Climbing Wall Interactive art for 2013

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Climbing Wall Interactive art for 2013

Postby Brianmitchtay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a climbing wall and bring it to burning man this year. I have the basic look of what I'd like to do, but I lack some knowledge of the finer points of structural engineering, so I'm not sure how build the frame to put in on. If anyone has any ideas and could help, that'd be awesome. Feedback is gold to me at this point :)

Here are some pictures of what I'm looking to do Image

Also, if you live in the Salt Lake area and would like to help build a climbing wall and bring it BM to showcase the art of route setting this year (you could call it vertical dance choreography), PM me. I'd love to have more hands on this!
Brianmitchtay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Swish Embassy

Re: Interactive art for 2013

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Also, if you live in the Salt Lake area and would like to help build a climbing wall and bring it BM to showcase the art of route setting this year (you could call it vertical dance choreography)

Is that related to the horizontal mambo?
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Interactive art for 2013

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 am

Ropes or bouldering? Looks too high to do without ropes. Yes?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Climbing Wall Interactive art for 2013

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 am

You really need to talk to an engineer. You are transferring the overturning forces from the top of the overhang to the bottom and transferring tipping, including wind forces across the "L".

The framing lumber will be drying and shrinking so take that into account in your fasteners. Some fasteners rust, definitely in 2 burns, not sure about 1. Inspect the hold attachments for loosening regularly. Camp by the installation to keep people from messing with it.

The holds will get dusty. No idea how that will affect the grip.

There have been walls at the event, sure you can find them and get on the ground info.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

We built a climbing wall for our Esplanade camp in 2009. My husband and I are by no means structural engineers, and the thing held up just fine and got brought out for a second time the next year. Ours was much simpler than yours, though; it was in the form of an X, with no overhangs.

We made all of our own holds, which was time consuming but also really fun. The holds get dusty, but nobody really cares. We left tools out there and folks had a great time setting their own routes, which sort of took care of that "watch for loose holds" problem as pretty much everyone who climbed on it had no problem with fixing something if they caught a spinner. Bring tape so you can tape off stuff that gets stripped out and can't be pulled easily on-playa.

If you have questions about anything you can PM me.

Wonton
dangerpuss

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

I would say:
1. Scale down.
2. Experiment with this quote: "When two seemingly disparate elements are imaginatively poised, put in apposition in new and unique ways, startling discoveries often result."

Quality or quantity? One of the two is easier to transport. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby finchplucker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey there! We built a wall for 2011, we were Camp UP. I would agree...scale down. We looked at making something much bigger than what we ended up with, and I promise, had we gone any bigger it wouldn't have come together.

Here's an article with video that we just published: http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/vie ... mbing-camp

and here's our Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/879 ... g-man-2011

To address some of the obvious concerns and raise some questions:

- Shrinkage will happen over the summer as you build it, and won't be too bad during the week on the playa. We didn't have trouble with rust either, and if you store it well during the other 51 weeks, you'll have a nice wall to bring back year after year (if you want)

- Holds: Gyms, of which there are a couple in SLC, generally have old crappy holds they donate.

- Your shape: Big planes. You want big planes. But I assume the angles and little planes are the vestige of Sketch Up and not actually part of the plan. Otherwise you'll go insane mitre-ing all the plywood to get it to fit right.

- Transportation: It's gotta be built, then unbuilt and brought to the playa. we did ours in several large framed sections, then bolted them together. Fasteners will be a non-negligible part of your budget.

- I would be wary of having a low-angle slab on your wall. Lots of potential for injury there. Plus slab sucks to climb.

Please keep us updated! I hope this happens...
finchplucker

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp UP

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 am

Ive climbed at several walls at BM and love them. Talk to Rockreation in Salt Lake for wall building advice. Also Eldorado Climbing Walls and EENTRE-PRISES (google them). Has the wall been placed with a theme camp? Whats the address? Thanks!
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Return to 2013 Art & Performance