Water stock up?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Water stock up?

Postby Two-Wheeled-Adventure » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am

To all you veterans out there,

Is water readily available in Gerlach? Or is my best bet in Reno. I'm arriving by motorcycle and have four 5 gallon bladders. Its about 172lbs of water. I'm trying to minimize my travel time with the additional weight on my bike. How well does the little town stock up before the event? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Devin
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Two-Wheeled-Adventure

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Water stock up?

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 am

If you check the link below, you'll find the links to Preparation and various resources, which include a link that tells all about sources of water (water: vital info).

One of which is in Gerlach, so you won't be carrying the water from further afar, nor paying for the gas to do so.
You do NOT want to carry that water from Reno or even Fernley.
Up and down the hills in crazy Burning Man traffic. Need a sudden stop and you've got extra weight and possibly shifting weight for balance roulette?

Some people bring minimal water, buy ice and save the melt water. If you start to run low later in the week, you can buy some ice.
But, most camps bring more water than they need, so find a nice way to ask.
Either saves you a trip back out to Gerlach, by bike or on the shuttle, should you use more than you bring.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:22 pm

I went to the main site and looked for the 2013 Resources list.

Then I did a page search for "water" so I didn't have to read the whole page. I found this (in addition to some info about Gerlach having some trash collection resources; $10 for the first bag; $5 for each additional bag--very cool).

Gerlach Town Water Sales and Disposal Drop Off Burning Man Festival 2013

The Town of Gerlach will be selling potable water for RVs and portable water containers. We will have containers for sale on a first come basis. 15 gallon containers are $45.00, 6 gallon containers are $20.00 and 7 gallon containers are $25. Free water when you purchase a container from us! We will not be taking reservations for water sales or containers.

We will have multiple filling stations in front of the town shop located at 330 Short Street. Signs through town will help you locate the water station filling area. Our rates remain the same at $.50/gallon up to 100 gallons, $.45/gallon for sales above 100 and less than 200 gallons, and $.40/gallon for sales greater than 200 gallons.
We only accept cash. An ATM machine will be available for your convenience.

Water Sales Days and Hours of Operation
Mon., 8/19 – Thurs., 8/22 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Fri., 8/23 - Mon. 8/26 8:00 am to midnight Tues., 8/27 & Wed. 8/28 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

[For more on this, and trash collection]
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/r ... fRT3OAaV5E

Some camps supply group water. If they don't list it as an amenity on their website or in their communications, you should figure it's a "no" (and that they may roll their eyes a little). It doesn't technically hurt to ask, but almost all camps are very explicit about what your dues pay for, that's all.

I would not (personally) ask a non-group-water camp to think of me as a special case, but if I were friendly with people within the camp I would negotiate with 1-3 people in the hopes of obtaining a 2.5 gallon suitcase or two from each, and pay for it at the event with cash and cocktails. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby newbiehippie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm

What about arranging for a passing RV or Truck heading to Burning Man to carry two of your water bladders in from Gerlach? You should be able to find someone with a little extra space for a few containers. Plus, I'm certain everyone driving around your motorcycle would rather you are riding safely into camp than trying to haul more than is possible.

Just fill up at Gerlach, and ask around at the pumping station.
newbiehippie

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Return to Food & Drink