Filling up on water in Reno Airport?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Filling up on water in Reno Airport?

Postby Alderaan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 am

Hi all, :D

I'm flying into Reno and taking the Burner Express bus from there, and space/weight is at a premium for me. I'm thinking I might be able to save space/weight on the flight by bringing water bags and filling them up at the airport.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd imagine the airport is probably packed every year and I'm hesitant on betting my whole water supply on the assumption that there will be a public source I can use for 10+ gallons. Any recommendations?
Alderaan

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Filling up on water in Reno Airport?

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 am

thats not what the bathrooms are for.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby littlebird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 am

I don't have any recommendations for you, but I will say that filling up water bags in an airport bathroom sounds like a shitty idea, if only because you'll then be drinking excessive amounts of water from an airport bathroom for a week.
littlebird

Camp Name: Tone Age

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 am

I'm not sure I'd be drinking water out of any public bathroom or fountain anytime soon.

And as a Burner, you don't want to be doing that and affecting our community's reputation.

In Reno, you can buy water in jugs/bottles at Savemart, Walmart or Costco, and others. Some for Fernley.
At Reno's Savemart Keystone (like the airport, also a Rideshare location), in recent years there is usually a bulk water machine there, for filling your water containers.

Additionally, if you're renting or your Rideshare is willing to stop, you can get your water in Gerlach.
see viewtopic.php?f=276&t=65387#p958157
Follow the Preparation link in my signature, then on to "water: vital info" on the right, for other water resources.

I believe the Burner Express is supposed to stop at one of the stores (Savemart Keystone?). You'll be swtiching from a coach bus to a shuttle bus in Gerlach, but I don't think you can count on hitting the community centre for getting water.
Last edited by Canoe on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:30 am

From the Burner Express FAQ:
Q. What about food and water?
A. Each bus is accompanied by a truck that will carry your gear into Black Rock City. You'll still need to bring all your food with you. For an extra fee, some of the buses will stop at a grocery store in Reno for people who need to finish their shopping.

(emphasis mine)

Make sure you're on one of the buses that's stopping for shopping, pick up your water at the grocery store. Contact Burner Express to figure that part out.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 am

Man you're fast Eric.
I just came back to edit my post with that.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Alderaan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:39 am

My flight, which I booked when my travel plans included a ride with some Redditors, gets in at 11:40 AM Monday. The only Burner Express with a stop leaves at 12 noon. :shock:

so if everything goes according to plan, I can stop for water at SaveMart. If anything goes slightly wrong, I'm left in the lurch. I'm thinking I might bring a few gallons on the plane, and if I miss the first bus, I can fill up a few spare gallons in the airport. And hey, worst case, there's always Arctica! :lol:
Alderaan

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 am

Alderaan wrote:...If anything goes slightly wrong, I'm left in the lurch.... I can fill up a few spare gallons in the airport ...

You're not the only one on the bus that will be needing water...
No. No water at the airport.
If you miss the bus, make sure your Rideshare will stop somewhere, be it Reno, Fernley or Gerlach (watch the hours in Gerlach, Reno & Fernley will have something 24/7).

Alderaan wrote:...I'm thinking I might bring a few gallons on the plane...

What decade are you traveling in?
Checked baggage has weight limits & costs, and sealed containers are known to break open with the altitude due to pressure.
Buying enough water at the vendor prices once you're past security is nuts, and you don't want to be drinking bathroom water, assuming they'll allow that, or allow that as carry on?
you nuts?
Canoe

Postby Alderaan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 am

If you miss the bus,

I forgot to mention, there's an express at 2 that I can take.

Checked baggage has weight limits & costs,

Luckily, I'm flying Southwest which is awesome with checked bags.

and sealed containers are known to break open with the altitude due to pressure.

Liquids don't expand with pressure.... maybe you should've listened in Chem more? :roll:

Buying enough water at the vendor prices once you're past security is nuts, and you don't want to be drinking bathroom water, assuming they'll allow that, or allow that as carry on?
you nuts?

Checking some water and then filling up my droms past security in Chicago seems like a good idea. I think I'm going to do that. Seems like an awful far distance for water to travel, but I'm not sure how else to ensure that I can bring enough.
Alderaan

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 am

Alderaan wrote:
and sealed containers are known to break open with the altitude due to pressure.

Liquids don't expand with pressure.... maybe you should've listened in Chem more? :roll:

The hold isn't pressurized. Did you get all the air out? What's dissolved in the water and what happens at altitude.
Have fun!
Canoe

Postby Alderaan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:55 am

I hadn't considered that, but from what I'm reading, cargo holds are pressurized on commercial airlines, and that a nylon drom with a screwcap would be adequate for transporting water in the hold.

Will probably double-Ziploc just in case
Alderaan

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 am

so youre willing to possibly fuck up other peopels stuff with your water if youre wrong ?

flying in with water is a major logistics fail.

...filling up in the airport bathroom is too!

maybe youre trying to do stuff too much stuff in to one day?

how about switching yer flight to arrive one day earlier.. get a $40 reno hotel room and youll have plenty of time to do all of this stuff.
Last edited by lemur on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemur

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:01 am

and southwest rocks on flight changes..

they are free, all ya pay is the difference in fare, if there isnt one.. you get a refund of the difference.
lemur

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Traveling with water on an airplane? Do you realize how much 10 gallons of water weighs? About 84 lbs. What a PITA carrying it to check-in and pickup at baggage claim...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Rice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Alderaan wrote:My flight, which I booked when my travel plans included a ride with some Redditors, gets in at 11:40 AM Monday. The only Burner Express with a stop leaves at 12 noon. :shock:

so if everything goes according to plan, I can stop for water at SaveMart. If anything goes slightly wrong, I'm left in the lurch. I'm thinking I might bring a few gallons on the plane, and if I miss the first bus, I can fill up a few spare gallons in the airport. And hey, worst case, there's always Arctica! :lol:

Please, do not try to take water on the plane!! You certainly will not be allowed to take it as carry on, and if you put it in your luggage it will probably get you red-flagged (aka - negative TSA experience). Basically NO airport security TSA check will allow you to take water or any other liquids of that quantity. {eek}

I fly down to California/Reno from Canada every year, it may seem like a serious challenge -- it really isn't. You will be able to stop and get water: In Reno, Fernley, Empire and finally in Gerlach. (plus maybe some other places I have missed)

Take a breath, relax... It is easier than it seems :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 pm

they wont know its water until they rip the bag apart and test it and ...... and......

you probably dont want that experience.

they probably dont see too many bags full of 10 gallons of liquid in them.
lemur

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Alderaan wrote:And hey, worst case, there's always Arctica! :lol:

This is actually your first logical idea, and you should probably plan on this (small bills!). Plenty of people use their ice melt for drinking, just don't put it in a chest where people are putting food that may rot, or their grubby paws. Bring a collapsible water container to put the ice in, let it melt, done.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby StevenGoodman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm

You don't need a collapsible container to get drinking water from your ice from Arctica. Just use really good zip bags. Split your ice between a couple of bags. Of course, you need two sets of bags, one set for ice and one set for the melted ice!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby 9ah » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:40 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Traveling with water on an airplane? Do you realize how much 10 gallons of water weighs? About 84 lbs. What a PITA carrying it to check-in and pickup at baggage claim...

Last year my bag was trapped behind the belongings of some asshat that decided to check a heavy ass cooler. It wouldn't move up the ramp that drops the luggage on the carousel. Ramp gate closed... I then had to contact someone at baggage check who had a tech go down below and reopen the ramp gate and shove the asshats cooler up so that my little bag (that I had to gate check, I hate checking luggage because of asshats) could make it onto the carousel. Not a fun way to start a trip to the burn.

Moral of the story, don't be an asshat when traveling! You can inconvenience others!!!!
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 am

Are you sure that asshats don't simply inconvenience others by mere existence?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby DrewDubious » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 am

I think all you guys just got trolled. :wink:
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby 9ah » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:53 am

I have faith that some can change... (I hope I'm right)
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 pm

You have to admit it's a pretty outrageous troll. A lot more creativity in it.

Now the Burning Naked thread. That's the sort of trolling that gives the trolled a serious hangover. And people keep bumping it.

What...

... ever
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby DrewDubious » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You have to admit it's a pretty outrageous troll. A lot more creativity in it.

Now the Burning Naked thread. That's the sort of trolling that gives the trolled a serious hangover. And people keep bumping it.

What...

... ever

People burn nakie? :oops:
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:55 pm

DrewDubious wrote:I think all you guys just got trolled. :wink:

I think you underestimate the power of stupid caused by overwhelmed by so much new.
Canoe

Return to Food & Drink