Radical Entitlement: The Shadow Principle?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Radical Entitlement: The Shadow Principle?

Postby tummler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Reading requests for gifted tickets, etc. confused my brain a little.

Isn't the nature of a true, meaningful gift that the gift is freely given? Asking for a gift feels like it changes the dynamic of the gifter-recipient relationship into something else. And, giving something (a thing or non-thing) that has strings and whatnot attached to it isn't really a gift.

I'm not calling anyone out here. I think I am looking for help untangling my vocabulary.
tummler

Re: Radical Entitlement: The Shadow Principle?

Postby DrewDubious » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 am

Yep, your absolutely correct.

End of story :)
DrewDubious

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:02 am

tummler wrote:Reading requests for gifted tickets, etc. confused my brain a little.

Isn't the nature of a true, meaningful gift that the gift is freely given? Asking for a gift feels like it changes the dynamic of the gifter-recipient relationship into something else. And, giving something (a thing or non-thing) that has strings and whatnot attached to it isn't really a gift.

I'm not calling anyone out here. I think I am looking for help untangling my vocabulary.

What else would you come to expect from a bunch of useless stoned begging hippies? But the fact remains you are spot-on accurate.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:What else would you come to expect from a bunch of useless stoned begging hippies?

I need to save this and just cut-and-paste to reply to about half the playa topics lately!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby DrewDubious » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:What else would you come to expect from a bunch of useless stoned begging hippies?

Hey HEY! Being stoned has -nothing- to do with it!
DrewDubious

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah, some people you mention gifting and charity and generosity and they say, "great, what can I get", they don't grasp that there is another dimension to this, the side were you prove your vitality and worth by giving, not expecting and taking. For me, gifting, charity, etc. is first about what I can do, not what others can do for me. It's like confusion over a definition they don't grasp. Give means get. They still believe in Santa Claus, apparently.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby BurnerBunny » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 am

Interesting theory on radical entitlement. Beggars not understanding that if they first try themselves, then someone along the way might decide to help them without being asked, but if you skip that whole try part... problemo!

I think another aspect of your radical entitlement theory is sparkleponies. s'ponies believe that their beauty is their gift, so it is only right that others should flock to help them in kind.

Another aspect of radical entitlement is present at the gate. I bought a ticket, therefore I WILL get in to this event regardless of how many gross violations are in the back of my truck.

radical entitlement is everywhere! Luckily there is plenty of radical knocking-people-back-to-reality™ to go around too.
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby DrewDubious » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 am

Good points, Bunny.

I feel like if people saw the needy making more of an effort and less of a fuss, things would turn out alot better for them. Of course, I could just be a sucker for believing in the laws of positive attraction...

...I think not, though. :)
DrewDubious

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Of course this is the Eplaya though, this is where burners go to shill sarcasm and wit in exchange for mostly shitty advice.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 pm

It's the 11th Principle, Radical Self-Entitlement. Should anyone come to Alchemy this year, Distrikt 11 will be there, with even more barbed wire for us, and a lot less apple pie for you.

"Man is disturbed not by things, but by the views he takes of them. Distrikt 11 is the only camp for devotees of the 11th Principle and 10 Sacred Commandments. If you don’t know what it is, then clearly you do not belong.

Our art is better than yours. Our catheters are cleaner. Unsere Lust is timmer Traum. Our bacon is kosher and our DJs only play and we know exactly where our dragons are."

Or there's also the 11th Principle per a pin I was gifted last year: "fuck that guy."
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Politics & Philosophy