Camo Netting for Shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camo Netting for Shade structure

Postby dnightshade » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:55 pm

This will be my second year at Burning man. This will be my first year not going with a theme camp. I'm going with a group of other people and we are trying to come up with a good way to shade ourselves.

Anyways I have a quonset hut... monkey hut style shade structure. Which is good for a common area. However, I bought a new tent this year. I got a springbar tent. At the time they were out of the shade structure that come with some the tents. Now my tent won't fit under the quonset hut because it's so tall.

Anyways we were thinking about trying out camo netting this year. I was wondering how on would go about rigging camo netting up. Do we need a structure or can we just drape it over our tents? Any input would be appreciated.
dnightshade

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:10 pm

You can drape it, but id use a couple, well secured posts, to take full advantage of the shade. Helped my buddy set up his camo netting @ 4th of juplaya, just before a huge dust storm...didn't seem to affect the netting.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Token » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Camo netting won't help much shading a tent. Most camo is 40% shade. To keep a tent cool you need full shade.

Spreader bars for camo are usually sold at the same surplus merchants. They work as if they were designed for the camo.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Token wrote:Camo netting won't help much shading a tent. Most camo is 40% shade. To keep a tent cool you need full shade.

Spreader bars for camo are usually sold at the same surplus merchants. They work as if they were designed for the camo.

I disagree. Its constantly moving, so id say 60% at least. And I've always enjoyed it!...let's air in

TomServo

Postby Token » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Oh its great for general shade, sitting under, breeze and all. I double mine up.

Problem with tents in camo shade is that the solar oven effect happens in the tent unless the shade is complete, 100%.

You might gain 15 minutes or half hour extra sleep if that is the goal.

I guess it's better than nothing.
Token

Postby dnightshade » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 pm

So do you think it'd be better to do something with aluminet or a UV coated tarp?

I'm trying to prevent myself from having to make three quonsets huts for everyone camping. Plus we're shipping all our gear from new england so it is also space limiting.

Keep in mind I'll be using a linen tent instead of a nylon one. I hear linen is more breathable. I've also heard that you can spray water on the outside of the linen tent and the linen will absorb it... then create some type of swamp cooler effect.

Granted I'm not sure how true all this is, but it is what I've heard.
dnightshade

Postby Token » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Aluminet is by far the most portable shade cloth. Super light and packs well. If you can afford it, best stuff on earth.

Indont bring mine to the playa anymore. Its in my garden shading my tomatoes.

You can probably stretch it over your tent since the Springbars have the strong poles.

Aluminet is also directional WRT light diffusion. If you examine the pattern, you can stack two sheets of 70% orthogonally to get near 100% shade.
Token

Postby dnightshade » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 am

So far I feel like my options for shading this tent are either 1) making a new monkey hut... redesigning it so it's taller then the original one. 2) Using aluminet stretching over tent. 3) getting a carport. 4) using camo netting which most people seem to think don't give enough shade.

My friend who is also going down with us also purchased a springbar tent. He's not really the preparing type so I'm basically coming up with some type of idea for both of us to use.
dnightshade

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am

All you need is 4 posts, either PVC or steel Conduit, some rope and rebar. Keep wind resistance in mind. If you want 100% shade, build a box. But id still consider netting!

TomServo

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:10 pm

TomServo wrote:All you need is 4 posts, either PVC or steel Conduit, some rope and rebar. Keep wind resistance in mind. If you want 100% shade, build a box. But id still consider netting!

forget the PVC, or steel post, although they are good suggestions. Just bring a few 2x2, you can cut them , drill them , staple them, and best of all, you can burn them before you go home. having to carry shit in only one direction is great for people coming from a distance!
)'(
Stickygreen

Re:

Postby Schtev » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

Token wrote:Oh its great for general shade, sitting under, breeze and all. I double mine up.

Problem with tents in camo shade is that the solar oven effect happens in the tent unless the shade is complete, 100%.

I'd been debating between a heavy duty silver tarp and shade netting (shade maximization versus stability in storm conditions). Your post pretty much convinced me I should do the tarp and take a chance.
Last edited by Schtev on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Re: Camo Netting for Shade structure

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:22 am

We double our camo netting and it provides a nice dense shade. Airflow is marvelous and it doesn't flap or try to take off in the wind.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks Mr Token for the crossed Aluminet tip!

Aluminet can be ordered from specialized greenhouse suppliers. The bulk of it goes to commercial greenhouses and farms. Now is crush time for orders, and it takes longer if you need the edges taped and grommeted, which I recommend.

If you are going to order Aluminet for Burning Man there is often a cutoff for orders in time for the event that is about 3 weeks before = NOW. Plan accordingly.

I like Gothic Arch Greenhouses and they have a special BM order desk. There are several other fine suppliers as well.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby TomServo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for bumping this thread. Reminded me of a question I never asked. While aluminet can be punctured by sharp objects, yet will not tear...does the affected area produce aluminum moop?

TomServo

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 am

It doesn't shed. It does puncture. It's flat aluminized mylar which is tough and stretchy, that runs at cross direction to another weave that is also somewhat stretchy and very tough. It can be "punctured" where a hole stretches the weave apart. So if you have a post in the middle of a sheet, you need to spread the force out. It will catch some wind, but not like a tarp.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby CornMan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I bought a camo net recently. I think I'll drape it over our pub mainly for decoration.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:I bought a camo net recently. I think I'll drape it over our pub mainly for decoration.

And to hide it from pesky sting operations...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re:

Postby Schtev » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Random thought:

tent -> custom cut reflectix panels -> fly -> camo netting doubled up

I bet that would work really well. I found the reflectix panels alone were pretty decent when I used them in 2010. Pretty much 100% shade, as you say.

Token wrote:Oh its great for general shade, sitting under, breeze and all. I double mine up.

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Theraplst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:26 am

Would crossed aluminet be a viable small scale shade structure? I essentially want to have a reflective layer that allows airflow with about a 5 inch gap around my tent to allow me to sleep in jusstt a little bit. I'll be taking in a 1-2 person tent about 3 ft tall, 7 ft long, and 4 ft wide.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Theraplst wrote:Would crossed aluminet be a viable small scale shade structure? I essentially want to have a reflective layer that allows airflow with about a 5 inch gap around my tent to allow me to sleep in jusstt a little bit. I'll be taking in a 1-2 person tent about 3 ft tall, 7 ft long, and 4 ft wide.

Not worth it, in my opinion. A Heavy Duty Silver tarp will give you Total sun block, and if you NEED to increase airflow, U-shaped slits can be cut into the face of the tarp. But, unless your completely sealing your tent with some sort of shade material, It's not really necessary. I WOULD, however, reinforce the grommets with duct tape...Before you leave your house.

TomServo

Postby Schtev » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:07 pm

A heavy duty silver tarp with slits is probably the best shade, yeah. But personally I found as a solo traveler without my own vehicle that a setup like that was a real logistical headache. The tarp itself is pretty heavy and takes up a fair bit of bag and camp space (a lot of camps limit the size of your shelter footprint). That weight also means that regular tarp poles and thinner line probably won't cut it. So you'd need heavier poles and rope, which adds even more weight and takes up more space. I feel its best to balance the effectiveness of the shade structure with your personal logistical limitations. The "perfect" shelter may not be worth the pain in the ass of getting it there.

TomServo wrote:
Theraplst wrote:Would crossed aluminet be a viable small scale shade structure? I essentially want to have a reflective layer that allows airflow with about a 5 inch gap around my tent to allow me to sleep in jusstt a little bit. I'll be taking in a 1-2 person tent about 3 ft tall, 7 ft long, and 4 ft wide.

Not worth it, in my opinion. A Heavy Duty Silver tarp will give you Total sun block, and if you NEED to increase airflow, U-shaped slits can be cut into the face of the tarp. But, unless your completely sealing your tent with some sort of shade material, It's not really necessary. I WOULD, however, reinforce the grommets with duct tape...Before you leave your house.
Schtev

Postby Token » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Tho I agree the tarp is 100% shade, it is just too much work to set it up correctly and is unforgiving in the wind.

Two sheets of 12' x 12' Aluminet and a couple three poles can make a real nice A frame for a small tent. Some 12" carpenter nails and tension the netting, then pound into playa.
Token

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Camo Netting, while expensive, is much more effective and, cheaper than aluminet. But, if you want shade..get a silver tarp. They make MANY sizes, and are only as difficult as you make them. I, personally, don't fuck around, and use frame tents, whenever possible...and T-posts. IMHO, aluminet is pretty and perfect for garden parties, but it's also reflective..and so is the playa. While you're blocking SOME sunlight, the light that is allowed in, is just being reflected by that white shit under your feet...and reflected again by the inside aluminet... Degrees of shade should be as close to 100% as you can get, in the High Desert.
Wind loads on any flat surface, can be extreme on the playa. But, with clever placement and solid anchoring, it's only the material doing the work. Again, slits cut into the tarp will dramatically cut wind loads down on a tarp. The notion that a tarp is bulkier than aluminet is silly. Tarps are perfectly FLAT, and can be folded or rolled as tight as you want. Heavier? Sure!..by a few ounces..

TomServo

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:54 pm

The "perfect" shelter may not be worth the pain in the ass of getting it there.

Oh! IT IS!

TomServo

Postby Schtev » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Wouldn't recommend frame tents, T-poles and heavy duty tarps unless you're travelling exclusively in a ground vehicle from home to the Burn and back again.

TomServo wrote:Camo Netting, while expensive, is much more effective and, cheaper than aluminet. But, if you want shade..get a silver tarp. They make MANY sizes, and are only as difficult as you make them. I, personally, don't fuck around, and use frame tents, whenever possible...and T-posts. IMHO, aluminet is pretty and perfect for garden parties, but it's also reflective..and so is the playa. While you're blocking SOME sunlight, the light that is allowed in, is just being reflected by that white shit under your feet.
Wind loads on any flat surface, can be extreme on the playa. But, with clever placement and solid anchoring, it's only the material doing the work. Again, slits cut into the tarp will dramatically cut wind loads down on a tarp. The notion that a tarp is bulkier than aluminet is silly. Tarps are perfectly FLAT, and can be folded or rolled as tight as you want. Heavier? Sure!..by a few ounces..
Schtev

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:03 pm

My philosophy is: "Make it as comfortable as possible. Make it as strong as possible. That way you can go out into the playa without fear, that you're comfy home has blown away."

Yes, you cannot haul T-posts in a Honda Civic. Nor can you negotiate vast expanses of playa dunes in a Honda Civic. Come prepared!

TomServo

Postby Theraplst » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:22 am

I have a 10x20 silver tarp from last years monkey hut but I' don't plan on bringing that, as you said, it's a logistics nightmare. I'm taking the burner express bus, so i have limited space. I'll look into camo netting to see if i can find a good setup for that, and i'm following up on a lead about some aluminet that I can get for cheap. Finding some extra tent poles is also something I'm gonna have to do as well.

What, in your opinion, is the best way of setting up small scale shade (something to drape over a tent essentially) while keeping it off the tent and allowing air to flow through? with my packing space in mind. I was thinking of basically setting it up like a larger A tent over my A tent.

Btw, my tent sits at 36 inches high at the top, 48 inches wide at the entrance, 37 inches at the back, and 82 inches long with guy lines on all four sides pulling it tight. I'm looking at using 10" nails to set the guy lines for the tent, and maybe getting stronger rope if it looks needed.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Schtev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:15 am

I have to deal with similar restrictions. In 2010 what I did was cut out custom Reflectix panels to fit over my tent poles and cover the entire tent, an idea I got from here http://www.flickr.com/photos/48854860@N00/sets/72157601392305368/detail/. Then I cut slits in those panels to run the fly lines through and placed the fly over top of the Reflectix shell (I vaguely recall possibly using a white sheet as well to cover ground level gaps or something, but don't quote me on that). I found this worked well enough that I was able to manage afternoon naps inside the tent, yet was super light and not too difficult to manage. As a bonus it also helps you keep warmer at night.

This year I'm thinking I'm gonna add some camo netting to that Reflectix setup, possibly two of them or one larger one doubled up, and some plastic clip-on grommets. I've got some backpacking grade tarp poles and some line which I'll use to attempt to pitch the netting a-frame style over the top of the tent, leaving at least a one foot gap. If for some reason it turns out I just can't make that work, I'll just drape the netting directly over the fly surface and secure it using the bottoms of the tent poles (yay fallback plan).

Also, I got my line from a sailing shop. Nice and thin, yet rated to like 2,000lbs or something insane like that. I've heard parachute cord has similar properties, but I've never tried it.

Theraplst wrote:I have a 10x20 silver tarp from last years monkey hut but I' don't plan on bringing that, as you said, it's a logistics nightmare. I'm taking the burner express bus, so i have limited space. I'll look into camo netting to see if i can find a good setup for that, and i'm following up on a lead about some aluminet that I can get for cheap. Finding some extra tent poles is also something I'm gonna have to do as well.

What, in your opinion, is the best way of setting up small scale shade (something to drape over a tent essentially) while keeping it off the tent and allowing air to flow through? with my packing space in mind. I was thinking of basically setting it up like a larger A tent over my A tent.

Btw, my tent sits at 36 inches high at the top, 48 inches wide at the entrance, 37 inches at the back, and 82 inches long with guy lines on all four sides pulling it tight. I'm looking at using 10" nails to set the guy lines for the tent, and maybe getting stronger rope if it looks needed.
Schtev

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:41 am

some camo net is radar absorbing / neutral, so stuff under it is invisible to aircraft overflights from Fallon.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:17 am

EspressoDude wrote:some camo net is radar absorbing / neutral, so stuff under it is invisible to aircraft overflights from Fallon.

Now, THAT is something they don't factor into the SPF ratings!

TomServo

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping