Power Packs - Yes or No

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Power Packs - Yes or No

Postby Playadirector » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 am

Hello Lovelies!

I am a birgin and thinking about buying this to ensure I can jump start my Camper Van if needed and have a little extra power for charging camera, maybe plugging in a heater. So, those of you smarter than me, what do you think?

https://www.greenlivingforu.com/energiz ... w-inverter
Playadirector

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Power Packs - Yes or No

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 am

To small for a heater and it doesn't say how many amp hours of power it carries.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

I use the duracell brand & it's good for little stuff. ( small fan, & charging cell ) I use a 30w solar panel to keep it charged.
no good for a heater. if your usually cold you might consider one of those Buddy propane heaters.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am

That thing is probably fine for charging up your camera, jump-starting your car, or other low-power stuff. Don't use it for heating; that will require 1000W or so for anything substantial. Hell, nobody should be using electricity for heat generation on the playa.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Asquared » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 am

i imagine you can buy jumper cables for peanuts compared to that - surely anyone will be more than willing to give you a jump in the event your battery dies.
extra batteries for my camera were $17, just buy two.
and if you get cold, find a snug bug (or bring an extra blanket!).

i just saved you $100. you're welcome.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Burning Since: 2013

Postby nixiebunny » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 pm

You can charge any USB device directly from your car's lighter socket with the right adapter. You can buy a $20 inverter at an auto parts store to charge an AC thing in the same manner. Just remember to run the engine for a while to recharge the car battery.

Those of us who power 12V stuff on the playa all week long use solar panels. I'm bringing a setup that my brother built for a robotics competition, with several 12V SLA batteries and a charge controller, along with a 40W solar panel. It will run the pumps for our solar water heater and our shower spray handle. Overkill, but it already exists so it's free to me.

If you don't like running the car engine, you can get a solar panel to keep the battery fresh. These are available at Harbor Freight etc.
--David Forbes
nixiebunny

Postby Colonel Monk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 am

I must not have much to do replying to all these near zombie threads - time to get busy. The reality, is that I have the burn on my mind, and it's 10 deg outside (fucking sick of this winter!!)

Anyway...

If you are worried about cold, I'm guessing you haven't camped much. Not to worry, it's pretty rare for a night in the low 40s, and I don't think this has happened in a few years now. If you are in an RV, they tend to hold some heat from the day time anyway.

Pretty much any sleeping bag and an extra blanket will get you there. And if you're worried, just bring another blanket/sleeping bag. No need at all to bring a heater.

When you go to bed you'll be exhausted, so just get in your bag and go the fuck to sleep. When you wake up (unless you're mental like some folks getting up a 6-8am like you do in the default world) it'll be 70 degree or warmer by the time you wake up and you'll be sweating.

CM
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Actually some of the best times on the playa are early in the morning when the ravers are passed out.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 am

It is pretty serene at that time of night/day. All you need is some warm clothing though, not a heater. Hell, by the time it is coldest, the morning is starting.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Power & Illumination