Driving from Southern California

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Re: Driving from Southern California

Postby vapor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 am

Something to watch out for in Nevada is that many of the towns don't have "reduced speed ahead" warning signs. In theory the roads are straight enough that the posted signs should be visible from as distance, in practice late afternoon or evening after being on the road all day makes it easy to miss from enough distance to slow down. My plan is to slow down in advance of a town regardless of any posted limits . . . I know it will be 45 or less, adding a minute to my trip and maybe pissing off locals by slowing down a mile early aren't worth the possible ticket.
vapor

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 am

Lots of CHP on the 395 yesterday between lone pine and Bishop. slow down!
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

update Driving from Southern California

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 am

Is there an update on taking 167/359 from Lundy north of lee vining CA and mono lake to 95 north through hawthorne and schurz NV? Did anyone drive it in 2012? How was it? How much time does one save vs the 395?
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: update Driving from Southern California

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:Is there an update on taking 167/359 from Lundy north of lee vining CA and mono lake to 95 north through hawthorne and schurz NV? Did anyone drive it in 2012? How was it? How much time does one save vs the 395?

I've done it in 2011 and 2012 and no issues. I think you do save some time, especially that stretch through carson city with all the stoplights, but it's hard to compare. The main thing is that there's a lot less climbing that way and the roads are straighter. It's a good route if you're hauling a lot of stuff. If it's just a lightly packed car, then 395 is a beautiful drive up in the sierras.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am

Oops, actually I take the 6 out of bishop (6->360->95), and don't go through Lee Vining. There's a big grade just north of bishop that you can avoid this way.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
mudpuppy000

Previous

Return to Transportation