attend some vacation event, and thought they could find one at the last moment while loitering and squatting around the event.

I'm still surprised at some of the hostility/ ill will towards the campers in gerlach. The general reaction is similar to how many of the homeowners in places like west LA feel when homeless people are in "their" neighborhood. The campers might not be homeless but just for the simple fact they are outside the gates puts them in a underclass of sorts even though their living conditions might not be much different that some of the people @ BM. Just one more example of the hypocrisy known as BM. But then again what do you expect from an event where most of the participants don't even know how to share community bikes..........the ideal of BM and reality seem quite different

Hey buddy, I got an idea. If you hate it so much don't go. Then you won't have any reason to keep on with your incessent bitching and whining.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby bruce_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Hey buddy, I got an idea. If you hate it so much don't go. Then you won't have any reason to keep on with your incessent bitching and whining.

I didn't say I "hate it" - I like what BM is trying to do and most of the people I've met are cool. But some of the hypocrisy is disconcerting to say the least. Like the recent brew-ha over the campers in gerlach, some burners seem to be really uptight/ selfish people. Probably the same people who lock their community bike and try to make a buck off everyone i.e. many of the "theme camp" operators.

So yes, some of these inconsistencies bug me a little.
bruce_w

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

It's wanna-be burners who hang out in Gerlach or camp along the highway who are very visibly not being good neighbors. This is among the type of behavior that we're constantly warned against as it gives ammunition to those that want to see BM scaled back or shut down completely.
When you choose to be a dick and inflict yourself in a negatively regarded way upon Black Rock City's neighbors, you're wearing out our welcome, and because it is what's visible, it's perceived as representing all Burners.
BLM can pull the permit at any time.
So thanks for being part of the problem.

But if you'd read what Burners are supposed to read about the event before they go, you'd know all that.
Canoe

Postby moonrise » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I forget their names but what about the redneck kids who have a fervent religious friend who owns land right alongside the BM exclusion zone who ride dirt bikes in and out of the event like it's a free wiiiide open zone...yep, truthism. Shame on me for squealing :oops: but anyhow...maybe you could meet them and well....it is America! Haha...fuck our day! (You shoulda planned and maybe done the low income ticket thing?) Oh well, too late now....good luck. Create art, find your regional, plan, maybe get wealthy (the easiest way into the event) and on and on.... And as for the "for profit" theme camp operators, trust me, they DO exist! Fuck their day haaaaard, fuckers they truly are. Over n out. :lol:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 pm

bruce_w wrote:I'm still surprised at some of the hostility/ ill will towards the campers in gerlach. The general reaction is similar to how many of the homeowners in places like west LA feel when homeless people are in "their" neighborhood.

Don't even try to compare the situation here with homeless people. These aren't homeless people. These aren't even ordinary "campers". These are ticket-less squatters who have chosen to show up anyway to squat and loiter around the outskirts of the event, being a burden on neighboring towns. These people also have no interest in camping in the area; they're just waiting for a "miracle ticket" so they can enter the event.

The campers might not be homeless but just for the simple fact they are outside the gates puts them in a underclass of sorts even though their living conditions might not be much different that some of the people @ BM.

The campers are not in an underclass anymore than anyone who did not receive a ticket. Just because these people stupidly decided to show up anyway without any tickets should not earn them any more sympathy or a special designation of being an "underclass." Rather, it should be quite the opposite: these are a bunch of entitled event-goers, who have decided to selfishly squat and loiter because they're not responsible enough and go home or elsewhere.

These people are problems. By association, their impact on neighboring communities is a direct reflection on the event and its organization. What will probably result is that there will be even more law enforcement to keep these kinds of people away, making life difficult for everyone on their way to the event.

Just one more example of the hypocrisy known as BM. But then again what do you expect from an event where most of the participants don't even know how to share community bikes..........the ideal of BM and reality seem quite different

The hypocrisy here is preaching charity by forcing that burden on someone else. The event is well-serviced not having these squatters disrupting the event within its borders -- SO DON'T FEED THE BEARS.

If you can't responsibly obtain tickets, you shouldn't be allowed to attend in the first place.

BBadger

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Well said BBadger
JK
jkisha

Postby bruce_w » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

The argument about the campers in Gerlach is rather petty - seriously. There are like a 100 other things I would be concerned about first. And as far as being "good neighbors" if you buy a house bordering BLM land is it that unreasonable that someday someone might camp there?

Though it does kind-of remind me of the occupy movement......I wonder if the local businesses will start complaining about increased shop-lifting, people using their bathrooms as showers, ect ect. I'm usually for the underdog and I too thought ticket prices would fall this year and it is plausible how someone could get stuck in Gerlach. LOL I did have a back-up plan that has worked nicely but I guess a lot of people really thought they could make it in by now.
bruce_w

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 pm

The Campers in Gerlach argument is rather petty until its your backyard that is hosting a hippie-fest. Then it doesnt seem so petty anymore. Somebody pisses on grandmas begonias, or a little tyke gets an eyeful of burner tits, and now you have a call to arms, and pissed-off locals, and a few morons spoil it all for everyone else.

The BMorg has gone out of its way to fence, patrol and provide a big buffer zone to keep the locals happy. Anyone with a ticket gets in. No ticket? Get the hell out of the way and stop being an inconsiderate idiot. All it takes is ONE JACKASS to ruin it for 67,999 others.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Return to 2013 Tickets Wanted