BURN2 Training Camp July 26-29 online in Second Life

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

BURN2 Training Camp July 26-29 online in Second Life

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 am

First - what's BURN2?
It's the Burning Man virtual regional group in the free-to-play online world of Second Life. In a way, it was the original Camp Envy. Way back in 2003 (long before there were live webcam feeds from Black Rock City), some of the game's developers who were long-time burners had to miss Burning Man... so they burned a virtual man inside the virtual world.

Now it's 2013. BURN2 takes place from October 19-27 (allowing people who participate in Burning Man to also be involved with BURN2). To help both regular Second Life (SL) residents who don't know anything about the event, and to help real life (RL) burners who know about the event but not how to build things in Second Life, the organizers are offering up some training.

Training Camp
July 26-29 2013

What is it?
This is an opportunity to get a feel for the main event in October, the Burning Man Regional in SL, and see how you can create more of a RL experience.
It is to help provide you with skills and ideas to continue with throughout the year. It is not just an event for builders, but it is certainly to help builders and any one else that wants to learn more about the Playa in both worlds and how best to handle it.

What is offered/happening?
There is the opportunity to have a little 'practice run' for the main event, where you can get a little plot to construct an art or theme camp (building skills not essential)
  • Information about the 10 principles.
  • Information about the environment of the Playa, and what is normally possible and practical on it (some free textures offered).
  • Building lessons and furthering building skills (total novices very welcome, and there are challenges for experienced builders).
  • Ways to make the experience better for all:
    • Saving prims (prims are the building-blocks you make things with in Second Life)
    • Cutting impact on the sim and cutting lag (or building more efficiently to reduce server load)
    • Adding a bit more reality
    • Being interactive
  • Look at other ways to be involved -
    • Entertainers/DJs, Greeters, Tour guides, Lamplighters
    • Decorating Porta potties
    • Making Art cars for the DMV
    • Make clothes or gifts
    • If you have a skill, we can likely find a way to help you use it

The link below is the landmark, once you're signed on to Second Life, click head over from Friday and through the weekend, and get involved:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/B ... e/65/44/24

Any queries contact Second Life resident Huntress Catteneo

Further notes for participants:
There is the possibility that some individuals who demonstrate a good understanding of the 10 principles and Playa aesthetics, may be gifted a small plot for the October event.

For more information about BURN2, check out the web site here.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: BURN2 Training Camp July 26-29 online in Second Life

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 am

I'm a Second Life resident, and have been participating in the virtual burn since 2008. You can find me in-world (the term for when you're running the app and connected to the virtual world) under the name TriloByte Zanzibar.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 am

I did secondlife from 2005 to 2009.. .. coming from an IRC background it was sort of dif than the way i had been used to communicating/interacting on the net.. as i never really got into the whole building junk or 'doing stuff'/shopping/activities thing..i stopped visiting

as for the burning man thing.... it was kind of neat to walk around and see similar type stuff as a burn.. but again.. i never really got the interactions i had been used to getting ...... theyve got an online secondlife version of a department that ive been involved with for years.... and somehow.. nobody in the RL dept knows of anyone doing the secondlife version if it... which is kind of interesting in a way...... so it felt kinda lonely and disconnected :-(

im guessing an online specific training camp/class type thing could work good in that venue.. its really, in my opinion, more suited to that than just random wanderings by newcomers.. (its hard to break in to the cliques and norms and expectations of the longtimers... more-so than RL!)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am

I used to loooove IRC.

Never tried SecondLife though. Seems like it'd be fun.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm

it is/it can be fun...its certainly worth trying out just in general.. for something to do..

and even if ya just go there for a few days to do this training thing.. it certainly is suited to what is basically a meeting/training session ... so however much fun it is outside of that wont much matter.. because id have to say that it would fit this purpose well, even for those not looking to become a part of that community

(its late july so the only? burning man channel on IRC is actually semi-active! hooray!.. no training session though ;-) )
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Regionals & Events