Camps safe for recovery folks

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Camps safe for recovery folks

Postby Daisygirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

Hi friends,
My roomie and I are looking for a camp to be part of that is clean and sober friendly. Any suggestions?

Love you all,
Rachel
Rachel Boyer
Daisygirl

Re: Camps safe for recovery folks

Postby Conduit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 am

Rachel -

I camp with Anonymous Village which is totally sober. I know there are others too but am not aware of their names. Being sober on the playa is a wonderful experience! If you want to connect with our camp we also have a Facebook group (Anonymous Village)...

Conduit
Conduit

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 am

Hokey Pokey _____ (Sorry, I've forgotten the third word, experience?) And, of course, Anonymous Village. Or look through the descriptions of theme camps here and contact those that fit.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BeeWeeDee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Last year I camped solo and stopped by Anonymous. Just knowing they were there helped and I also found a camp (camp stella??) that was set up for meetings at various times. Burning sober was really a gift.
"If you embrace change you'll love it forever." - Ratty
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Here you can find some eplayans talking about recovery, so you might be able to catch one of these fine persons, if you need to.

Of course, I'm not part of that group, however, I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't find it hard to not drink. Yes, there's a lot of drugs and drinking, but it's not mandatory, and that a lot of people don't, because it's more fun that way...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm

You've probably seen these tips on the main site:

Sober on the Playa

I found several sober camps by going to the 2013 Theme Camps link on the main site and searching by the word "Sober". Two of the results weren't relevant, but four were.

Run Free camp
Run Free is a clean and sober Burning Man camp for folks whose common goal is enlargement of spiritual life through new adventures in being human and living life to the fullest.
http://www.runfreecamp.com
Hometown: Alameda
URL: http://www.runfreecamp.com

Camp Stella
Camp Stella is a theme camp of diverse queer and queer friendly folks who have agreed to experience Burning Man clean and sober for the duration of the event. Some of us are active in AA and other 12 step programs, others are not.
http://campstella.wordpress.com
Hometown: San Francisc
URL: http://campstella.wordpress.com

Anonymous Village
We are a 12-step community who co-create a clean and sober environment for like-minded burners to have a safe place to camp. There are meetings from many different fellowships, from sunrise to midnight, and chips to mark years and/or burns. There are nightly excursions to check out the city and/or dance all night. We are not a glum lot.
Hometown: Black Rock City, NV
Hometown: 4th Dimension
URL: http://www.burnanon.org/

Hokey Pokey Come Back
Hokey Pokey Come Back is a clean and sober camp for the Friends of Bill W. We are open 24 hours a day for anyone who would like to drop in. Friends of Bill W. meeting everyday at 5:00 PM. Dance The Hokey Pokey at noon everyday and turn yourself around-all ages welcome.
Hometown: Chico
URL: https://www.facebook.com/hokeypokey.camp
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am

I have the same sad feelings seeing this discussion as I do seeing the ones looking for "gay friendly" camps.

:|

Honestly, there are assholes everywhere and BRC is no exception, though my experience has been that the good peeps far outnumber the bad, out there. And one of the beauties of BRC is a wide tolerance for diversity.

Of course you should have a camping buddy who will notice if you need water, who will report you missing if you don't show up to pack out, and in general be a friend to you. You may want that special person to be someone who mirrors your strengths and weaknesses, though, I would not advise that. My group includes a really wide range of skills distributed among friends for whom sobriety, gender, appearance etc are all quite irrelevant.

So, why do you think you need a camp full of people who are just like you? Here is your opportunity to expand your horizons. Why hide?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 am

While basically being in the same camp as you on this issue, MDF, I concede that some people may just need to be in a place where there's no liquor, and that the op knows himself better than you or I do...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:05 am

it's not about feeling accepted as a sober person, it's about making sure you don't drink. My sobriety is my job, not anybody else's, but If I was newly sober, I'd want to make sure I had somewhere to go if I felt I was nearing trouble, and know there would be like minded folks there. I'd question whether Burning Man was just too full of temptation, and if I wanted to put myself in such a slippery place. I know my sobriety is relevant to those I'm camping with, I hope so anyway. Last year, I was burning 10 days after my mother's death, and I really wanted to get drunk, and didn't realize how close I was to doing that. I didn't want to feel the way I was feeling, and I knew there was a quick and available way to change that. After 19 years, it did surprise me. My guard was down. I often want to drink, usually it is just a fleeting desire, but sometimes it's something that demands my full attention. Burning Man, and drinking parties in general can feel like a mine field to me, when I don't really expect it. I don't live in fear, but part of me is always on guard. I make plans and back up plans to be able to get home safely, or early, and to have a safe harbor. If I'm uncomfortable, I don't stay. There's too much fun to be had to spend my time poking at a sore tooth. I'm glad last year I was able to tell that to my neighbors and have them say, "no, you don't really want to. We are not going to get you drunk."
It's good to have a plan when it feels like this.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:50 am

Well I certainly understand wanting a safe place to go where you find people you trust to encourage you to take good care of yourself. This is what everybody needs out there, gosh, the environment can kill you faster than alcohol ever will.

And I understand that remaining sober where you can see other people drinking (sometimes to excess) can be really difficult. But it doesn't also have to be isolating, though I can see where those in early recovery might find that helpful. Best wishes to you all.

(((Elorrum))) my dear, it's good to know you can mix with the general population and stay who you want to be, even under great stress. 8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the 2013 camps board, since that's a better fit. Others have already posted great suggestions.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Risky » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:41 pm

My husband has actually only been sober at BM, and I have visited several of these meetings with him on playa.
It is refreshing to enjoy time with people who attend burning man for reasons other than the party
And to be among people who talk about things that are real - fighting for a better quality of life, overcoming weaknesses, making better choices for themselves, etc.
It's easy to find a bar and wasted people at bm; every corner, really.
It's as fulfilling of a challenge to find a group mindful of the moment while sober.
Risky

Postby Erin- Actuelle Cowgirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi - if anyone is interested in camping at Anonymous Village, you can contact me at learn_thompson@hotmail.com
Erin- Actuelle Cowgirl

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby Conduit » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Well I certainly understand wanting a safe place to go where you find people you trust to encourage you to take good care of yourself. This is what everybody needs out there, gosh, the environment can kill you faster than alcohol ever will.

And I understand that remaining sober where you can see other people drinking (sometimes to excess) can be really difficult. But it doesn't also have to be isolating, though I can see where those in early recovery might find that helpful. Best wishes to you all.

(((Elorrum))) my dear, it's good to know you can mix with the general population and stay who you want to be, even under great stress. 8) 8) 8)

MDF - I know you are only trying to be supportive and welcoming to all when you talk about isolating, but I'd like to add to this post so that perhaps someone sober can read my own opinion on the subject. I fucking love to party!!! I guess that's why I'm sober. I mean I really love to party, dance, dress up in costume, talk to strangers and party. Burning Man intensifies life, that the great part. I definitely did not get sober to sit on the sideline or live a boring life. Having done the work and having had the obsession lifted, I feel that attending Burning Man is a celebration of my freedom from substance. Now that being said, here are my 2 cents on the sober camp thing.
Life is life for sober folks or normal drinkers. I, as a sober person, have learned to utilize a set a tools that help me live a productive happy life. One of the basics is: don't drink, no matter what. I'm sure that if you are sober and have attended meetings there are multiple phrases that will come to mind, our jargon if you will. Staying in a sober camp works for me because it's nice to hear that stuff flying around camp as a reminder. I am REALLY good at forgetting the harm that came when I drank so to me, it's just a gentile reminder. When I out in the default word, I know when I need a meeting or to call a sober member of my fellowship. I can feel it in my stomach. If you are sober and new to the playa, it works the same as in normal life. Sometimes you just gotta check in and remind yourself that you have a connection to a higher power, whatever the fuck that happens to be.

MDF and others, it's as hard for me to understand how you can leave a beer only half done as I'm sure it is for you to understand that sober people camping together is not isolating. Please come see us at Anonymous Village as anyone is welcome to attend open meetings. I found the spiritual answers I spent my life searching for in the "rooms" and am always happy to share. See you guys on the playa!
Conduit

Return to 2013 Theme Camps