It's the Burning Man virtual regional group in the free-to-play online world of Second Life. In a way, it was the original Camp Envy. Way back in 2003 (long before there were live webcam feeds from Black Rock City), some of the game's developers who were long-time burners had to miss Burning Man... so they burned a virtual man inside the virtual world.
Now it's 2013. BURN2 takes place from October 19-27 (allowing people who participate in Burning Man to also be involved with BURN2). To help both regular Second Life (SL) residents who don't know anything about the event, and to help real life (RL) burners who know about the event but not how to build things in Second Life, the organizers are offering up some training.
July 26-29 2013
What is it?
This is an opportunity to get a feel for the main event in October, the Burning Man Regional in SL, and see how you can create more of a RL experience.
It is to help provide you with skills and ideas to continue with throughout the year. It is not just an event for builders, but it is certainly to help builders and any one else that wants to learn more about the Playa in both worlds and how best to handle it.
What is offered/happening?
There is the opportunity to have a little 'practice run' for the main event, where you can get a little plot to construct an art or theme camp (building skills not essential)
- Information about the 10 principles.
- Information about the environment of the Playa, and what is normally possible and practical on it (some free textures offered).
- Building lessons and furthering building skills (total novices very welcome, and there are challenges for experienced builders).
- Ways to make the experience better for all:
- Saving prims (prims are the building-blocks you make things with in Second Life)
- Cutting impact on the sim and cutting lag (or building more efficiently to reduce server load)
- Adding a bit more reality
- Being interactive
- Look at other ways to be involved -
- Entertainers/DJs, Greeters, Tour guides, Lamplighters
- Decorating Porta potties
- Making Art cars for the DMV
- Make clothes or gifts
- If you have a skill, we can likely find a way to help you use it
The link below is the landmark, once you're signed on to Second Life, click head over from Friday and through the weekend, and get involved:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/B ... e/65/44/24
Any queries contact Second Life resident Huntress Catteneo
Further notes for participants:
There is the possibility that some individuals who demonstrate a good understanding of the 10 principles and Playa aesthetics, may be gifted a small plot for the October event.
For more information about BURN2, check out the web site here.