Tarps for hexayurt floors

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tarps for hexayurt floors

Postby elijacob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm building my first hexayurt this year. I was thinking of getting a nice canvas tarp for the floor, but that's about 3 times the price of a poly tarp.

Anyone have any comfy but cheaper alternatives to canvas tarp? Do people feel that a poly tarp is plenty comfortable?

Thanks
elijacob

Burning Since: 2007

Re: Tarps for hexayurt floors

Postby otakup0pe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

We had a shag rug on top of the poly tarp with a smaller rug in the entrance. We got both on craigslist for dirt cheap.

Personally I do not like the feeling of the poly tarp on bare feet.
otakup0pe

Burning Since: 2012

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 pm

ditto, cheap tarp but old rug that my rabbits chewed to go over it.
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby slvrnmph » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Rug over cheap tarp for sure. You'll want to tape the tarp to the walls of the yurt inside and outside (in case of rain - it does rain on the playa sometimes). With a cheap tarp you can cut it off the yurt at the end of the week and don't need to worry about not cutting the tarp. I get a new cheap tarp each year.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby deal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Speaking of tape, I too are building my first HY & wondering where I get the 6" & 3" clear tape from?
deal

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: wizzards of oz

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:30 pm

[quote="deal"]Speaking of tape, I too are building my first HY & wondering where I get the 6" & 3" clear tape from?[/quote]

Try goodbuyguys.com. It's where I buy mine. I don't know of any place that sells it off the shelf
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby BurnerBunny » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32 pm

deal wrote:Speaking of tape, I too are building my first HY & wondering where I get the 6" & 3" clear tape from?

I ordered it online months ago from Goodbuyguys.com

I hear the 6" bifilament tape is hard to come by in stores, I hope it's not too late to order it online.
BurnerBunny

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:29 am

Carpet is pimping on the playa, but it's heavy on the way there, and even heavier on the way back. First two years I used a heavy duty 24x24 silver tarp, but driving stakes through it, dropping things on it, and so on decimated it after two years, so this year I'm using an el cheapo blue tarp. It keeps my spills and crap off the playa, and the playa out of my bed, and if I ruin it, no big deal. It also leaves you the option of putting carpet down over it where you want to cushyness.
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

Postby bprobst » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Carpet is a great idea. Regarding filament tape, does anyone know how much 3" and 6" is needed for the H15 (10') hexayurt?
bprobst

Camp Name: Dr. LeTaudry

Postby BurnerBunny » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Carpet is pimping on the playa, but it's heavy on the way there, and even heavier on the way back. First two years I used a heavy duty 24x24 silver tarp, but driving stakes through it, dropping things on it, and so on decimated it after two years, so this year I'm using an el cheapo blue tarp. It keeps my spills and crap off the playa, and the playa out of my bed, and if I ruin it, no big deal. It also leaves you the option of putting carpet down over it where you want to cushyness.

this isn't very shaggy carpet, it's pretty flat indoor/outdoor weave. hard to describe but it doesn't have any fibers poking up like most carpets, everything is woven down if that makes sense. Hoping to shake some of the dust out before brining it back, but with any luck it'll absorb less playa than a normal carpet. Cute avatar btw 8)
BurnerBunny

Postby elijacob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:24 am

thanks everyone for your feedback. looking forward to seeing you, or not, on the playa. have a great burn.

and, @melodiousdirge, i can understand the spills in your hexayurt, but you take craps there, too? that's kinda dirty, but whatever you're into is cool.

(couldn't figure out how to do that thing where someone else's post appears inside my post...)
elijacob

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm

elijacob wrote:thanks everyone for your feedback. looking forward to seeing you, or not, on the playa. have a great burn.

and, @melodiousdirge, i can understand the spills in your hexayurt, but you take craps there, too? that's kinda dirty, but whatever you're into is cool.

(couldn't figure out how to do that thing where someone else's post appears inside my post...)

Ah. There's a quote button on the upper right of each post, AND you have to not have "disable bbcode" checked.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ducky62 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 am

I bought 2 rolls of 6" and one of 4 inch. Got here in 2 days.

http://www.findtape.com/product328/JVCC ... dx=0&tid=0
Ducky62

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Mudskipper Urban Decay Cafe

Postby SquirrelHead » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 am

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 am

I get the 14x48 for $20 from the local billboard place, so check localy first. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby geospyder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:06 am

Semi related post - I have a heavy duty silver/black tarp that I'll be using for the floor of my monkey hut. I'm thinking that I'll place it black side down - silver side up. Good/bad decision? Silver side up might be blinding but black side up might be absorbing the heat. Open to suggestions :?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby geospyder » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Moot point - just noticed the floor tarp (10x12) is silver/silver. Think I'll put the silver side down and the silver side up :D
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Return to Shelter & Camping