LA Based, looking for pyros for communal project

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

LA Based, looking for pyros for communal project

Postby ericincalif » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I wasn't too sure where to post first, so trying here.

How about this? I'm at a crossroads in life. Turning 50. Retiring from a career. Possibilities....

Last year was my first. One of, if not THEE experiences of my life. Long story short...

So I have this idea. To build a fresnel lens on a rig, that makes it adjustable, and gives you a pinpoint spot that can reach 2000F. Enough to have fun with ....

Where I'm at is, this is something I can really throw into. Can probably build this single handed (with help from youtube where the idea came from) But, a few compadre's with fire safety and playa experience would be wise. And perhaps joining forces from the so cal area.
Perhaps some fire-themed folk from the area would like one more little side show to add to their camp/performance/thing?

This really could be a life changing event for me ... in so many ways. Do contact for me details or questions.

Peas.
ericincalif

Re: LA Based, looking for pyros for communal project

Postby fritz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 am

Sounds like an amazing project. Good luck!
fritz

Burning Since: 2009

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Consider using the Spark collaboration tool to connect with others who may be able to help, and read up on the main site for as much information relating to fire safety as you can. Even though you're not making actual fire art, creating a beam that can generate that kind of heat raises very similar issues regarding injury, safety, and cleanup (that temp would probably leave a burn scar). You may also want to connect with someone at the ARTery for suggestions on ways to pull this off safely. Good luck, the project sounds like it could be fun!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ericincalif » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regrouping: my first post was poorly written and lifeless, I know. Sorry, I was a few beers in. What I envision has evolved so heres the change. Last year, my first, was spent camped at the airport and I'm looking at returning there. I'm sure this project will fit in just fine there.
I started with this name last year but never posted or used this account and now that I'm committed to the burn, I should set things up so that is reflected. Have a new account and that's the permanent one.
That said, thanks for the advice and I will certainly review all the fire/hazard safety info I can find. That said, I've worked around hazards all my life and intend to keep it safe and fun.
Then again, I did learn the motto "Safety Third" during my virgin year. So there's that.
See ya out in the dust...

Voyage
ericincalif

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm

What are you thinking of using it for? Some sort of death ray? :D

You could also turn it into a spotlight at night.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby blueeyedtreefrog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

blueeyedtreefrog

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Playagon Village

Postby Token » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

ericincalif wrote:...

So I have this idea. To build a fresnel lens on a rig, that makes it adjustable, and gives you a pinpoint spot that can reach 2000F. Enough to have fun with ....

You know, The Man was already lit on fire mid-week once before. They caught the guy and he went to jail. Nasty, in the middle of the desert prison. He didn't last long after that.

Just sayin'
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Return to 2013 Art & Performance